Mobius ActionCam Wishlist 2015

One further thought which might be useful to commercial drivers driving long distances over many days, and as mentioned by a few other members on here, perhaps some means to connect an external SSD to the Mobius might be a good idea?

I've seen the card adapter cables which allow use of larger form SD Cards, so there's somebody making the pseudo micro-SD 'plug' now. It seems that all you'd need after that is a data recorder which mimicked the card and translated to whatever the storage format was; in other words an external data recorder which could then be used with any micro-SD cam or device, not only the Mobius.

It would certainly open up a lot of opportunities for other uses where the micro-SD card is currently the limiting factor. 64GB cards are dear in price and bigger ones (if usable in your cams) are impossible to justify in many budgets (including mine).

I'm not technically minded enough to do this but if someone went forward with this idea I think they would find enough of a market to make it financially worthwhile.

Phil

I wonder if they'll stick to Novatwk and their newer chips which seem to run cooler?

Wifi would be cool but I wonder how much weight it would add as I guess they're mainly catering for the RC crowd as first priority?

All interesting times and will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new JooVuu camera as that and the Xiaomi Yi will be taking sales from Möbius in multiple markets
I think they will use Novatek chipset, for Ambarella, A7 seems an old chipset due to A12 will release soon, for A12, will take long time for developing.
So they will use Novatek 96660 which support 60fps and almost have same ability as A12.

If they want to keep it small as current version, it will be hard to add WiFi/Bluetooth.
And their main competitor will be Xiaoyi and Joovuu, all are no LCD screen(just guess), every camera have special features and designed for special market.
To make a 1080P camera is very easy now-days, so the firmware support, good design, build quality, after-sales will be more important.

Support WiFi is easy, but not for Bluetooth, so why xiaoyi take so long time to release their bluetooth remote control.

@map mentioned access the camera data without having to have a second cable, a remote control like from GIT1 simply do this, much better then WiFi remote.

It would certainly open up a lot of opportunities for other uses where the micro-SD card is currently the limiting factor. 64GB cards are dear in price and bigger ones (if usable in your cams) are impossible to justify in many budgets (including mine).

I'm not technically minded enough to do this but if someone went forward with this idea I think they would find enough of a market to make it financially worthwhile.

Phil
128GB Micro SD cards have been available for some time and work well in the Mobius but only when formatted with exFAT. They are still very expensive though.

128GB Micro SD cards have been available for some time and work well in the Mobius but only when formatted with exFAT. They are still very expensive though.

That's not entirely true, I purchased a SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter from Amazon in October 2014, formatted it FAT32 and it has recorded footage nearly every day for approx 8 hours per day. I've copied footage off it onto my iMac and MacBook Pro several times, and it has worked flawlessly to date. And yes I did leave it recording continuously to ensure it really was a 128GB card. It cost me just under £70 including delivery and was supplied and shipped from Amazon which I didn't think was too unreasonable.

Have noticed that larger cards are now being advertised on Amazon, though still feel that a SSD would be the better option because it would allow for the video footage to be stored safely well away from the dash cam and the risk of possible theft or damage.

That's not entirely true, I purchased a SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter from Amazon in October 2014, formatted it FAT32 and it has recorded footage nearly every day for approx 8 hours per day. I've copied footage off it onto my iMac and MacBook Pro several times, and it has worked flawlessly to date. And yes I did leave it recording continuously to ensure it really was a 128GB card. It cost me just under £70 including delivery and was supplied and shipped from Amazon which I didn't think was too unreasonable.

Have noticed that larger cards are now being advertised on Amazon, though still feel that a SSD would be the better option because it would allow for the video footage to be stored safely well away from the dash cam and the risk of possible theft or damage.

I was always under the impression that you needed FAT32 for the 128GB cards to recycle on the Mobius, I'm sure I'd read previously that they won't recycle if using exFAT, maybe @Isoprop can clarify

I was always under the impression that you needed FAT32 for the 128GB cards to recycle on the Mobius, I'm sure I'd read previously that they won't recycle if using exFAT, maybe @Isoprop can clarify

post #85 above
7/17/15 - Isoprop:

"128GB Micro SD cards have been available for some time and work well in the Mobius but only when formatted with exFAT."

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm confused too.

post #85 above
7/17/15 - Isoprop:

"128GB Micro SD cards have been available for some time and work well in the Mobius but only when formatted with exFAT."

yeah I know he wrote that, was pretty sure I'd read the opposite previously so wasn't sure if it was a mistake or not

FAT32 should loop reliably on this platform, I've been testing 128gb for a couple of weeks now on ours, exFAT though is a problem so I was thinking it was possibly just a typo above

OK, It's exFAT for cards 128GB or higher on the Mobius. Here's a screen grab of the pop up tool tip from the mSetup GUI.

ExfAT.png

Seems there is some conflicting advice floating around as to whether to use exFAT or FAT32 for larger capacity SD cards in the Mobius - am more than a little confused now!!!

