Mobius ActionCam Wishlist 2015

Just read the post of the potential future specs of the Mobius 2...1080p/60fps is all I really want anything else is a bonus, also good to hear the form factor of the M2 is going to be smilar to the M1.

I don't know about anyone else but all I need is a small camera with excellent video quality that is reliable, the current M1 meets this perfectly, so when the new M2 is released hopefully we are in for a real treat.
+1

As a CRT user i would not mind 1920x1440 :D

But i fear CRT users is a dying breed in these LCD days, i promised myself i would stick with this beast untill i could replace it with a OLED monitor.

I may have mis-read the original post re the cable.

I was of the impression that the OP wanted the "length" to get to
the cigarette lighter power output. That being the case, they would need
one of these....(sorry but I can't seem to get the link to post like a "link")

http://www.massiverc.com/Shop/en/148-mini-usb-car-charger-adapter.html

Obviously yours is a "hard wire" application.

I am still planning on moving the cam from one vehicle to the other until it
proves inpractical. I will hard wire the primary & use the cable & adapter in the second vehicle.

Edit: Oh, thank goodness - it shows as a "link" when I hit post reply :)

I may have mis-read the original post re the cable.

I was of the impression that the OP wanted the "length" to get to
the cigarette lighter power output. That being the case, they would need
one of these....(sorry but I can't seem to get the link to post like a "link")

http://www.massiverc.com/Shop/en/148-mini-usb-car-charger-adapter.html

Obviously yours is a "hard wire" application.

I am still planning on moving the cam from one vehicle to the other until it
proves inpractical. I will hard wire the primary & use the cable & adapter in the second vehicle.

Edit: Oh, thank goodness - it shows as a "link" when I hit post reply :)

My mistake. Didn't realize you was answering another post. Thought you wanted a hard wire.

Casing with flushed lens regardless of what type.
i.e. C2 lens but with an appearance that what you would see to a mobius with an A lens.

Has the spec been announced yet?

Last edited:
My wishlist in a nutshell ;)

1. Add a possibility for a little button cell battery for retaining time and date. I use a supercap, but when not using my car for longer than two days the Mobius forgets the time and date and sets it back to 12:00 and 2012 which is very annoying..

2. WiFi would be a big plus to transfer files to a phone or laptop and to align the camera with live image.

3. A aluminium case would be nice and acts like a big heat sink which is a big plus to avoid heating-up the electronics inside too much. I use a small heat sink from a old PC motherboard soutbridge chipset which I have stuck with double sided adhesive tape on the small heat sink of the Mobius. It works very well and the Mobius feels barely warm in normal weather conditions and slightly warm to the touch in the summer. The heat sink feels warm what indicates that the heat is well dissipated from inside the Mobius to the heat sink.

4. Making the new Mobius slightly thicker for adding WiFi is not a problem, but keep the nice form factor, it's great!

5. Better low-light performance (night) would be nice as well.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned a cpl filter for minimizing windshield reflections.

I am well aware you can mod one. But I think a lot of people (myself included) consider this one of the top features when deciding on which dashcam to buy.

mobius needs an audible indicator that it started/stopped recording to indicate if something is wrong or battery is not charging. usually dashcams are put out of sight and you wont know its not working till you need it

I too have a wishlist, it is in the other post here in the forum.

Mostly small tweaks to the current version, mostly hardware updates and simple smart practical solutions.
Nothing that major to change the design or anything like that.

I too am wondering when we will see a mobius2, I think it is about time we get a new version, at least the
new chips are out with lots of improvment, smaller size, less heat issues, and a lot of other nice features.
Would do wonders to the mobius, or any dashcam for that matter.

As luck would have it, the best thing we all want is in most new chips anyway, digital image stabilization,
and even the cheap chips does do 2k 30fps or 1080p 60fps that is a huge step up from the current mobius hardware.

I think testers allready have preproduction samples to play with, at least thats how i undestand it.

kamkar1, they do ?

How nice, I do hope they can get the right things into the new mobius2, that would be so great. I would rather
wait and have a long period of testing, evaluating how the new camera is working and that they can listen to what
costumers want. Would be so great if we could get the perfect upgrade for this camera, or at least as close as we
can get.

The old mobius was or is great, for what it was, but it is time to bring the mobius2 to the market. Feels like the time
is right for it :D

Hard to know what they have done, if they upped the pixel count on the sensor then night performance will proberly not be much better then the sensor in the current mobius.
And the competition in the small action camera have become larger in the past 2 years, so hard to guess if the mobius 2 will set itself apart from the other ones.
I dont think they will have a longer that usioal testing period, i also dont think they had that with the first camera, cuz it sure gotten a lot of FW updates over time, so there must have been plenty of things to polish up after release.

As a action camera i would love for the mobius 2 to have a larger pixel count, and as a dashcam i would love better low light performance.

I cant see it beeing 4K but for sure no matter what 1080/60 is a must have, 1080/120 would just blow my mind as that would be super cool to have in a action camera format.

The other day because of one of the Mobi in my vehicle that I can't easily see from the driver's seat I found myself wishing the Mobius had the option for sounding a soft beep to confirm that it is powered up and has begun recording. Of course, this feature would be on/off switchable in the firmware UI.

The Mobius has no speaker and there is currently no room in the case to allow for such a feature (which I understand was at one time considered) but it would be great if the Mobius 2 had room for a tiny piezo transducer.

Last edited:
I cannot recall whether this post by Tom Frank has been linked here before, however, it should dispel some fanciful notions...

"The single most useful thing lacking on the current Mobius compared to the current new action cameras is 1080p-60 fps video (or 720P-120 fps), and that will change very soon with the M2. Beyond that, IMHO, is WiFi (who needs it... I certainly don't!), image stabilization (I can do that in post editing if I need it, and it can degrade the recorded video if done on the camera), and lens fisheye correction (ditto... post editing can take care of that better than most in camera solutions). 2k or 4K video... who needs it? I'll wager most users can't display more than 1080p video in native format on their monitors without degrading the image with the down-scaling to fit their screens. Ditto for the imagers that have 8, 10 12, 14k CMOS. Unless you are interested in still images and printing them in the larger frame sizes, most can't view those larger videos on their monitors without down-scaling (losing the detail of the higher resolutions), or scrolling the image around on the screen (how much fun is that?). If you want better action video, then perhaps the M2 will suit your needs. If you want those other things, the M2 is not going to be your Nirvana. But that is just my view. YMMV"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34122639&postcount=18330

There is some marketing in there - if you take higher resolution video and play it back downscaled from a higher than 1080p source a lot of the time it will look better than native 1080p recorded video.

The extra bitrate of a higher resolution video helps too.

.. it sure gotten a lot of FW updates over time, so there must have been plenty of things to polish up after release.

I bought my first Mobius 3 months after it was launched, by which time the firmware was well developed, & the only change I wanted was capacitor-compatibility. That came with v0.51, at which point the developer could have called it a day from my point of view.

All of the subsequent releases providing improvements in user-features & configurability are great, but the earliest Mobius firmware was still more mature / developed than that of the final release for the average Chinese dashcam.

I can envision 2k or 4k video being useful for dash cams even if you don't have a monitor that will display that resolution because it would allow you to zoom in on an object such as a license plate to see greater detail and then take a screen shot.

Back