Mini-xxxx redesign concept?

you could also have a cut out in the base, but for neatness i would prefer it to be a nice rectangular surface. and with the correct arm angles and length on them there should be no need to tamper with the base surface.

and when you adjust it higher the bracket obscures the top of the field of view???

Not any more than adjusting the SG9665GC higher or lower would be. Obviously, it would be designed with a specific focal length lens in mind with a stop at its upper limit of adjustment.

As is it, even with this simple graphic there is plenty of room for adjusting the lens up and down.

side3.jpg

I wipped this up, marked in red the 2 arms holding the Cylinder and their approx angle, and in yellow what i propose to change them so so mount will be clear of the lens / footage.
side_2.jpg

As is it, even with this simple graphic there is plenty of room for adjusting the lens up and down.

View attachment 32276

indeed there is, on a window with that angle, how about on the rear window of your truck, front window of a bus etc? once you need to tilt it up further the middle of the bracket is going to be picked up by the lens, supporting the camera from either end is good to stop the issue where they sag in the mount, joining both sides together is the challenge unless the bracket was U shaped, smaller versions of this idea exist already and they use a very thin bracket and with a large cutout in the middle so that when the lens needs to be rotated up further for steeper window angles the bracket doesn't end up in the picture, adding electronics inside this bracket limits just how thin you could make that though so would be harder to do in this type of product

wait a god damn moment, while i reset my grey goo by pounding my head into my computer table ( 3 AM here )

I completely just ditched the entire concept we been talking about and formed something new up that's more problematic :oops:

Back on track i thill think there might be a little issue with the near or vertical windows as jokiin also seem to have locked on to, but one that is easy to fix.

The 2 arms / prongs that hold the camera cylinder between them just need to be angled more forward, this should make sure that on vertical windows the camera cylinder will hang lower below the mount, and on regular sloped windows it will just bring the camera cylinder closer to the windscreen.
Should not be a issue i think.

I still think the idea are valid,,,, maybe i should try out the new windows 10 3D designer for dummies part.

Yes, I mentioned the idea of projecting the "arms" more forward yesterday.

This isn't the best example, but many telescopes use longer or curved "arms" on alt-azimuth mounts. On a camera design like this they would just need to be refined for the purpose. The wedge mount would need to be refined as well, perhaps curved or semi-circular instead of rectangular.

altazimuth mounts.jpg

indeed there is, on a window with that angle, how about on the rear window of your truck, front window of a bus etc? once you need to tilt it up further the middle of the bracket is going to be picked up by the lens, supporting the camera from either end is good to stop the issue where they sag in the mount, joining both sides together is the challenge unless the bracket was U shaped, smaller versions of this idea exist already and they use a very thin bracket and with a large cutout in the middle so that when the lens needs to be rotated up further for steeper window angles the bracket doesn't end up in the picture, adding electronics inside this bracket limits just how thin you could make that though so would be harder to do in this type of product

It could simply be shipped with more than one style mounting plate which would accommodate vertical glass.

side4.jpg

Last edited:
you could also have a cut out in the base, but for neatness i would prefer it to be a nice rectangular surface. and with the correct arm angles and length on them there should be no need to tamper with the base surface.

Many altazimuth telescopes and other devices are often on round bases. I like the idea of a rectangular base with a semi-circular front which could match the camera bracket shape.

I just changed the angle of the mockup windscren a little, and then i did a quich messup in a 3D program i have never youched before.
It do look as if there will be some problems as is with "side3" picture.

side3_Dchange_big_thumb.jpg

The sides (arms) could be arched or leaned rearward or forward at the top which would allow more upward tilt of the lens without interfering with the FOV. Simple enough. And the front of the 'mount' could have an arch-shaped opening to assist with that too. You could add pivit points at the top of the arms for fore-and-aft movement. But at some point, you're getting far enough away from the 0xxx to be more in the realm of making a new cam instead of a revision to this one ;)

Look more deeply. The cam body does nothing except hold the pieces together and look pretty :p If you're going to stay with the 0xxx body and add nothing else, then all you need to overcome is the cantilever effect, and perhaps the lack of azimuth adjustment. For a single-point mounting, something in the center of the body (or close to there) would be more nearly ideal for that. Adding a brace on the far end would eliminate cantilever-shake if used along with the existing mount. Or you could ditch the body saving all the rest, then create a new body which would have a better mounting system :)

And if you were as mad as my mind gets sometimes, you could go 'steampunk' and have no cam body at all, just some nice spiky heat-sinks and an open frame holding it all together :cool: That would look pretty cool and let the cam cool well too :ROFLMAO:

Phil

I just changed the angle of the mockup windscren a little, and then i did a quich messup in a 3D program i have never youched before.

I think you are making too many assumptions and predictions about a primitive design concept mock-up that would obviously need actual engineering.

But we are shooting sparrows with M777 howitzers here, i have faith in this could work just fine, and i dident even contemplate DMs adaptor for vertial windows that's just so K.I.S.S i tend to bypass it

Ha i might give this a spin in this windows 3D printer mockup paint thingymajig program, but not now at 3:30 in the morning.

well as usual i will probably not be able to fall asleep before noon, and then sleep 3 - 4 hours before some noise wake me up.
Thats pretty much how it have worked for me this year so far.
Man if only i lived in a place where what i pay the doctor would actually get me something, cuz here it never worked for me to a degree its like me and doctors do not speak the same language.

Not that i am a fan of pills, but really this is getting pretty annoying.

well as usual i will probably not be able to fall asleep before noon, and then sleep 3 - 4 hours before some noise wake me up.
Thats pretty much how it have worked for me this year so far.
Man if only i lived in a place where what i pay the doctor would actually get me something, cuz here it never worked for me to a degree its like me and doctors do not speak the same language.

Not that i am a fan of pills, but really this is getting pretty annoying.

For me keeping fit and staying active cures my aches and pains (bad back, etc.) and helps me fall asleep when my head hits the pillow. Exercise is the best drug! :)

The sides (arms) could be arched or leaned rearward or forward at the top which would allow more upward tilt of the lens without interfering with the FOV. Simple enough.

That's partly why I posted the photo of the telescope above with its curved altazimuth support arms.

Well i no longer do much of that i have to admit, only exercise i get is when we drive the little RC trucks, and that's not often at the moment as i have nothing i want to drive, and the one o ordered and should be shipped Friday have just ( again ) been pushed back a month to August 21

I can drive any of my friends many cars no problem, but that's not near as enjoyable as driving your own vehicle.

Some times i stay awake for +30 hours, then i have no problem falling asleep, and getting up at a normal time in the morning, but then the following night though tired and all i an just denied by the sand man.

How often have you aimed a dash cam straight ahead? I'd venture a guess that about 99.9% get aimed downwards.

Well i no longer do much of that i have to admit, only exercise i get is when we drive the little RC trucks, and that's not often at the moment as i have nothing i want to drive, and the one o ordered and should be shipped Friday have just ( again ) been pushed back a month to August 21

I can drive any of my friends many cars no problem, but that's not near as enjoyable as driving your own vehicle.

Some times i stay awake for +30 hours, then i have no problem falling asleep, and getting up at a normal time in the morning, but then the following night though tired and all i an just denied by the sand man.

I'll say it again. Exercise is the best drug. Try at least doing some walking every day. I'll bet it would help you. :nurse::)

yeah a little, though with the newer cameras a vertical aim seem pretty okay too, that blue overlay was just meant to indicate there could be a issue, but nothing a good designer would see at once.

Back