Mini 0803 coming

No, I don't think you can, the camera will only record from either internal or external not both, in the menu, you can select which card you want to use...Internal or external.

If you choose internal, it means you will have to remove the camera from the car, connect the camera to your computer to view footage, where as, if you record on external card, you just need to remove the micro SD card to view footage.

The 0803 will not switch from internal to external on It's own.

Thanks leggo
Does class 6 or 10 work best with the 0803

Although I did try a 32gb class 10 card and it sent the camera crazy, it started making a whining sound and totally locked up, might of just been that card.
I'm using a Samsung 16gb class 6 with no issues so far.

Yeah It's crazy, could go into another store and buy exactly the same card and would work fine.
For people like me, It's hard to tell what is fake and what isn't.

The 32gb card I bought that sent the camera crazy was bought in Currys in Lakeside.

Although I did try a 32gb class 10 card and it sent the camera crazy, it started making a whining sound and totally locked up, might of just been that card.

Watch BBCiplayer, Fake Britain, shown 2/5/2014.
This may explain why !
Every single card which were purchased from one of the largest web market places were all fake

Watch BBCiplayer, Fake Britain, shown 2/5/2014.
This may explain why !
Every single card which were purchased from one of the largest web market places were all fake
Second it. I never had a simple issue with cards. I had one card die on me and what do you know - it was fake Samsung that came with dash cam from Chinese seller. I had no issue with real cards.

Mini 0803 memory.

10 secs @ 720p = 20mb
10 secs @ 1080p=20mb
10 secs @ 1296p =40mb
The bit-rates ares somewhat concerning. The picture quality is far behind of the bit rate increase.
The reasonable bit-rates with this picture quality should be like the one below:
10 secs @ 720p = 7mb
10 secs @ 1080p=10mb
10 secs @ 1296p =20mb (although a bit too much)

I feel like my original 0801 (10 Mbs with similar Picture quality) was a better deal. WDR is the only big plus and may be the ability to use 64GB cards, yet it yields the same recording time only (1080p). With 32GB card - original 0801 may be a better deal.

Last edited:
My Panasonic camera recording in 1080p at 50 fps and a bitrate of 28bps uses 29MB to record 10 secs - so I agree 20mb for 10 secs at 30fps does seem high.
Even if the 720p reported was at 60fps it still seems high as my Pannie records 720p at 50fps and 18bps using 11MB for 10secs.
Maybe I am missing something ;)

I wonder if the overheating problem (reported earlier in this thread) is due to processor overclocking needed to attain 1296p? Someone said it gets slightly warmer than the 0801.

The bit-rates ares somewhat concerning. The picture quality is far behind of the bit rate increase.
The reasonable bit-rates with this picture quality should be like the one below:
10 secs @ 720p = 7mb
10 secs @ 1080p=10mb
10 secs @ 1296p =20mb (although a bit too much)

I feel like my original 0801 (10 Mbs with similar Picture quality) was a better deal. WDR is the only big plus and may be the ability to use 64GB cards, yet it yields the same recording time only (1080p). With 32GB card - original 0801 may be a better deal.

So looks like the 0803 is twice as high as the 0801.
Don't know if It's because It's a pre production model.
Does seem to run very warm (even on a cloudy day )...Warmer than I expected.

Main reason I went for the 0803 was for the WDR.

So looks like the 0803 is twice as high as the 0801.
Don't know if It's because It's a pre production model.
Does seem to run very warm (even on a cloudy day )...Warmer than I expected.

