Mirror dash cam

manmanman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have a question for fellow users of mirror dash cams regarding screen display preferences while driving.

Do you prefer to keep the screen on or turn it off when using your mirror dash cam while driving? I'm curious to know which option users find more convenient and practical. Please share your thoughts and preferences in the comments below. Thanks!

FWIW I have one built into my car and I really don't like using it. With a normal RVM I can glance up at the mirror and see right behind me without adjusting my eyes since my eyes are focused to infinity in both cases. When I change it to using the camera, I have to refocus my eyes to look at the screen and then again when I look forward at the road ahead. It's annoying to do this every time I want to look behind me. I also find the field of view to be significantly wider which is a bit odd compared to what I'm used to, plus at night it's harder to see clearly behind me, especially with headlights glaring into the camera. I also find that I see double images with both the camera displaying an image and the native mirror still reflecting what's going on behind me so that's a little distracting.

The only times I do use it is if someone or something is physically blocking my view back behind so it's nice when needed, but it's definitely not my default option.

What is RVM?

I'm currently testing the 70mai S500 rear view dash camera. My 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, does not have a backup camera. It's nice to have the backup camera feature with the S500. I don't tend to leave the screen on (day or night) because it is a bit bright (especially at night - even with the user adjustable screen brightness). Exiting the backup camera feature leaves the screen on after changing gears to park or drive. I end up using the voice command "Turn Off Screen" to turn off the S500 display. I've been asking 70mai to enhance the logic of the backup camera mode to restore the screen state to what it was before it entered into backup camera mode (if it was off, turn it off). I'm working on the review video for the S500. I hope to have it completed within the next week.

How does it sense when you are in reverse gear?

How does it sense when you are in reverse gear?
The rear camera has a 2-wire cable that connects to the 12V positive power sent to one of the vehicle's reverse light bulbs and to a ground. When the vehicle turns on the power to the reverse light bulb, this is the activation signal to the S500 to enter backup camera mode.

s500_unboxing_pics_dct12.png

In my vehicle, I used two posi-tap wire connectors to connect the rear camera wires to the power/ground wires going to my left reverse light bulb.

1713908759186.png

FWIW I have one built into my car and I really don't like using it. With a normal RVM I can glance up at the mirror and see right behind me without adjusting my eyes since my eyes are focused to infinity in both cases. When I change it to using the camera, I have to refocus my eyes to look at the screen and then again when I look forward at the road ahead. It's annoying to do this every time I want to look behind me. I also find the field of view to be significantly wider which is a bit odd compared to what I'm used to, plus at night it's harder to see clearly behind me, especially with headlights glaring into the camera. I also find that I see double images with both the camera displaying an image and the native mirror still reflecting what's going on behind me so that's a little distracting.

The only times I do use it is if someone or something is physically blocking my view back behind so it's nice when needed, but it's definitely not my default option.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I completely understand your concerns, especially regarding the inconvenience of refocusing your eyes and the challenges with visibility, especially at night.

I'm currently testing the 70mai S500 rear view dash camera. My 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, does not have a backup camera. It's nice to have the backup camera feature with the S500. I don't tend to leave the screen on (day or night) because it is a bit bright (especially at night - even with the user adjustable screen brightness). Exiting the backup camera feature leaves the screen on after changing gears to park or drive. I end up using the voice command "Turn Off Screen" to turn off the S500 display. I've been asking 70mai to enhance the logic of the backup camera mode to restore the screen state to what it was before it entered into backup camera mode (if it was off, turn it off). I'm working on the review video for the S500. I hope to have it completed within the next week.Where can I check out your review video? I'm kinda interested in it.

Hello rcg530, where can I check out your review video? I'm kinda interested in it.

Hello @manmanman
Are you a representative from a manufacturer, or retailer?
If so @DashCamMan will upgrade your status pursuant to forum rule #6;

Last edited:
Hello rcg530, where can I check out your review video? I'm kinda interested in it.
I'm still working on the video. Today, I just gathered some daytime/nighttime video footage from the S500 and a VIOFO A229 Plus since they both have a Sony STARVIS 2 IMX675 image sensor in the front camera.

Here's a link to my S500 testing/review thread on this site:

Hello everyone, I have a question for fellow users of mirror dash cams regarding screen display preferences while driving.

Do you prefer to keep the screen on or turn it off when using your mirror dash cam while driving? I'm curious to know which option users find more convenient and practical. Please share your thoughts and preferences in the comments below. Thanks!
I've been using the S500 camera too and have my full thoughts here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...sony-starvis-2-in-a-mirror-form-factor.50990/

To be honest, as @Vortex Radar said, it kinda doesn't make sense in newer vehicles such as his and mine. But might make more of a use case for things like the backup camera for users with older vehicles such as @rcg530 . When I texted the S500, I kept the screen on the whole time partly to stress test it to see how it would fare.

Have reported similar in that it doesn't deal with glare as well as a normal rear view mirror at night, but daytime is near usable once you get used to it after a few hours of driving.

It serves well in niche cases but as a full blown replacement solution as a dashcam, I'm hesitant to say rear view mirror dashcams can serve that purpose. I honestly prefer to stick to normal dashcams.

You know, every time I see a review from one of these RVM dashcams, I'm always left pretty disappointed. There's a lot of fake 4K models too. I was hopeful the new 70mai variant would be better given it uses the IMX675, but alas.

It looks like NexiGo just released their new Gen 3 version of the D90 which uses a 4K Starvis 2 IMX678 up front. I have no idea yet if it's any good, but they're gonna ship me one to test and review so in time I'll add it to our growing collection of RVM dashcam reviews. :)

You know, every time I see a review from one of these RVM dashcams, I'm always left pretty disappointed. There's a lot of fake 4K models too. I was hopeful the new 70mai variant would be better given it uses the IMX675, but alas.

It looks like NexiGo just released their new Gen 3 version of the D90 which uses a 4K Starvis 2 IMX678 up front. I have no idea yet if it's any good, but they're gonna ship me one to test and review so in time I'll add it to our growing collection of RVM dashcam reviews. :)
All good and well having 4k Starvis 2 but if it's a potato quality backup/rear camera again.....

You know, every time I see a review from one of these RVM dashcams, I'm always left pretty disappointed.

The concept of RVM dash cams has always seemed appealing, so one wonders why they have always been so crappy. It's like they are the bastard child of the dash cam industry or something.

We need someone with the design and engineering prowess of @viofo to step up and address this product category in the marketplace. I believe a well designed and well built RVM cam could be a popular option for some and a good seller.

Last edited:
The concept of RVM dash cams has always seemed appealing, so one wonders why they have always been so crappy. It's like they are the bastard child of the dash cam industry or something.

We need someone with the design and engineering prowess of @viofo to step up and address this product category in the marketplace. I believe a well designed and well built RVM cam could be a popular option for some and a good seller.
Seems like they would be the ones that would make a decent product. Not sure how big the market is though. I know the rear camera has to be waterproof but at least throw a Starvis 2 in there..

Back