Mini 0803 coming

Mine freezes occasionally on power up too. Loud noise and no way to turn it off. I don't think it is the memory card. What has been suggested is ejecting the memory card and holding down the power switch. Not sure if this works...

I reported same in the bug thread.

Hi, I ordered a mini 0803 on 05/29 at Foxoffer. It has been 4 days and they still haven't shipped out yet. How long do you guys received yours after ordering it?
Date Ordered: Wednesday 28 May, 2014

Mine left the next day, so with a little luck I should receive it late next week.

My first post so be gentle.

I'm going to purchase a mini 0803 and I'm deciding where to get it from. Knowing that there are fakes out there, I've read here about some of the more reliable places to buy, like Foxoffer, Ojocam, Spytec and others, but I do have some questions for some of you more experienced users. I'm here in the US, live near Spytec and I am considering making a purchase there. On their webpage describing the mini 0803, it says "built by Generic".
http://www.spytecinc.com/mini-0803-car-dash-camera-w-gps-logger-1296p.html#

Does that mean anything that I should be concerned with? Has anyone here purchased a mini 0803 from Spytec?

Ojocam seems to put their name on the mini 0803 according to what I saw on their website. That's on the outside, but just how much can a seller tinker with the inside hardware?

hardware is the same, @OJOCam put their name on it so have a vested interest in making sure the product is sorted I guess and perhaps are more committed to the future of the product, either have a good reputation though for customer service and aftersales service

I fitted mine and tested it yesterday. I am using a mac so had to use quicktime to view the videos, the playback was going fast then slow continuously, very jumpy. Does anyone know if this is a viewer problem?

Will try and find another way of viewing them...

I fitted mine and tested it yesterday. I am using a mac so had to use quicktime to view the videos, the playback was going fast then slow continuously, very jumpy. Does anyone know if this is a viewer problem?

Will try and find another way of viewing them...
From your post I am assuming you were viewing footage directly from your microSD card. You need to copy across the file you want to view to your Mac, then view it on QuickTime Player directly from your Mac.

I've never experienced any problems with jerky footage on my Mac doing it this way. You also might want to consider using Datakam player...
Datakam Player 2.0 released. Now it allows to cut video fragments from video file or video file list.

Download link is here.

Last edited:
hardware is the same, @OJOCam put their name on it so have a vested interest in making sure the product is sorted I guess and perhaps are more committed to the future of the product, either have a good reputation though for customer service and aftersales service

Thanks for the response. I don't want to make the wrong move, so maybe I read into things more than I should.
For example:
Things might change, but right now at this moment, on this webpage for the mini 0803
http://www.spytecinc.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=mini 0803

it says:
  • Includes Ambarella A2s Processor
  • 90 Day Warranty
  • Built by Generic

Ambarella A2s? Shouldn't it be an A7? Did they mess with the hardware, or is it a typo?

Only a 90 day warranty? That's pretty poor. Other places like Ojocam and Foxoffer offer a year.

I'm still interested to know if anyone bought a mini 0803 from this place. They are local, I wouldn't have to wait a week or more for delivery, but if this is really what they are selling in a mini 0803, I'd pass on them.

Ambarella A2s? Shouldn't it be an A7? Did they mess with the hardware, or is it a typo?
It's a typo. They confirm in their additional information "This is the updated version of the popular Mini 0801 dash camera, with an updated Ambarella A7LA50D chipset for 2304 x 1296p 30fps video recording."
Sorry, can't help with feedback regarding SpyTec though, I bought mine at FoxOffer.

From your post I am assuming you were viewing footage directly from your microSD card. You need to copy across the file you want to view to your Mac, then view it on QuickTime Player directly from your Mac.

I've never experienced any problems with jerky footage on my Mac doing it this way. You also might want to consider using Datakam player...

Thanks, I will give it a go :-)

Mine freezes occasionally on power up too. Loud noise and no way to turn it off. I don't think it is the memory card. What has been suggested is ejecting the memory card and holding down the power switch. Not sure if this works...

I reported same in the bug thread.

Mine has only done the "lock-up and buzz" once and it happened when I slid the 0803 into it's mount with my car already running. The 0803 did not like that. I did the FW upgrade to the latest version and the 0803 has not done it since. However, I never insert the 0803 into its mount with the car running anymore.

Thanks for the response. I don't want to make the wrong move, so maybe I read into things more than I should.
For example:
Things might change, but right now at this moment, on this webpage for the mini 0803
http://www.spytecinc.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=mini 0803

it says:
  • Includes Ambarella A2s Processor
  • 90 Day Warranty
  • Built by Generic

Only a 90 day warranty? That's pretty poor. Other places like Ojocam and Foxoffer offer a year.

I'm still interested to know if anyone bought a mini 0803 from this place. They are local, I wouldn't have to wait a week or more for delivery, but if this is really what they are selling in a mini 0803, I'd pass on them.

Hi,

Thanks for the pointing out that error on our site. It is in fact with the Ambarella A7LA50D. I do not think there are any "fake" mini 0803s at the moment.

