Mobius footage - close calls and accidents. Post your videos.

Here you go - a screen shot. You can see they were cutting the corner (from the middle lane to the inside lane) way before I appear to move over to the lane divider from the outside lane. There was no way they were going to make that turn at that speed in the wet. I had the misfortune of being left with having to make a quick decision on the best way to avoid any contact.

My rear camera is mounted around 6ft off the ground (mid size SUV) which changes the lane marking perspective compared to a sedan/ hatch.

Toyota4wd.jpg

Hey you were there and I wasn't so that's that. All I saw was that at about 17-18 seconds in you seemed to be drifting into his lane and he started moving away to avoid you. By 20 seconds into the video, the lane marker is more than halfway across the screen of the camera. To me there is no question that you were in his lane at this point. No optical affects are going to cause this.

mrM8th55O_o_pTeEXlhLKN68XDkPTZ80pMT8vil4dm_ituhkaZpAUR7AylZ7UB1intPbeRU3e7pUhP9XviGQvONu1v7y73s6kqq_1VC9ZrPnYYJt08RschThkKOU2mdL3F2NNem8dZOR9kmiTqr-AJHkywZ34OE_lrFOUAYZTl-RL4RMwpMRNeMuWbqD68-RM5C0Hq0D4FY3mMcxkNARJ-1j3_5XHGiRNOXpYqmVgZQpQH2QwsC6-PML6OwoWqXhNwj_CTHLb8BIwRA5IDl_lQwfBYDhcyDuiHMDasDS8H_Q46OUn_SXxkBYRxUzMTsUfA1x61q-P9boxbkmiGA0TnTqg5_ZeldUvYTbZkfidXbnzdtvP36Zud0nwNw-ZTTdLKXVYul91VYyJLt40GBKt2kw-UMOFIKND-MtrZMVhglvgYpag7sFx3GphZHlKgau2QPBXQR4D-53ZBgPfhEEbOSwL_ZJBfrit-7gzn01GeaRq_6wqDmnKXlRd4gOVLObUbqVvbcc_o3TXk8C-PI1Dp5OJLRR4F2G1vjz9glasL7R_f0NWjMUIg8gWjWCsxZKIHbbVMjoGI3S1b3nNmxYBKQJxyYQqLenxttkuhvBJKbXtc6eq9g=w1732-h974-no

I have a feeling if you didn't move toward and then into his lane, he wouldn't have had any issue making the turn. Again I wasn't there but this is what the video shows me.

Yep you weren't there. I was side swiped about 8 months back so I wasn't hanging around next to this person. Once again, check out how they suddenly accelerated entering the intersection. That was a crazy thing to do. I was faced with getting wiped out by them if I stayed at the same speed or going a bit faster than I was planning to keep ahead. I would do the same again in that situation. There was no way they were going to make that turn- no matter what I did or didn't do.

Yep you weren't there. I was side swiped about 8 months back so I wasn't hanging around next to this person. Once again, check out how they suddenly accelerated entering the intersection. That was a crazy thing to do. I was faced with getting wiped out by them if I stayed at the same speed or going a bit faster than I was planning to keep ahead. I would do the same again in that situation. There was no way they were going to make that turn- no matter what I did or didn't do.

So I was having dinner and drinks with a buddy of mine this weekend and we starting talking about dashcam videos. I remembered about this one and decide to get his take. The reason I asked him about this video is the fact that he's an officer at the local sheriff's office and I thought he'd have good insight. His first response was " I can't believe he posted that on the web!" Here's his take.... If you watch the video closely you can see that the other car moves over as he (you) moves over, ie. trying to avoid getting hit by him (you). He(you) definitely crossed over into the other car's lane and my friend feels that if the other driver sustained damages that you would likely be found liable for those damages based on this video evidence. He (you) could also be charged with fleeing the scene of an accident.

Here are his rebuttals to you last comments:

"I was side swiped about 8 months back so I wasn't hanging around next to this person. Once again, check out how they suddenly accelerated entering the intersection."
- Speeding up and cutting them off doesn't make sense if he (you) was trying to avoid them from spinning out and hitting him (you). If he (you) was worried about them speeding up the BEST way to avoid them would have been to slow down and let them pass. It also looked like he (you) had the option of going straight and not turning, however it's hard to tell and maybe this wasn't possible.

"I was faced with getting wiped out by them if I stayed at the same speed or going a bit faster than I was planning to keep ahead." - He (you) says he's (you're) worried about them going too fast, sliding out and side swiping him (you) so then he (you) speed up.(?) So, for the other car to speed up into the turn was crazy but for him (you) to do it was OK? That defies all logic.

"There was no way they were going to make that turn- no matter what I did or didn't do." - Funny to say they couldn't have made that turn at that speed but he (you) could. Also, when cars slide out in a turn from speed, centrifugal force takes them to the OUTSIDE of the turn, not the inside, therefore them not making the turn by going to the inside of the turn was a direct result of them trying to avoid the car cutting into their lane (you).

He suggests you remove the video from the web ASAP. Remember dashcams can be a blessing and a curse, they can work for and against you. In this case he feels this works against you much more than for you.

I went back an forth on whether to post this or not. You already seem very defensive and my intentions are not to upset you but to warn you in case the other drive sustained damages and one day finds this video.
Regardless of if you post a response or not, I will not respond again as we have already taken this thread off topic.

All the best!

Last edited:
Todays catch, nothing big in a long time so this is all i got.

Remember dashcams can be a blessing and a curse, they can work for and against you.!

No truer statement has ever been made- dashcams are a double-edged sword which require great care in the wielding or you will get harmed yourself :eek:
Review your own driving while reviewing your vids and think about what others may see in you and how you can better address that ;) Be safe out there!

Phil

The one thing I've learnt over the years is to always keep a close eye on what is going on around you. Keep a safety margin- in both speed and distance- between you and other vehicles.

The laws also aren't so black and white in Australia. Often it's the person whose insurance company fights the hardest who is the winner in the end- so better to avoid any contact in the first place. It's so easy to be an arm chair critic, but when you're faced with a split second decision involving a 2000kg vehicle with a bull-bar (being driven way past safe limits) you should look out for your own safety first.

I always fit top of the range tyres to my vehicles as I consider them part of my insurance. The same with shock absorbers. They might help me one day to stop in a shorter distance, swerve to avoid an accident or provide extra grip in the wet.

Crazy drivers are out there....

This is from 2 years ago. I was in lane #4 to exit to Baltic Rd. I noticed an SUV cutting THROUGH from #2 to #4, so I performed a straight-line emergency stop. When I called 911, I was told that because we were blocking traffic and could drive, that we should just file the report later at the station.

If I didn't have the dashcam video, I would have gotten cited for the accident because the damage was on her rear fender and my front fender.

The cop was ready to cite me, but I pulled out my laptop and showed him the video. The first thing he said was that my dashcam was better than his. Then he said that it's obvious she cut through 2 lanes without pausing, so she got cited for Failure to Yield, as well as driving on a suspended license.

Good thing that I had comprehensive and collision coverage. She also had no insurance. I would really like my $250 deductible back.

My Mobius goes with me everywhere!

Back