Mini 0806 Dashcam - Review and comparison against G90.

Looks like this forum has some issues.
The thumbnails posted inline don't show up for some reason.
It used to work fine.

Now the inline image has proxy address like this:
'https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/proxy.php?image=https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/p1050710-jpg.10875/&hash=e3aadaa0fa1bc02c8d43f6b134628550'

Instead of correct address like this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/p1050710-jpg.10875/

Link works but adding as image or tag shows up as red x instead of the full image from the thumbnail.
p1050710-jpg.10875

Not good.

We are using the image proxy function in Xenforo which hosts all images internally. This makes the site SSL compliant. When you upload the image, did you click on the Insert "Full Image" button? That should work or are you inserting the images in a different way?

Last edited by a moderator:
We are using the image proxy function in Xenforo which hosts all images internally. This makes the site SSL compliant. When you upload the image, did you click on the Insert "Full Image" button? That should work or are you inserting the images in a different way?

I always used the link and pasted in the image box that pops up after clicking on the insert image icon or in [img tag.
I'll try insert full image option.

Can we get the housing replaced for us with the first batch?
Btw, I cleaned the lens and the windshield and no longer see an issue with blurriness on the left side.

Yes, you can send the fault camera directly to our factory or return to your seller for a free replacement.

btw, many blurriness issue come from the windshield reflection under sun shine.

we audited this problem with workers, they reported this maybe because the focusing girls are tired with the big 49" 4K TV for focusing.
49" may be too big, especially for those who are short sighted and if it is positioned too close - try a 23" at normal reading distance, it may look a bit small but it will also look very sharp when the focus is correct.

Never heard of this guy until it was mentioned here. I wouldn't base my purchase opinion just on one guy anyway regardless if he is known or not.

This site has 11,113 members. Techmoan's YouTube channel has 104,049 subscribers.

When Techmoan says "I've really lost confidence in this particular camera now", many potential buyers will automatically strike the Mini 0806 off their shortlist.

What influences your personal purchase decisions is your own business, but it should matter to the manufacturer of the 0806 that they've undoubtedly lost many sales, as a consequence of Techmoan's comments following receipt of a faulty pre-production model, & after buying a faulty production model.

Tip for Manufacturer - before sending pre-production model to influential reviewer for evaluation, test it twice, post it once.

Last edited:
Just downloaded new version. One point of note, Yosemite still flags this as an unknown developer, and as such will not automatically open it. It requires one to open as an exception to the security policy.
NO BIGGIE... but might be nice to work towards becoming a known developer.

LOVE THE SOFTWARE!

Okay, clicking on insert 'Full Image' works. I always used the image links before and used to work.

Also, I remember DCT was not allowing anything above 1920 pixels image size but looks like I can upload even 2560p image now.
What's the file size and mb limit now?
That's good to upload full size screenshots.
clipart-two-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-eec6.png

Here is a 2560x1080p screenshot with GPS showing 000:
Mini 0806-screenshot13-with-CPL.jpg

It took a long time but it did get GPS signal, not consistently though.
I was not driving at 80mph, that's kph but displays as mph. :s
Mini 0806 GPS.jpg

Last edited:
49" may be too big, especially for those who are short sighted and if it is positioned too close - try a 23" at normal reading distance, it may look a bit small but it will also look very sharp when the focus is correct.

now they are using a 27" 2K monitor for re-inspection

What influences your personal purchase decisions is your own business, but it should matter to the manufacturer of the 0806 that they've undoubtedly lost many sales, as a consequence of Techmoan's comments following receipt of a faulty pre-production model, & after buying a faulty production model.
Tip for Manufacturer - before sending pre-production model to influential reviewer for evaluation, test it twice, post it once.

we will take the criticism. That is the price.
we want to make everthing perfect, but the truth is not so wondful at the beginning.

Here is a 2560x1080p screenshot

looks like the dashboard is on the focus, so the further - the correct distrance - is out of focus. That is the point.
The lens need to be re-focused.

looks like the dashboard is on the focus, so the further - the correct distrance - is out of focus. That is the point.
Not convinced about that. The green "MEADOWS" sign is in good focus, but the left side of the image at the same distance is very blurred. Still looks like the lens is dirty to me.

