Mobius 2 Action/Dash Cam support thread

Yeah so far there is only the official launch firmware, but testers have seen 3-4 beta firmwares allready :cool:

it should have had that same version on it already when you got it

It probably did but I fitted the new SD card in the Mobius then formatted it, then transferred the firmware to the SD to update the settings. It was only when I tried to access the card did I realise that I couldn't even read the card so had no idea whether it was on or off, so thought it best just to copy the latest firmware from the rcgroup link provided. It may well have still been on the camera but I wasn't sure and considering how easy it is to transfer from SD card to the camera I just went ahead with the new firmware.

Will hopefully test it out tomorrow in the car on it's own until I make a 2nd windscreen bracket so that I can have both Mobius Mk1 and Mk2 cameras side by side to compare them.

I hope so, because as it is now the IQ is rubbish.
I think it was released to early.

I basically agree but like the Mobius 1 it will take awhile for the firmware to reach maturity. I think the camera has the potential to be quite amazing and as it stands now, already has the best WDR capabilities of any camera I have ever used. The Mobius guys are a pretty talented and dedicated group of engineers who will keep polishing the firmware until it shines just like they did with the first Mobius.

I understand that there are some new lens options in the works and the next major iteration of the firmware will have all the advanced exposure controls currently available for the M1. (and more!)

Yeah i would like to see some one load a early firmware to his mobius and then tell me what he think of that camera now :eek:

I cant tell for sure but for the old mobius there have been a lot of updates thru the first couple of years, but i have not been on board with them all the way so i cant tell for sure if all those updates have been about the important IQ or if that was resolved at a earlier state.

Anyway i kinda agree with the person that said that nothing is really ready when it start selling, but off course some product groups tend to be more mature when released, but then its also often huge corporations behind it.

Hell even my last 2 cars that i got from brand new have both been recalled to the dealer one or more times to fix little flaws on them.
And while i have gone thru a lot of computer motherboards that worked pretty well from day one, i have also updated the bios ( FW ) on them, and off course also updated drivers for hardware on those motherboards, and new drivers is also mostly bug fixing when it come down to it.

And if we look at the dashcam segment alone, then even the biggest brands update their products after release ( and so they should )
I know my Lukas LK-7500 got upwards of 10 new firmware's in the time frame it was in my car.

I also think some ppl might expect too much from a dashcam, we have seen that so often in here, mostly regarding night / low light performance but others also been let down by cameras failing pretty fast due to it being a cheap model.

UPDATE: Have checked out the first batch of video I recorded using the Mobius 2 on Friday in the day and make comment that the video quality is OK - good enough should I be involved in an accident. Number-plates of parked and oncoming vehicles can be read which I think is very important. Haven't had chance to check any night-time footage though may have a go tomorrow when hopefully I will fit the new bracket for the Mobius 1 so will be able to do direct comparisons between them.

I didn't get chance to review any further video footage over the weekend till today only to discover that it hadn't recorded any further footage which was disappointing, and nothing to do with the Mobius 2 because when I was altering the settings although I set 'Auto Record with external power to [1] ON', I forgot to select 'Movie Loop Recording' to [1] ON, so essentially the SD card filled up then it stopped recording instead of looping round - easy mistake to make when you are in a hurry - oops!

After struggling to play the video in H265 I've now reverted back to recording in H264 which is perfect for my needs and my 2011 MacBook Pro plays the footage without interruptions using the VLC media player app.

A 3 minute video recording set at 1920 x 1080 in H264 is approx 660MB in size which is far larger than the Mobius 1. Bitrate on the videos I've checked is just under 30,000.

Have enclosed a screenshot of the Mobius 2 settings for use as a dashcam so that it powers up automatically and starts recording video once power is received either from the car or from an external battery pack.

Using this Mobius 2 camera is all new to me, though I have been using a Mobius 1 for quite some time, so I'm hoping that I've not made too many mistakes with the settings for video 1.

If I've made any glaring mistakes in the settings please feel free to tell me :)

BTW, am based in the UK and purchased the Mobius 2 direct from the manufacturer's website on Ebay.

Attachments

• mobius-2-config-settings-9-2016.jpg
    mobius-2-config-settings-9-2016.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 15
I'll be very interested to see your M2 vs M1 comparison for UK number plates.

Regarding your settings, have you tried 1080p60 instead of 1080p30? Are you using it with battery or capacitor?

Please help. I received my mobius 2 today and while trying to alter settings something appears to have gone wrong. Now i cannot access via pc or physical buttons and red led just stays on. Cannot turn camera off unless reset button is pushed

Remove the microSD from the camera and then press the reset button. Wait 10 seconds and then turn the camera on. Put the card back in and see if the camera is working again. If it is working again, reformat the card and you should be good to go.

Remove the microSD from the camera and then press the reset button. Wait 10 seconds and then turn the camera on. Put the card back in and see if the camera is working again. If it is working again, reformat the card and you should be good to go.
No change. Does Mobius have an after sales support line or anything?

Try removing the battery, wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in and then try the above procedure one more time.

Devastated. None of that worked. I was so keen to get this on my quad too. Thanks for your help and time.

You are welcome. Sorry it didn't work.

I had the identical issue with my M2 and after trying various rule of thumb fix-its, removing the card before reseting and rebooting the camera did the trick. I thought my camera was bricked but it's been fine now for weeks. I would try another memory card and keep trying to get it to restart before completely throwing in the towel.

Devastated. None of that worked. I was so keen to get this on my quad too. Thanks for your help and time.
Use a card reader and format your card. Now copy the firmware bin file to the empty card.
Make sure the camera is turned off and put the card into the camera.
Now connect the camera to your PC.
The LED should blink while the firmware is updated. This may take up to 3 minutes, so be patient.
Wait until all LEDs are off for at least 5 seconds.
Your camera should now be reset.

I think the camera has the potential to be quite amazing and as it stands now, already has the best WDR capabilities of any camera I have ever used.
Taking into consideration your issues with the GC on dynamic range and big shifts in ambient brightness, how do you feel the M2 performs in similar tricky lighting? I drive on a lot of tree-lined country roads so I'm keen to avoid some of the issues you have experienced. I'm aware the latest beta FW for the GC has made considerable improvements on this subject.

Taking into consideration your issues with the GC on dynamic range and big shifts in ambient brightness, how do you feel the M2 performs in similar tricky lighting? I drive on a lot of tree-lined country roads so I'm keen to avoid some of the issues you have experienced. I'm aware the latest beta FW for the GC has made considerable improvements on this subject.

The Mobius 2 still needs a lot of firmware development and the SG9665GC has finally begun to take action to address the problems I've been talking about for over a year and a half.

But........

The Mobius 2 has the "hands down" BEST WDR performance I have EVER seen in ANY dash cam I have EVER used, PERIOD! (especially in comparison with the SG9665GC)

Mobius 2
MobiusvsSG.jpg

SG9665GC
SGblow-out.jpg

Mobius 2
Mobius.jpg

SG9665GC
SGblowout2.jpg

Last edited:
I have not gotten around to try the 1080/30 & WDR, perhaps cuz i am more interested in the M2 as a action camera.

Sure i use it mostly in my car, but i do drive a lot more with the car than i play with the RC toys.

Back