Miofive announces first? dash camera with (true) 4K front and 4K rear

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
Interesting! I sent them an email asking about sensor selections for the dashcam. The Amazon listing does specify they’re using an 8MP sensor which is good to see.
I was looking for one to test. At least this one should work

Interesting! I sent them an email asking about sensor selections for the dashcam. The Amazon listing does specify they’re using an 8MP sensor which is good to see.
Guessing its not Sony because every OEM seems eager to announce they're using Sony if they are. Perhaps Omnivision..

Guessing its not Sony because every OEM seems eager to announce they're using Sony if they are. Perhaps Omnivision..
It's a Novatek processor, so maybe a Sony IMX415, although that would be a bit disappointing for image quality and the rest of the specs look quite good, looks worth an investigation...

That was my guess as well. Digging a little more, they do have some models with the IMX415 which is a 4K Sony Starvis sensor so it's possible...

I've reached out to my contact at MIOFIVE asking for more info on the S1 Ultra dash camera. I truly hope the S1 Ultra behaves decently unlike the Dash Cam Dual unit I was reviewing last year. I had to abandon due to multiple issues (dropped/duplicated frames, 10 seconds front / 16 seconds rear to start recording after an impact event in low power parking guard mode due to prolonged time to mount eMMC file system.)

I'd probably stick the front in the back and the back in the front!

That was my guess as well. Digging a little more, they do have some models with the IMX415 which is a 4K Sony Starvis sensor so it's possible...
A generation behind, eek

So Miofive is unwilling to share which sensors they’re using. They said it’s not the IMX415 used in some other models, but it is an 8MP sensor that’s been custom designed for them for both the front and rear cams. They said that they have a confidentiality agreement that prevents them from sharing further details which is always a bit of a red flag to me, but yeah.

So Miofive is unwilling to share which sensors they’re using. They said it’s not the IMX415 used in some other models, but it is an 8MP sensor that’s been custom designed for them for both the front and rear cams. They said that they have a confidentiality agreement that prevents them from sharing further details which is always a bit of a red flag to me, but yeah.
It could be a Sony sensor. I know Thinkware was using H.265(Or something to do with compression) for some of their units a few years ago but they did not mention it because they were not paying to tell people they were using it.

I received a similar response stating they're using 8MP sensors that were custom designed for them and they have a confidentiality agreement in place which is why they can't share the specifics on the image sensors. They may be sending me a S1 Ultra for testing.

I think, given the price, it is more likely from one of the Chinese sensor companies like GalaxyCore.
But then it probably wont have Sony's DOL HDR, so no night time plate reading.

Someone is going to have to test it and find out what it can do...

Back