There are some odd marks on the glass - can we see an image taken with the camera outside the car and without the CPL please?

What video quality setting is it?

It also appears that the CPL isn't doing it's job and the reflections are not helping with the image quality.

we will take the criticism. That is the price.
we want to make everthing perfect, but the truth is not so wondful at the beginning.
Thanks Rayman, it's good to see a manufacturer stand up, admit fault and fix the problems. I'm looking forward to see what the 0806 can really do when it matures.

From my experience, close objects like dashboard look okay even if they are slightly out of focus than the farther objects.

Not convinced about that. The green "MEADOWS" sign is in good focus, but the left side of the image at the same distance is very blurred. Still looks like the lens is dirty to me.

There are some odd marks on the glass - can we see an image taken with the camera outside the car and without the CPL please?

It also appears that the CPL isn't doing it's job and the reflections are not helping with the image quality.

Lens is clean as far as I can tell. I checked and also shined a light to check reflection and it's clean in all the corners.
I tried to take it off the mount and it didn't budge.

Windshield has some minor spots from windshield wiper.
Video is at 2560*1080p.
CPL does work but may not be at it's best position. That red band in the middle is from CPL.

It's a great design but need to work out these few issues.

Here is the same picture from G90 at the same time:
16439519305_05984aa738_o.jpg

Last edited:
Same here Nigel, edges not very clear. Lens checked, cleaned, checked. Windshield as clean as it get's.
IT reflects the speak below a lot, with our without CPL, and focus seems not correct. Very hard to read anything,
even on highest settings and straight blue sky.

Gonna do few test today again with both CPL and without. It's very sunny so good tes for it.
Driving towards sun screen get's nearly like in dark, hard to see anytning. This is WITH the CPL filter.

now they are using a 27" 2K monitor for re-inspection

I read in the forum that 2nd batch is only coming after February 5th.
Is that accurate or just imaginary date I read?

Lens is clean, no smudge or dirt.
It's through the windshield so windshield specks are seen.

20150205_074657.jpg

Last edited:
Lens is clean, no smudge or dirt.
It's through the windshield so windshield specks are seen.

View attachment 10948
Ahh - an image of the camera from outside! - what I was asking you for was to take the camera out of the car so that the image it records is unaffected by the windshield or the CPL. Then we can truly see the sharpness of the lens, and if you include both close and distant objects in the image then we can clearly see the point of focus. At present I can't tell if the problems are caused by the camera or the windshield or the CPL, but given that the "MEADOWS" sign is reasonably in focus it seems unlikely to be a focusing problem, could still be a lens problem though.

I can now see the marks on your windshield though which does help, there is nothing that looks like it would cause the blur there, although there could still be an issue with the laminating of the glass in front of the camera, an image without the glass in the way can rule that out.

Ahh - an image of the camera from outside! - what I was asking you for was to take the camera out of the car so that the image it records is unaffected by the windshield or the CPL. Then we can truly see the sharpness of the lens, and if you include both close and distant objects in the image then we can clearly see the point of focus. At present I can't tell if the problems are caused by the camera or the windshield or the CPL, but given that the "MEADOWS" sign is reasonably in focus it seems unlikely to be a focusing problem, could still be a lens problem though.

I can now see the marks on your windshield though which does help, there is nothing that looks like it would cause the blur there, although there could still be an issue with the laminating of the glass in front of the camera, an image without the glass in the way can rule that out.

Yes, but G90 is also there behind the same windshield that doesn't have any out of focus issue.
There is no CPL on the 0806.
I tried to take it out but it's pretty stiff so I may as well take the mount off.

TANGENT QUESTION
Why have you chosen to power 080x directly and not through mount?
Read my 1st post:
...Due to the forward facing charging port on the mount, it's difficult to plug the charger without hitting the windshield.
The charging port on the dashcam is on top and since the mount sticks on the windshield, there is not enough room to plug the charger either but better than the mount as the dascam can be rotated to have some more room.
I had extra micro usb car charger that has right angled plug and that worked much better instead of the provided straight charger plug.
This is what is little tricky. The dascam only rotates forward and backward on the car mount. It does not move side to side so you have to make sure to get the middle of the FOV before you stick it on the windshield.

Back