Mini 0803 coming

I know, I'm an idiot, there got that out of the way.

Anyway, I received one of the 0803 models from E-Prance last week. If you need a hand warmer it is great! It gets so hot I can't touch the metal parts on the ports and even the plastic is uncomfortable to hold. The picture is poor, kind of like a watercolor if zoomed any more than full view, practically have to touch bumpers to read a license plate, the 0801's I "had" were better. They went back after trying to make them work.

Silly me, thinking that since it said it wouldn't ship till May (on Amazon) that it wouldn't be a pre-release model, but it showed up much earlier. Any input on why it would run so hot? I'm afraid it might set my car on fire if I leave it plugged in while I am in a store. I have contacted the seller and they are willing to refund it, so if I can't make it run better it will go back. FW is 20140326 V1.0. It was $106, same as the 0801.

Amazingly, they are no longer in stock. Go figure . 3rd time has not been a charm, but I will try again. Maybe FoxOffer, but they make you pay for return shipping on defects. Not sure I want to take that chance with the track record I have with these cameras so far!

Here are the "specs": https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JIPRKO2
E-PRANCE latest Mini 0803 Ambarella A7LA50D Chip Full HD 1296P(Upgrade Mini 0801),With GPS Logger,No Internal Memory Model
Features: 1.1296P Full HD camera
2.Ambarella A7LA50D program
3.1.5 inch TFT LCD color screen
4.H.264 compression technology
5.High definition Video output

Specification: 1.Item:Car DVR Recorder
2.Lnes:135 degree wide angle
3.Pcocessor:Ambarella A7LA50D(1296P) program
4.Screen Size:1.5"TFT LCD color screen
5.Video Codec:H.264 compression technology
6.Storage:TF Card up to 32GB
7.Video Resolution:2304X1296/1920x1080/1440x1080/1280x720
8.Record loop:Optional cyclic video recording
9.Frame rate:30 Image Sensor:AR0330
10.File format: Video:MOV Photo:JPG
11.Video save interval: 1 min/3 min/5min
12.record :Video record / Audio record / Motion detect record
13.Playing:Video / Photo
14.HDMI port:High definition Video output
15.USB Port: Power input / Data transmission
16.Power:USB power adapter, Built-in Battery
17.Material: ABS

Additional Features: 1.WDR: YES
2.SOS: YES
3.Motion Detection: YES
4.AV Out: YES
5.GPS logger :YES

Package Details: 1.Item Color: Black
2.Item Weight:0.40KG
3.Item Dimensions: 16*13*10 CM
4.Package Include:
--1 x Recorder
--1 x Car Adapter
--1 x USB data cable
--1 x 3M sticker
--1 x User Manual
--1 x Car Fixed Bracket

Last edited:
Is there any chance you could upload any footage from the camera - either a file straight from the memory card or a Youtube link would be appreciated please?

Anyway, I received one of the 0803 models from E-Prance last week. If you need a hand warmer it is great! It gets so hot I can't touch the metal parts on the ports and even the plastic is uncomfortable to hold. The picture is poor, kind of like a watercolor if zoomed any more than full view, practically have to touch bumpers to read a license plate, the 0801's I "had" were better. They went back after trying to make them work.

Silly me, thinking that since it said it wouldn't ship till May (on Amazon) that it wouldn't be a pre-release model, but it showed up much earlier. Any input on why it would run so hot? I'm afraid it might set my car on fire if I leave it plugged in while I am in a store. I have contacted the seller and they are willing to refund it, so if I can't make it run better it will go back. FW is 20140326 V1.0. It was $106, same as the 0801.

Amazingly, they are no longer in stock. Go figure . 3rd time has not been a charm, but I will try again. Maybe FoxOffer, but they make you pay for return shipping on defects. Not sure I want to take that chance with the track record I have with these cameras so far!

E-PRANCE latest Mini 0803 Ambarella A7LA50D Chip Full HD 1296P(Upgrade Mini 0801),With GPS Logger,No Internal Memory Model

4.Package Include:
--1 x Recorder
--1 x Car Adapter
--1 x USB data cable
--1 x 3M sticker
--1 x User Manual
--1 x Car Fixed Bracket
Is there any chance you could upload any footage from the camera - either a file straight from the memory card or a Youtube link would be appreciated please?