Main reason I went for the 0803 was for the WDR.
I have first release of 0801 (no fw upgrades ever posted) and it did not give me any issues, yet upgraded hardware 0801 that came month later... they still fixing bugs in it...
Sometimes, OEM could decide to use cheaper components for mass production to save a few cents, so it not always win-win.
I do not worry about 0803 as I know I could easily switch to 0801 because of I set up direct PS (5V) terminated with mini usb, and use a specific short tail piece with connector matching the camera exactly the way I want it. I just converted the supplied USB cigarette lighter charger to direct one with cheap enclosure ($5) and fuse holder($1).
I know I could buy a direct 5V adapter for less, but when I looked inside of it - it was so tiny and microscopic that I doubt it could hold 3A it was rated for, also it supplied 5.15V only. The PS supplied with camera produce over 5V (~5.5V) to compensate for long cable run.

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I just converted the supplied USB cigarette lighter charger to direct one with cheap enclosure ($5) and fuse holder($1).
Do you have any links to the enclosure you used, and perhaps a photo of the conversion with the cover off of the enclosure.;)

Do you have any links to the enclosure you used, and perhaps a photo of the conversion with the cover off of the enclosure.;)
Enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003A698L8Fuse holder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0002KR8EE
I used double sided tape (same one as on the mount) to mount the enclosure to other parts surface on top/behind of the the glove box compartment, so it is easy to access it and replace fuse if needed. Left some slack in wires so I could just pool enclosure out enough and replace the circuit board if it fails in the future.

To fit PCB inside of this enclosure I had to file off small area of PCB, next to screw post to curve the PCB around it (opposite to LED corner). The filed off area does not affect circuit as neither optional components are used nor any path is interrupted at this corner. Dremel or grinding wheel would do this job safely.

I used this charger to get mini usb cable and will use its circuit board as backup: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121190461512This is the tail-end for micro usb (0803): https://www.ebay.com/itm/261129558804Here is mini usb tail-end (0801): https://www.ebay.com/itm/291121551273
Attached photo of direct USB adapter for comparision.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I tried mine yesterday with the WDR turned off and it still looks like a water color painting, just not as much contrast. Tried the 2304 x 1296, too. Same picture as 1080. Seems wider is all. This one is going back for sure. Sigh. I will try to post some video and pics, but the weather has been extradorinary and I just can't be inside the house!
OK, who should I order from who will give me a camera that actually works??? I grow weary of this game!

Order at Foxoffer and you'll have a legit 0803.

Enclosure: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003A698L8Fuse holder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0002KR8EE
I used double sided tape (same one as on the mount) to mount the enclosure to other parts surface on top/behind of the the glove box compartment, so it is easy to access it and replace fuse if needed. Left some slack in wires so I could just pool enclosure out enough and replace the circuit board if it fails in the future.

To fit PCB inside of this enclosure I had to file off small area of PCB, next to screw post to curve the PCB around it (opposite to LED corner). The filed off area does not affect circuit as neither optional components are used nor any path is interrupted at this corner. Dremel or grinding wheel would do this job safely.

I used this charger to get mini usb cable and will use its circuit board as backup: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121190461512This is the tail-end for micro usb (0803): https://www.ebay.com/itm/261129558804Here is mini usb tail-end (0801): https://www.ebay.com/itm/291121551273
Attached photo of direct USB adapter for comparision.

Thanks for the detail - will have to get some 'bits' and make a couple for our cars.

I know, I'm an idiot, there got that out of the way.

Anyway, I received one of the 0803 models from E-Prance last week. If you need a hand warmer it is great! It gets so hot I can't touch the metal parts on the ports and even the plastic is uncomfortable to hold. The picture is poor, kind of like a watercolor if zoomed any more than full view, practically have to touch bumpers to read a license plate, the 0801's I "had" were better. They went back after trying to make them work.

Silly me, thinking that since it said it wouldn't ship till May (on Amazon) that it wouldn't be a pre-release model, but it showed up much earlier. Any input on why it would run so hot? I'm afraid it might set my car on fire if I leave it plugged in while I am in a store. I have contacted the seller and they are willing to refund it, so if I can't make it run better it will go back. FW is 20140326 V1.0. It was $106, same as the 0801.

