Mini W51

JooVuu

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have come across this great camera from one of my suppliers called the Mini W51 (http://joovuu.com/gb/home/102-mini-w51-gps-and-car-camera.html). It is a two in one machine:
GPS and car camera. The camera is 720 but it is still pretty good quality and very good disguise. It is also one of the cheapest about I can find. The specs and functions are:

mini-w51-gps-and-car-camera.jpg

Specification

GPS chipset: SiRF Atlas V AT550 ARM11 600MzH

SDRAM: 128MB DDRII SDRAM

DVR chipset: STK2665

Camera Pixel: 1.3 million pixel CMOS

NANDFLASH: 4GB

LCD Screen: 5inch TFT Touch Screen,Resolution 800×480 pixels

USBPort: USB2.0 High SPEED,Support ActiveSync And Mass storage mode

Audio: Internal Speaker/3.5MM Earphone Jack/MIC/FM Transmitter

Extend Memory: TF Card Slot, Maxi 16GB TF Card

Camera Module: OV9712 Module,1.0 mega-pixel CMOS

Recording Video Storage: TF Card

Recording Video Format: JPEG、MJPEG

Recording Duration: 40sec to 170sec/segment Adjustable

Recording Video Size: VGA, QVGA, D1, HD Adjustable 64MB/segment

Picture Pixel: 5M Pixel

Battery: 900mAH 3.7V Li-ionBattery

Power: ThroughMINIUSBPort5V 1.5A

GPS Specification: Sensitivity:-161dbm

Channels:66

Cold Start Up:42 Sec

War Start Up:35 Sec

Hot Start Up:3 Sec

Positioning Precise:10M

Color: Black

Functions

GPS Navigation

Support Igo, NaviOne, Garmin etc

FM Transmitter

Yes

Video Player

Support AVI、RMVB、MP4 Multi Media Formats。

Audio Player

Support mp3、WMA Multi Audio Formats

FLASH Player

Support SWF

Picture Viewer

Support JPG、BMP Multi Picture Formats,with Slide Show Mode

TXT

Support TTS Text-to-Speech

Support Bookmark。

Driving Recording Function

Provide invaluable evidence for insurance needs and help avoid fraudulent claims. Videos are recorded and saved in TF card.

Locate Taken Photos

Automatically adding position data into picture while user is taking pictures. Location of the pictures can be shown on navigation map. (Only for Navigation Map that support this function)

I dont think it come with nav software preloaded as it say "Support Igo, NaviOne, Garmin etc"

Just looked on youtube, and dident find anything.

Also, bear in mind that you can't install & forget, always have to remember to fit & then remove each journey. Each time you fit, you'll have to ensure the cam is pointing in the right direction.
Another problem is the point of view. A satnav isn't going to be in the best position on the screen to get the best footage.
OR, if the cam is pointing in the right direction, the screen of the satnav might not be properly visible!

Ive always liked this idea as it hides within plain sight. Its why I liked my K6000 as it looked a bit like a sat nav, but this even better!

So does it come pre loaded with maps etc?

I suppose its too early to ask for video samples.
Also, bear in mind that you can't install & forget, always have to remember to fit & then remove each journey. Each time you fit, you'll have to ensure the cam is pointing in the right direction.
Another problem is the point of view. A satnav isn't going to be in the best position on the screen to get the best footage.
OR, if the cam is pointing in the right direction, the screen of the satnav might not be properly visible!

Hi,
Regarding the software, we are looking to install some software so you do not have to buy anything, though if you prefer to you have that option - best of both worlds. And regarding the camera issue we are contemplating releasing another product that helps with the camera issues though I do not think it is as discreet. I will post the details about this other model later.

Regarding video footage I will get some uploaded.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I know I keep banging on about it but...

REMOTE lens

Fix a lens to the windscreen with a long cable then simply plug into the satnav each time you wish to use it. At least then the lens can be set up and forgot about?

