Mobius ActionCam Dash Camera suction cup wont stay put

wll

Reaction score
Country
United States
i bought the "Mobius ActionCam Dash Camera Kit For Car". the suction cup worked great on inside windshield. but now that the summer heat here is cranking up, and the suction cup doesn't stay, it keeps falling.

this is in a chevy 2003 silverado. if anyone knows of a suction cup that fall when the outside heat rises or a suitable( to this vehicle) alternative way to mount it, do let me know. tia

I have had this trouble with mirrors in my car as i have 2 suction cup type and my dashcam what has worked for me is wiping the area first with Isopropyl alcohol i havent had one fall off since ( thats the end of that ;-). Although we dont have the heat here as where you are worth a try though.

Clean the suction cup, and windshield well, ithen place the mount on the windshield with the suction cup slightly damp.

I've been using mounts like this for years, and sometimes the rubber ages, or just kind of sucks.
(maybe you got one that was sitting in the warehouse for a while?)
They're cheap enough on ebay or amazon you can find a variety that works for the mobius, since it's a 1/4x20 mount, (standard tripod mount) for around $5. You can also try one of the two sided tape ones if you have somewhat permanent location you want to use.

The tape mount may not work on his Silverado. Windshield slop is not enough.
Have you look at the Mobius mounting thread ?

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra, more or less same truck, but I just use a suction cup mount. If the silverado is the same, there may be an overhead plastic console a tape mount may work on the bottom of.

Its usually contamination on the screen, even some window cleaning products leave a residue. Give screen and cup a wipe with methylated spirit on a lint free cloth, it never fails..

Reactions: wll
I have had this trouble with mirrors in my car as i have 2 suction cup type and my dashcam what has worked for me is wiping the area first with Isopropyl alcohol i havent had one fall off since ( thats the end of that ;-). Although we dont have the heat here as where you are worth a try though.

good idea. will try that today, thanks!

The tape mount may not work on his Silverado. Windshield slop is not enough.
Have you look at the Mobius mounting thread ?

no but i will. appreciate the lead. didn't realize it existed or i forgot. ;-)

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra, more or less same truck, but I just use a suction cup mount. If the silverado is the same, there may be an overhead plastic console a tape mount may work on the bottom of.

there is an overhead console like for the reading lights and small compartment for like garage opener. but the space between the bottom of it and the rearview mirror, i couldn't see how to put something there and still have the cam FOV be good. i'll revisit that, i could have assumed to neg on that.

worth revisiting as this cam works really well for me

Clean the suction cup, and windshield well, ithen place the mount on the windshield with the suction cup slightly damp.

I've been using mounts like this for years, and sometimes the rubber ages, or just kind of sucks.
(maybe you got one that was sitting in the warehouse for a while?)
They're cheap enough on ebay or amazon you can find a variety that works for the mobius, since it's a 1/4x20 mount, (standard tripod mount) for around $5. You can also try one of the two sided tape ones if you have somewhat permanent location you want to use.

for all those that suggested cleaning the windshield again with like rubbing alcohol + lint free cloth, much thanks, will give that a try.

i'll check out the "mobius mount thread", as suggested by another poster, if the cleaning doesn't do it for me. you're right, they are cheap.

there is an overhead console like for the reading lights and small compartment for like garage opener. but the space between the bottom of it and the rearview mirror, i couldn't see how to put something there and still have the cam FOV be good. i'll revisit that, i could have assumed to neg on that.

worth revisiting as this cam works really well for me

I'm not home now, so can't look at the console, or remember exactly what it looks like. I vaguely remember putting one of the stick on mounts to the left of my rear view mirror the last time I was home. I only drive that pickup 4-5 days a month, was using a suction cup mount. I just loop the power wire around the mirror. I'm not that worried about a clean installation on that pickup. :) There's probably a way to get power from one of the reading lights, but I haven't bothered.

Try using a adhesive mount.

Back