Mini 0803 coming

I have the 0803, so far It's been 100% reliable, no lock ups, never fails to start recording when engine is switched on etc.
Nighttime footage does have a strange mosaic effect, but I can still see everything I need to see, so I'm happy with it.

All pretty impressive what you get out of it considering It's size.

the difference is there but it's minimal, firmware is the biggest problem in the units that shipped already which can obviously be updated after the fact

My 0803 has just been delivered from EPRANCE with the following
FW20140326 V1.1

@jokiin, what version would be best for this 0803 ?

best to wait for a release version, V3 is certainly an improvement in picture quality but there's some other stuff that hadn't been finalised in the build so some features and functions not in the V3 firmware that still need to be addressed, it will be up to the sellers to chase this up for you though

I'm getting more and more lost...

At this point of time, what should I purchase to have a nice picture and good reading of licence plates ?
0801 or 0803 ?
(I will order from Foxoffer)

I'm getting more and more lost...

At this point of time, what should I purchase to have a nice picture and good reading of licence plates ?
0801 or 0803 ?
(I will order from Foxoffer)
Just wait for a month or so. 0801 was not half bad as 0803 when it first came out. Actually, 0801 was very good from get-go. As it stand right now, 0801 it is infinitely better camera at 1080P @ 10-12Mbps when you change video quality settings on 0803 from "S. Fine" (20Mbps) to "Fine" (10-12 Mbps). On 0803 you would not be able to read any text - it would be just full screen blurry watercolor paining. You would recognize contours of the objects only.

Last edited:
I'd like to support the 0803 in Dashcam Viewer. Does anyone know if the 0803 saves movie and data files on the SD card using the same file hierarchy as the 0801? The 0801 file hierarchy is below (with "NO NAME" being the name of the SD card):

mini0801_file_structure.jpg

If the file structure is different for the 0803 can someone post it?

Also, does the 0803 store GPS and G-sensor data in the .log files, just like the 0801?

Thanks!
John

As it stand right now, 0801 it is infinitely better camera at 1080P @ 10-12Mbps when you change video quality settings on 0803 from "S. Fine" (20Mbps) to "Fine" (10-12 Mbps).
You mean 0801 ?

You mean 0801 ?
In order to compare Apple-to-Apple 0803 quality settings should be changed to "Fine", so it will match bit-rates of the 0801 @ 1080P30. These way both cameras would use the same bit-rates. One thing for sure, you would not like video recorded by 0803 at these settings, it would not be usable video even for a blind audience. In "S.Fine" mode (20 Mbps), 0803 could barely keep up with 0801 (10Mbps).

So if I run it in fine mode instead of super fine mode, will that mean the cam won't run as hot?
In "Fine" mode you would not be able to get any usable video recording from 0803 even in 1080P30 mode.

In "Fine" mode you would not be able to get any usable video recording from 0803 even in 1080P30 mode.
You have (I believe) both the 0801 and the 0803. Any chance you could do comparative video from the two and post them somewhere for us to download and look at??

Which firmware version are you on @V8Rocks ?
I tried all FW posted on the download page. Currently it is on 20140416. I think all of a few 0803 current owners think it is "kind of ok", but no one realized that is it barely ok @ twice the bit-rate. At normal bit-rate it would be too obvious to quickly make return decision. I should have listen to your warning, but it seems to be even worse than you thought it was.

I'd like to support the 0803 in Dashcam Viewer. Does anyone know if the 0803 saves movie and data files on the SD card using the same file hierarchy as the 0801? The 0801 file hierarchy is below (with "NO NAME" being the name of the SD card):

If the file structure is different for the 0803 can someone post it?

Also, does the 0803 store GPS and G-sensor data in the .log files, just like the 0801?

Thanks!
John
Hi,
GPS log: http://pastebin.com/MEb1CQNn
you can get the complete folders from here: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-0803-videos.4723/

Last edited by a moderator:
ok well the beta V3 version there is going to give you the best results currently but there's still room for improvement, if it still looks really bad then it could be the your lens focus is not adjusted correctly
I doubt any issue with lens. As picture improves in "S. Fine" (maximum crazy bit-rate). Did you try to switch Quality to "Fine" in V3 ? and see the results in 1080P? I just did and it is slightly better, but not even close to 0801. If 0803 is such great camera, why they sell it below 0801 price? Something it fishy here.

Last edited:
I doubt any issue with lens. As picture improves in "S. Fine" (maximum crazy bit-rate). Did you try to switch Quality to "Fine" in V3 ? and see the results in 1080P?

so it's ok when run at the highest bitrate?

have you tried with WDR turned off also?

Back