I know I keep banging on about it but...

REMOTE lens

Fix a lens to the windscreen with a long cable

10000% agree !
This solution I am also "BANGING" hundreds times to most manufacturers I was communicating within past 3 years.
But of course I am a "small fish in the see" and why they should listen to some amateur advice with poor English, from small country with population of a little bit over 4.5mln.

I still have my 4ch iCaro B4 I bought 2.5y ago ( paid over 1K ), - operationally it is great device and by functionality beats most modern 1-2 ch models, but it's unfort 4 x D1 and no good for modern world dashcams.

So I will wait for similar 4ch solution but with high-end video rec performance. maybe before I retire I see it ? :)

have been contemplating what to do with multi cam, some updated hardware now gives us more options for hideaway box and remote cams, have a lot on right though and either need more resources or find someone to work with on it

Multi cams with remote lens is an enthusiast type product - wait are we enthusiasts? :D

Multi cams with remote lens is an enthusiast type product - wait are we enthusiasts? :D

yeah it is in some respects, one of the bigger drawbacks though is it's not as plug and play so for most people would require professional installation

yeah it is in some respects, one of the bigger drawbacks though is it's not as plug and play so for most people would require professional installation

As I see it now just putting in a single front cam many are seeking professional (or a friend of a friend) installation.
You would be surprised how many don't even want to pass a wire through some trim. Let's not even talk hardwiring.

yeah I'm aware of that, it's easy money for an installer also as the process as you'd know is very simple but some people are all thumbs when it comes to doing something themselves

Regarding remote camera install, that some people afraid,- its almost same install as standard dash-cam.
With standard dash-cam still need to run power-cord along windshield A-pillar side or inside A-Pillar to the cigarette lighter. Same way with remote camera. Of course it should be connected to the fuse box, but also can be added an option of connection to cigarette lighter, for those who are not that DIY.
So I dont see why they afraid ?
There are tons of youtube videos which explaining how simple is to push wire into the trim of A-pillar ( this can be done even without any tools ).
My point is that remote camera install and wiring is is 1:1 as standard.

Anyway, I think remote camera is mostly next step for those who already had some kind of dash-camera in the past and want to move further. Those people for sure understand benefits of remote dash-camera and even if they are not DIY-skilled, they will be ready to pay extra 30, 50, 70 ? usd ( eur, GPB ? ) for neat install which actually takes about 30-60 min by professional installer.

- Installer unbox package, read wiring diagramm ( 5 min ? )
- Just stick camera to the wind-shield ( 5 min )
- run video-power cable via A-pillar between trims ( 5 min ) to the glove box.
- main unit installation inside glove-box ( screw in to the glove box top part with brackets ), about 5min
- connect power-cable to the fuse box ( 5-10 min ) using fuse-splitters
- connect all cables ( 5 min )
- test connection, functionality, set-up ( 10-15 min )

total max 60 min.

If to educate people, so they can see benefit of discrete remote dash camera for long term use saving all this time on attach-detach and afraid every day if left dash-cam in the car that it will be stolen etc., - then fairly small installation fee will pay of for this type of dash-camera.

As I see it now just putting in a single front cam many are seeking professional (or a friend of a friend) installation.

What a load of cobblers.
If you can stick a satnav to your windscreen, you can stick a dashcam

Millions of satnavs have been sold, I doubt any of their owners paid to have them installed.
A dashcam is barely any different

Where's your evidence to support these claims?

What a load of cobblers.
If you can stick a satnav to your windscreen, you can stick a dashcam
Where's your evidence to support these claims?

No hard evidence sludgeguts, just by what I hear through the grapevine, read on another forum and others in the extended family who would not want to install it themselves if they had one to install. I agree with you, it's not a difficult thing to do. Many 'satnavs' power cords are left dangling and removed when exiting the car though, so I don't see a direct comparison to in car cameras which are more of a permanent install.

Back