Mobius 2 Action/Dash Cam support thread

have you tried it at night yet?

No. But the new (as yet unreleased "step 2" firmware has a uniquely intriguing dedicated low light setting I have yet to explore. For the moment I am back to testing out a new "step 1" firmware version I was sent just yesterday which is trying to improve a WDR and coding issue and the low light feature is not available in "step 1".

BTW, the above SG9665GC examples are from beta 22. Beta 26 still has a ways to go but is looking MUCH better than we've seen previously.

Still, M2 Mobius has everyone beat on the WDR front, to date. This has to do with the particular technique employed which is basically true dual exposure HDR.

I think you should, daytime it's doing quite well, night is another matter altogether

All good things in time. I think it will be awhile before the M2 is really ready for prime time. It holds great promise, however and new betas are coming every few days.

All good things in time. I think it will be awhile before the M2 is really ready for prime time. It holds great promise, however and new betas are coming every few days.

the WDR does some good things in strong daylight, night is going to be a challenge I think, they may have to pull back some of that daytime performance to get something that's workable in low light

the WDR does some good things in strong daylight, night is going to be a challenge I think, they may have to pull back some of that daytime performance to get something that's workable in low light

It's hard to say at the moment. The sensor and DSP are new and somewhat unique to dash cams and these guys have a certain flare with what they do. Again, time will tell. It is a big part of why I enjoy the platform so much. If I were new to dash cams and shopping for a camera I would look elsewhere for now but if you are intrepid I would jump right in and expect good things to come sooner than later. For most, the Mobius is an enthusiast's platform regardless of how you intend to use the camera.

there are others around using the same hardware, all the others I've seen are using the vendor supplied SDK though which doesn't have anywhere near the amount of flexibility they may be able to achieve, will the gamble they took by not using the SDK lead to a better all round result, that's something we'll have to wait and see I guess

there are others around using the same hardware, all the others I've seen are using the vendor supplied SDK though which doesn't have anywhere near the amount of flexibility they may be able to achieve, will the gamble they took by not using the SDK lead to a better all round result, that's something we'll have to wait and see I guess

Yeah, I agree, although there has been some talk here on DCT that there hasn't been all that much of this Linux based SDK to work with from the get-go. In any event, it has certainly taken quite a lot of time to even get to where they are now and this is longer than anyone was expecting or hoping for but everything seems to be coming along rather quickly now so let's see what happens. It reminds me of where we were at this point in the M1 development and look at the refinement we ended up witnessing with that.

Given the M2's principal user base in RC, which I figure is largely daytime activity, maybe they will not be so interested in developing low light performance than if they were developing a standalone dashcam? I can see the M2 becoming very good for daytime use but may always lag behind bespoke dashcam products for night time use, similar to the original mobius.

Given the M2's principal user base in RC, which I figure is largely daytime activity, maybe they will not be so interested in developing low light performance than if they were developing a standalone dashcam? I can see the M2 becoming very good for daytime use but may always lag behind bespoke dashcam products for night time use, similar to the original mobius.

yeah I'm not sure, the type of WDR they are doing has some good ability to reveal detail in very bright conditions but that can come at the expense of clarity, right now it makes a huge mess of low light footage but that could well change as they develop the firmware further, the hardware is more capable than the M1 so the potential is there, it's up to them to realise the potential I guess, it's an interesting product but wouldn't be the right fit for a lot of people right now I would think

No. But the new (as yet unreleased "step 2" firmware has a uniquely intriguing dedicated low light setting I have yet to explore. For the moment I am back to testing out a new "step 1" firmware version I was sent just yesterday which is trying to improve a WDR and coding issue and the low light feature is not available in "step 1".
Dedicated low light settings would be good, but only if the camera can automatically switch between day/low light parameters by itself. Ideally this would be based on the actual light level rather than timed mode changes. Otherwise the set-and-forget settings for dashcam operation will need to be a compromise between day and night use.

Perhaps like some other people here I will run both a GC and an M2 at the same time.

Suspecting other lenses might mean another housing too.

I did try nighttime and 1080/30 & WDR on release firmware, but it was much noisy then, when that is fixed i think the camera will do quite good in low light judging by what it can do in low light now with 1080/60.
Would be nice for ppl using it as dashcam if we could have a timed switch over to the other mode like on the joovuu X camera, that way you could record 1080/60 in the daytime and then change over to the other mode with 1080/30 settings when it get dark.

Last thing i called in to peter was a gap in between segments i saw when i used the camera on a DIY selfiestick.

Suspecting other lenses might mean another housing too.

I did try nighttime and 1080/30 & WDR on release firmware, but it was much noisy then, when that is fixed i think the camera will do quite good in low light judging by what it can do in low light now with 1080/60.
Would be nice for ppl using it as dashcam if we could have a timed switch over to the other mode like on the joovuu X camera, that way you could record 1080/60 in the daytime and then change over to the other mode with 1080/30 settings when it get dark.

Last thing i called in to peter was a gap in between segments i saw when i used the camera on a DIY selfiestick.

They are looking into night performance for sure as I understood from peter, and I'm a bit unsure what they will do, timed mode (JooVuu style), metering auto switching mode or manual press button (and keep setting after reboot) ...... but they are also looking into other lenses better fit for night recording without compromising too much daytime performance.

Fingers crossed.

So what setting do you like best for daytime? Both 1080p60 and 1080p30WDR seem to perform well from the samples I've seen.

So what setting do you like best for daytime? Both 1080p60 and 1080p30WDR seem to perform well from the samples I've seen.

for daytime they're doing quite well either way, the WDR is currently not something you would want to use at night

Back