Amazingly, they are no longer in stock. Go figure . 3rd time has not been a charm, but I will try again. Maybe FoxOffer, but they make you pay for return shipping on defects. Not sure I want to take that chance with the track record I have with these cameras so far!

Here are the "specs": https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JIPRKO2
E-PRANCE latest Mini 0803 Ambarella A7LA50D Chip Full HD 1296P(Upgrade Mini 0801),With GPS Logger,No Internal Memory Model
Features: 1.1296P Full HD camera
2.Ambarella A7LA50D program
3.1.5 inch TFT LCD color screen
4.H.264 compression technology
5.High definition Video output

Specification: 1.Item:Car DVR Recorder
2.Lnes:135 degree wide angle
3.Pcocessor:Ambarella A7LA50D(1296P) program
4.Screen Size:1.5"TFT LCD color screen
5.Video Codec:H.264 compression technology
6.Storage:TF Card up to 32GB
7.Video Resolution:2304X1296/1920x1080/1440x1080/1280x720
8.Record loop:Optional cyclic video recording
9.Frame rate:30 Image Sensor:AR0330
10.File format: Video:MOV Photo:JPG
11.Video save interval: 1 min/3 min/5min
12.record :Video record / Audio record / Motion detect record
13.Playing:Video / Photo
14.HDMI port:High definition Video output
15.USB Port: Power input / Data transmission
16.Power:USB power adapter, Built-in Battery
17.Material: ABS

Additional Features: 1.WDR: YES
2.SOS: YES
3.Motion Detection: YES
4.AV Out: YES
5.GPS logger :YES

Package Details: 1.Item Color: Black
2.Item Weight:0.40KG
3.Item Dimensions: 16*13*10 CM
4.Package Include:
--1 x Recorder
--1 x Car Adapter
--1 x USB data cable
--1 x 3M sticker
--1 x User Manual
--1 x Car Fixed Bracket

I tried mine yesterday with the WDR turned off and it still looks like a water color painting, just not as much contrast. Tried the 2304 x 1296, too. Same picture as 1080. Seems wider is all. This one is going back for sure. Sigh. I will try to post some video and pics, but the weather has been extradorinary and I just can't be inside the house!
OK, who should I order from who will give me a camera that actually works??? I grow weary of this game!
@spotmom - Sorry to hear that you ended up with a pre-production Mini 0803 from E-Prance. I suspect that there are two options open to you:-
1. Ask E-Prance to provide you with the latest FW for it and give it another go, and/or
2. Return it to them and get a re-fund. (You could do still do this after trying the FW route, as it sounds like it isn't fit for purpose).
@jokiin - Can you recommend anything else that can be tried to get it working correctly or should spotmom go straight for refund?:confused:

+1 on this matter. From the correspondence I've had with their Support Team (& billknow on Dashcamtalk Forum) I know that they are getting Final Production versions of the Mini 0803 in stock shortly (their site currently says 6th or 7th May).

If you try elsewhere please make sure it is not another Pre-Production unit but a Final Production one with a slightly different lens (see jokiin's post below).
optics are changing, firmware has to be dialed in to suit, if you're happy with how it looks now then go ahead I guess

Whoever you choose, I hope you have better luck!;)

Last edited:

I'll quote my previous post with the answer I got from Foxoffer in this regards. Foxoffer does not ship the pre-production models but the mass production ones that are soon coming.

I received an email response from Foxoffer about which version they will send out:
Actually the manufacture produces 1000 pcs for pre-production, the quality is trustable, the version we have in stock have the latest firmware 0429.
We will ship the version that produced after 4th May, we will get it on 6th May or later.
Thanks.

best regards,
FoxOffer Support Team #1

I saw that they looked pretty good and was considering ordering from them. My only hold back is they make you pay return shipping if the camera is bad and since I am now in the process of returning my 3rd camera it makes me just a little nervous. At this point I am out no money (but lots of time and frustration), but that could change rapidly if I have to pay to return something that doesn't work as advertised!

Back