We are only selling the Mini 0803 with GPS and 8gb internal memory.

Thanks!

About a week ago I placed an order for two Mini 0803 with Spy Tec through Amazon. They show "In Stock", I should get them in about a week or less. Not So! I get a backorder notice. They say no stock until the end of this week. They still are showing "In Stock" and their online chat confirms "In Stock". I sent two email requests for why I have a back order for an "In Stock" item. Two days go by,NO REPLY! I had set two email requests for technical information prior to ordering. Never got a reply. Should have taken their lack of response as a clue to their service. I cancelled my order Friday and I just reported the problem to Amazon. On ebay if a seller doesn't ship it can be reported through feedback, not on Amazon! Just checked, Spy Tec still showing "In Stock"!

I ordered two from FoxOffer. They seem to be reporting their stock properly. Time will tell.

About a week ago I placed an order for two Mini 0803 with Spy Tec through Amazon. They show "In Stock", I should get them in about a week or less. Not So! I get a backorder notice. They say no stock until the end of this week. They still are showing "In Stock" and their online chat confirms "In Stock". I sent two email requests for why I have a back order for an "In Stock" item. Two days go by,NO REPLY! I had set two email requests for technical information prior to ordering. Never got a reply. Should have taken their lack of response as a clue to their service. I cancelled my order Friday and I just reported the problem to Amazon. On ebay if a seller doesn't ship it can be reported through feedback, not on Amazon! Just checked, Spy Tec still showing "In Stock"!

Sorry to hear of your difficulty, but I'm glad to hear someone's review of their dealings with this company.
Their advantage to us here in the United States is that they can ship and we'd get it in days rather than weeks if shipped from China, however, if you have to wait for delivery, you might as well pay way less, get a better warranty, and get it shipped from China. I'm going to order, probably from Foxoffer, and I'll pass on Spytec and their 90 day warranty.

I ordered two from FoxOffer. They seem to be reporting their stock properly. Time will tell.

I apologize for that. We had a whole shipment of Mini 0803 seized by US customs, because of the unauthorized use of the HDMI trademark logo on the mini 0803 packaging. This unfortunate incident did create issues for some customers who ordered the mini 0803 within the last few weeks. We do in fact though have the Mini 0803 with GPS + 8gb memory in stock at this time .

Sorry again for the inconvenience stemming from that order.

I have sent a pm as well.

I have an issue with 0803 received today from Foxoffer.

I have ordered 2 GPS mounts, and both have same issue.

Look at the picture and video (red led is sometimes not lightning).

The 4 pins are not aligned, and disposed like Dalton brothers :confused:
I suspect the left pin not to do a firm contact.

0803_m10.jpg

Attachments

• 0803_mount.jpg
    0803_mount.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 19
I have an issue with 0803 received today from Foxoffer.

I have ordered 2 GPS mounts, and both have same issue.

Look at the picture and video (red led is sometimes not lightning).

The 4 pins are not aligned, and disposed like Dalton brothers :confused:
I suspect the left pin not to do a firm contact.

0803_m10.jpg

Unfortunately chris-s you you are not alone in finding this an ongoing issue.....:mad:

....My only gripe, at the moment, is the way in which the Mini 0803 fixes/attaches to the GPS mount - this does not appear to be all that stable and it wobbles a little bit when in position.
Has anyone else experienced this with their Mini 0803 mount (or on the Mini 0801)? Is there a simple fix or is it just a design flaw??:confused:
EDIT - Just found this post:-
My 0803 is brand new and the camera moves a little bit in the GPS mount when fully inserted into it. Is that what you meant or did you mean that the GPS mount doesn't feel as strong?

...I would also want to see if the mount was improved, since so many complained of loose, shaky mounts over time.
the mount has not been changed
And it's still a bit shaky!
Actually I am quite lucky that I bought two, thinking that I'd fit one to my car and one to my wife's. One mount (or rather where the camera joins the mount) is so shaky that it's virtually unusable, the one I'm using is OK though.
Makes me think that they have a Quality Control issue with the manufacture of these mounts...
yeah I've brought this up multiple times for more than a year, always the same answer of 'it will be improved'

I have sent an email to Foxoffer.
I can't accept this situation.

I've heard that the 0801 mount was better.
So, why this mount has been changed from mini USB to micro USB ???

Should I order 2 pieces of 0801 mounts to have a fully working 0803 for 2 cars ? :confused:

I'm not sure the design of the mount has altered apart from the change from Mini to Micro USB connection. From what I've heard there were also plenty of issues with the Mini 0801 mount, which is what GJHS & jokiin were referring to.

You're probably better off going for replacement Mini 0803 mounts - but who knows??!

I'm not sure the design of the mount has altered apart from the change from Mini to Micro USB connection. From what I've heard there were also plenty of issues with the Mini 0801 mount, which is what GJHS & jokiin were referring to.

You're probably better off going for replacement Mini 0803 mounts - but who knows??!

Only the connector changed

Back