Must say that I've had no problems with the 128GB SD card formatted FAT32 fitted in my Mobius, which incidentally has been in nearly daily use since Oct 2014 (so almost 10 months) and it has automatically looped round on a regular basis when full, and records over the older clips because it is set to record continuously when at work, using an external power-pack to power it, rather than hard-wired, because I use it in several cars.

Settings for the Mobius are: video clip length 3 mins, video data rate HIGH, frame rate 30, video resolution 1080p, video time stamp ON, Audio ON, WDR ON, video file type MOV.

Is there any particular reason why the Sandisk 128GB card I'm using shouldn't be formatted FAT32, or is it simply because so few users are currently using larger cards that the developers have little information to go on when providing recommendations?

Wow, thank you PTZ for the information which is just what I've been looking for, though I've tried placing a few items into the basket and the site just freezes up, with the browser message that the server isn't responding - just my luck!

Any luck with ordering/using these cables?

Seems there is some conflicting advice floating around as to whether to use exFAT or FAT32 for larger capacity SD cards in the Mobius - am more than a little confused now!!!

Must say that I've had no problems with the 128GB SD card formatted FAT32 fitted in my Mobius, which incidentally has been in nearly daily use since Oct 2014 (so almost 10 months) and it has automatically looped round on a regular basis when full, and records over the older clips because it is set to record continuously when at work, using an external power-pack to power it, rather than hard-wired, because I use it in several cars.

Settings for the Mobius are: video clip length 3 mins, video data rate HIGH, frame rate 30, video resolution 1080p, video time stamp ON, Audio ON, WDR ON, video file type MOV.

Is there any particular reason why the Sandisk 128GB card I'm using shouldn't be formatted FAT32, or is it simply because so few users are currently using larger cards that the developers have little information to go on when providing recommendations?
I don't know how you formatted your 128GB card to FAT32 but all my tests with 128GB cards show that the camera will not work with 128GB cards formatted to FAT32! Maybe you have used different cluster sizes? I believe you originally said you formatted your card using a MAC. Are you sure it is formatted with FAT32? If you have a PC, mSetup will show if the card is formatted to exFAT or not. I would be interested in a screen capture.
It is also not possible to format 128GB cards to FAT32 using the in-camera formatting routine.
There should not be any conflicting advice:
ALWAYS use FAT32 for loop recording, except with 128GB cards where FAT32 will not even work - at least with the Windows FAT32 formatting tools I have tried.
I haven't done any long-term tests with 128GB cards using loop recording yet.

I have some 128gb cards that I've been using in our Novatek based cameras formatted as FAT32 that have been working fine so far, will try one in a Mobius and see how it behaves

I don't know how you formatted your 128GB card to FAT32 but all my tests with 128GB cards show that the camera will not work with 128GB cards formatted to FAT32! Maybe you have used different cluster sizes? I believe you originally said you formatted your card using a MAC. Are you sure it is formatted with FAT32? If you have a PC, mSetup will show if the card is formatted to exFAT or not. I would be interested in a screen capture.
It is also not possible to format 128GB cards to FAT32 using the in-camera formatting routine.
There should not be any conflicting advice:
ALWAYS use FAT32 for loop recording, except with 128GB cards where FAT32 will not even work - at least with the Windows FAT32 formatting tools I have tried.
I haven't done any long-term tests with 128GB cards using loop recording yet.

Very interesting comments indeed, I'm at work now so the Mobius is quietly recording in the car. I will take a look at the card later this evening to see what I can figure out for you, but am almost certain that it is being formatted FAT32 using the 'Disk Utility' application installed as standard on the iMac and the MacBook Pro. Will also take a look at the 'properties' of the card to see what it says and take a few screenshots for you.

It's looping round when full without any issues and the Mobius has recorded to the card reliably since it was fitted. I've also used the 128GB card in a Mini 0806 dash cam, though took the time to format it before using.

Ought to mention that I also used a Kingston 64GB card for a short time in the Mobius which I also formatted FAT32 on the Mac, though replaced it with the larger Sandisk 128GB card only because the recording time wasn't quite long enough for my purposes. Have to say that the 64GB card worked reliably in the Mobius and is now fitted in the Mini 0806 on a permanent basis.

Sorry but I don't have a Windows PC to test it on. Do you have a friend or colleague with a Mac so that you could try 'Disk Utility' out for yourself, perhaps pop into the local Apple Store with an SD card and adapter?

Any luck with ordering/using these cables?

Sorry PTZ, as I mentioned in my previous post, the site wasn't loading whenI tried to place my original order so I clicked away, then promptly forgot to go back and try later, will give it another go later this evening because I really could do with a 3m cable with the 90 degree connector.

You are right! I successfully formatted a 128GB card on a Mac to FAT32 and it records fine. Afterwards I could also format it back and forth between the two file systems on my PC. Go figure!
So that is definitely the way to go. If you can successfully format your card to FAT32 then I expect it's the best option to use for loop recording. Like I said, I haven't done any long-term tests using 128GB cards and exFAT. Short tests of a couple of days were successful.
Don't use in-camera formatting if setup to FAT32. The card will become unformatted.
Looks like it's time to update the manual....

Back