This is the same effect I'm getting on my 0803 which is a pre production model

4.Package Include:
--1 x Recorder
--1 x Car Adapter
--1 x USB data cable
--1 x 3M sticker
--1 x User Manual
--1 x Car Fixed Bracket

Mine to gets very hot

This is the same effect I'm getting on my 0803 which is a pre production model
Is it not better when WDR is turned off then?

Yes, if you turn WDR off, that effect disappears, but it does not then work good in low light conditions.
I bought mine mainly for WDR as most of my driving is at night.
If no firmware fixes this issue, I will buy another, but only once this issue is fixed.

4.Package Include:
--1 x Recorder
--1 x Car Adapter
--1 x USB data cable
--1 x 3M sticker
--1 x User Manual
--1 x Car Fixed Bracket

Yes, if you turn WDR off, that effect disappears, but it does not then work good in low light conditions.
I bought mine mainly for WDR as most of my driving is at night.
If no firmware fixes this issue, I will buy another, but only once this issue is fixed.

I've been testing the Mini 0803 we have in stock at www.BlackBoxed.ca and it does get very slightly warmer than the Mini 0801, but not warm enough that I would worry about it. It seems like something is wrong if it is getting that hot. How's the weather like where you are at right now?

We do offer warranty on our dash cams, so maybe you can give us a try.

Kelvin

Kelvin, what firmware ships with your cameras? Do you have the firmware.bin file you can post?

I've been testing the Mini 0803 we have in stock at www.BlackBoxed.ca and it does get very slightly warmer than the Mini 0801, but not warm enough that I would worry about it. It seems like something is wrong if it is getting that hot. How's the weather like where you are at right now?

We do offer warranty on our dash cams, so maybe you can give us a try.

Kelvin

It's springtime in Alaska, not even leaves on the trees yet. Not that hot. Sun starting to warm up the cars through the windshields, but it was 27 the night before last and 50's average during the day. We are having an unusually warm spring and have hit 60. So if it can't handle that, what is going to happen to one in Texas?

They said it might be getting hot because of running a too fast of a card (it is supposed to take class 10!) so I am trying it with a class 6 today. So far it hasn't scorched me, but I am in a different vehicle today, too. I have been just sticking it to the dash with museum putty since I have had so much trouble with them I don't want a permanent mount until I have one I am sure works.

I'll try to later tonight. Unfortunately I will not be able to test night vision unless I take it to the basement and turn off all the lights and use a flashlight or such. It already doesn't get dark here at night.

For the mini 0801, there was a post that stated the current draw measured..

GPS locked, recording, screen on, led blue flashing, 0.50A

Anyone with a meter that can measure the current draw on the 0803?

Kelvin, what firmware ships with your cameras? Do you have the firmware.bin file you can post?

I'll post it here for you as soon as I get it from the supplier.

It's springtime in Alaska, not even leaves on the trees yet. Not that hot. Sun starting to warm up the cars through the windshields, but it was 27 the night before last and 50's average during the day. We are having an unusually warm spring and have hit 60. So if it can't handle that, what is going to happen to one in Texas?

They said it might be getting hot because of running a too fast of a card (it is supposed to take class 10!) so I am trying it with a class 6 today. So far it hasn't scorched me, but I am in a different vehicle today, too. I have been just sticking it to the dash with museum putty since I have had so much trouble with them I don't want a permanent mount until I have one I am sure works.

We are having weather close to that in Toronto. I'm not using a Class 10 card myself so that's why I might not be having that problem.

Keep us updated with that Class 6 card!

Kelvin

Camera shipped with 20140326 v1.0 or similar. I updated it to 20140422 v1.0, with E-PRANCE boot logo, last night. I have GPS with no internal memory.

dp

Camera shipped with 20140326 v1.0 or similar. I updated it to 20140422 v1.0, with E-PRANCE boot logo, last night. I have GPS with no internal memory.

dp

download V3 from here http://dc.p-mc.eu/?page=mini0803.firmware you may need to rename the file if it's not named correctly, as you've updated once already I'm sure you're familiar with the naming convention and upgrade process

Hi Jokiin. Thanks for your reply. I tried updating to this firmware and it failed. Suggestion? Will try again tonight. perhaps you have to flash sequentially to get the latest version to work?

Not sequential, only reason it would normally be an issue is if you had the file name wrong and it was expecting something else

Back