Mini-xxxx redesign concept?

...In my vehicle a design like this would be a more stealthy, more stable improvement partly because of the way the rear view mirror is installed, partly because of the frit pattern and partly because of the tint strip across the top of the glass.
Likewise for mine where I could/would mount it directly on the sensor housing behind the RVM, like I did with the GC.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/attachments/sensormount-jpg.28309/

It would not be any 'stealthier' but with the integrated GPS would be a lot neater install.

That is actually not that far off of what it conceivably might be like except that it would have the added capability for lateral aiming. How is that so different than the concept I've proposed?

Its not, the pic in your OP and the description got me thinking of the DC's rear module as complete camera. Of course the design will need a lot of tweaking as the main unit won't remain permanently fixed inside the mount. Other than a robust mounting mechanism that holds the camera in the exact place set, there's also the question of designing a reliable contact mechanism for the power and GPS.

Its not, the pic in your OP and the description got me thinking of the DC's rear module as complete camera. Of course the design will need a lot of tweaking as the main unit won't remain permanently fixed inside the mount. Other than a robust mounting mechanism that holds the camera in the exact place set, there's also the question of designing a reliable contact mechanism for the power and GPS.

I think the power and GPS could be connected to the mounting plate which would be fixed to the glass, similar to the current method. Of course it would need to be thick enough or have enough depth to accommodate ports. I mentioned a mounting plate in my OP but didn't show one.

Last edited:
Similar with the 0xxx cameras, the end with the swivel click function actually add some to the overall width of the camera housing, and the one ON/OFF button there i think could be put in another location.

Yeah, I think that sounds about right. An on/off switch would have to be on the back of the camera instead of the end.

The bracket itself swivels horizontally in alignment with the lens. How would it get in the way ?

Appreciate that the drawing is very basic and gives nothing away so I'm obviously not understanding from your description how this is meant to work

Appreciate that the drawing is very basic and gives nothing away so I'm obviously not understanding from your description how this is meant to work

Still very primitive, I know, but kind of like this.

mock-up.jpg

The "arms" or "wings" would be tapered and project forward from the base of the bracket.
The camera would attach to a fixed mounting plate similar to the A119 which would have a port for power and a port for GPS. (not shown)

how about a side view, when it's mounted on a windscreen, how are you keeping the bracket out of the way of the lens, does the bracket pivot at the top as well as at the camera?

how about a side view, when it's mounted on a windscreen, how are you keeping the bracket out of the way of the lens, does the bracket pivot at the top as well as at the camera?

Don't have more time to indulge in creating new graphics. Just use your imagination. Others here seems to understand the concept. It's quite simple really.

Still very primitive, I know, but kind of like this.

View attachment 32264

The "arms" or "wings" would be tapered and project forward from the base of the bracket.
The camera would attach to a fixed mounting plate similar to the A119 which would have a port for power and a port for GPS. (not shown)

I see the design working only if the camera is suspended downwards from a suitable low profile mount (like the adhesive one that comes with the WR-1), because if pasted on to the windscreen like the wedge cameras, the main camera unit will definitely come in contact most windscreens due to the rake.

Forgive me but this is starting to look more and more like a wedge cam spin-off with the entire unit moving instead of only the lens, with the only exception of it being detachable.

I see the design working only if the camera is suspended downwards from a suitable low profile mount (like the adhesive one that comes with the WR-1), because if pasted on to the windscreen like the wedge cameras, the main camera unit will definitely come in contact most windscreens due to the rake.

Forgive me but this is starting to look more and more like a wedge cam spin-off with the entire unit moving instead of only the lens, with the only exception of it being detachable.

Well, yes it would be like a wedge cam with the entire unit moving. It would be a gimbal. In this case it would be a gimbal that works on a dual axis. That's the basic concept. Simply put, the "arms" would need to extend down enough to keep the camera away from the windshield enough to pivot laterally a few degrees left or right and the cylinder shaped camera would rotate vertically up or down. They would be tapered in shape.

sorry, not getting it at all

I found the term I was looking for. It's called an alt-azimuth mount. An alt-azimuth is a simple two-axis mount for supporting and rotating an instrument about two perpendicular axes – one vertical and the other horizontal. A gun turret is essentially an alt-azimuth mount for a gun, and a standard camera tripod head is also an alt-azimuth mount. The term is often used in reference to telescopes. This proposed dash cam mount would simply be an upside down Alt-azimuth mount. Think Pan/Tilt.

Last edited:

OK, so I spent a little time this morning creating the side view you requested and developing the concept a bit further. As I've said, it's really quite simple.

(Keep in mind this would still require an added mounting plate for quick release, although I suppose it could be optional.)

side.jpg
mock-up-front3.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a low windscreen there :D but yeah i get where you are going.

yeah not really sure how this is going to work on more vertical windows, the drawing obviously has limited detail so perhaps something we can't see there

It's amusing to see how you guys nit-pic this illustration as if it were an actual product design rather than discuss the concept which in intended to reduce vibration over the current approach. Obviously, this is merely a simple concept mock-up whereas an actual mount and housing would be built to accommodate different windscreen rakes. As it is now even in this graphic anyone can see that all one would need to do as adjust the tilt of the lens higher or lower.

I think i am on board, at least my imagination have shaped something up.
As i see it regular windows should not be a problem, but near or vertical ones will be as i see it, even if the dimensions on the drawing might be a little rough.

The wedge shape that go down to the round cylinder will have to be smaller i think to allow for more lens movement in the "UP" direction, but that should not be a problem.

wait a god damn moment, while i reset my grey goo by pounding my head into my computer table ( 3 AM here )

I completely just ditched the entire concept we been talking about and formed something new up that's more problematic :oops:

Back on track i thill think there might be a little issue with the near or vertical windows as jokiin also seem to have locked on to, but one that is easy to fix.

The 2 arms / prongs that hold the camera cylinder between them just need to be angled more forward, this should make sure that on vertical windows the camera cylinder will hang lower below the mount, and on regular sloped windows it will just bring the camera cylinder closer to the windscreen.
Should not be a issue i think.

I still think the idea are valid,,,, maybe i should try out the new windows 10 3D designer for dummies part.

Back