Mobius is not recognized

My 2 Cents
It might be nice if there was a small support coming off the base mounting plate to secure the micro usb connection.
To stop it from wiggling on bumpy roads, which can damage the micro USB connector.

Shipslayer

I didnt had this issue yet with Mobius, but with some other mini-usb dashcams.
I do prefer and support micro-usb type like Dimika use and like most mobike phones. Micro-usb type plug has those two "teeth" which hold strongly. I can even hold smart phone by cable vertically down, swing or shake it and it will not disconnect.
Micro-usb having also 5 pin gives same varieties of options as 5 pin mini-usb.

I didnt had this issue yet with Mobius, but with some other mini-usb dashcams.
I do prefer and support micro-usb type like Dimika use and like most mobike phones. Micro-usb type plug has those two "teeth" which hold strongly. I can even hold smart phone by cable vertically down, swing or shake it and it will not disconnect.
Micro-usb having also 5 pin gives same varieties of options as 5 pin mini-usb.
Both the mini and the micro have advantages and disadvantages. The micro has about double the mechanical lifetime as far as the number if connections/disconnections go but it is also much more fragile than the mini. I have broken a couple of micros, but never a mini (and I've been using minis much longer than micros!). Because of the smaller size and thin contacts it's much easier to 'lift' the circuit board track with a micro connector. Try connecting a micro in a dark area with little space and you'll soon realize how fragile the micro is! If you do a Google search you'll find that many, many people have problems with the micro connectors on their mobile phones. You have to handle them much more carefully than the mini. If you only connect them once in a while, like for dashcam use, then they may be the better choice, especially because of the latch mechanism. For universal use I believe the advantages of the mini outweigh it's disadvantages by a long shot.
When the Mobius was on the drawing board the developer evaluated both the mini and micro connectors and decided the mini was better suited for various reasons. Primarily it was more robust and much easier for DIY. To my knowledge there have not been any reports of mechanical problems with the USB connectors on the Mobius so far.

Last edited:
Both the mini and the micro have advantages and disadvantages. The micro has about double the mechanical lifetime as far as the number if connections/disconnections go but it is also much more fragile than the mini. I have broken a couple of micros, but never a mini (and I've been using minis much longer than micros!). Because of the smaller size and thin contacts it's much easier to 'lift' the circuit board track with a micro connector. Try connecting a micro in a dark and refrained area and you'll soon realize how fragile the micro is! If you do a Google search you'll find that many, many people have problems with the micro connectors on their mobile phones. You have to handle them much more carefully than the mini. If you only connect them once in a while, like for dashcam use, then they may be the better choice, especially because of the latch mechanism. For universal use I believe the advantages of the mini outweigh it's disadvantages by a long shot.
When the Mobius was on the drawing board the developer evaluated both the mini and micro connectors and decided the mini was better suited for various reasons. Primarily it was more robust and much easier for DIY. To my knowledge there have not been any reports of mechanical problems with the USB connectors on the Mobius so far.
What is the lifespan of the Micro with daily connect/disconnects?

One of my Mobius cams had a chronic problem with an increasingly loosening mini-USB connector. At first I spent weeks and weeks thinking I had a firmware problem with the camera shutting itself down unexpectedly until enough troubleshooting revealed it to be a bad connector. I eventually discovered that the internal plastic part where the pins plug in was cracked. Some careful fiddling with the socket and plug helped at first but the thing eventually became useless and I had to buy a whole new board and rebuild the camera. The plug on the new board has been fine......so far.

When I think back on a lifetime of owning a wide variety of different electronics it seems as if the connectors are always the weak point. As a teenager it was always the full size phone plugs (like those used on electric guitars) that would break....or the sockets themselves would become damaged. How many radios, tape recorders and walkmans have I owned with loose or broken mini-jacks, mini-phone connectors or sockets? How many wall-wart connectors have I constantly had to fiddle with because they were loose and not charging? How many bent pins have I had on Din or mini-din plugs or F connectors or S-video connectors? Of course, there is a whole list of cumbersome and less than reliable computer connection technologies that have been abandoned for what in hindsight are obvious reasons.

So it seems that mini-usb and micro-usb are part of a long tradition of less than ideal design.

It seems to me, from personal experience with all these things that in recent years Apple Computer has been one of the few companies that has made an effort to finally address the "connector" problem. I noticed this first with the MagSafe connector for laptops. It was (and is) a very durable, secure NdFeB magnetic 5 pin power connector for laptops that won't drag your machine off your desk if you trip over the wire. Then there was the 30 pin Dock connector which was a very durable and secure plug for iPod and iPhone. It wasn't perfect but it seemed better to me than anything else out there. Now they have replaced the 30-pin Dock connector with the Lightning Connector and to my mind they've come the closest so far to the ideal miniature data/power connector. The Lightning connector is a solid slab and therefore very durable compared to other thin metal types and it can be inserted into the device with either side facing up or down which eliminates one of the most annoying and cumbersome aspects of the micro-USB or mini-USB connector. It also has no pins, which is one of its best assets in my view. So far in my experience it has been solid, reliable and unfailing under any usage conditions. Both the plug and socket have even taken some abuse with no ill effects or loosening.

Unfortunately, the Lightning connector is proprietary and is exclusive to the iPad, iPhone and iPod. Then again, Apple has been the inventor of other (complete) connection technologies that have become industry standards such as IEEE 1394 (FireWire) and maybe this might happen one day with the Lightning connector itself. Or maybe some other company will devote the resources to inventing a connection technology that will finally resolve the deficiencies and disadvantages of the micro and mini USB connectors we are all forced to live with. It is quite remarkable when I stop to think about it that here in 2014 with all the amazing technology we have available to us we are still stuck with loose connectors and bent pins.

Lighting,_Mini,_Micro,_&_USB_3.0_plugs.jpg

lightning.jpg

MagSafe connector
250px-MagSafe1.jpg

Last edited:
The lightning connector will have company soon

Yes, I've seen that. Like the Lightning adapter it will be reversible which is a plus but it appears (so far) that it will still be a plug design that is made of thin sheet metal that is easily subject to distortion and damage. The pin-less solid "slab" design of the Lightning adapter is remarkably indestructible. Another thing about the Lightning adapter is how securely it holds in the device once it is inserted. Hopefully, the new USB design will also address this issue but the photos on the BBC article don't appear like much of a change on that score.

Edit: According to CNET it seems that the new USB design will make an audible click when plugged in correctly...whatever "correctly" means. If it clicks I would assume it should hold better.
It is also "designed to be plugged and unplugged 10,000 times". Time will tell but it all sounds positive.

Last edited:
I received a new mobius, but it has a problem, it seems like it cannot stop recording.
When i start it, the blue led blinks few times (starting up), and then the yellow one blinks constantly (Recording). If i press the snapshot button, nothing happens - the yellow LED continues to blink steadily.
If i press the Mode button, nothing happens.
when i start it up (with or without an SD card), the yellow light start blinking, then pushing the snapshot doesn't do anything. but if i push the snapshot once (stop recording) and then the Mode button (switch mode) then a red LED lights up constantly with the blinking yellow + read read LED. if i push the mode again, the red LED goes away but the rear LED stays.

When i connect it to the PC, it automatically loads and starts recording again. And it isn't recognized by the PC.
Even when i connect it without an SD card it goes into recording mode, but pushing the snapshot+mode doesn't light up the red LED like when its not connected.
When i disconnect it - it shuts down.

I tried the reset button, doesn't seem to help.

The problem it is not recognized by the PC and i'm guessing its because its recording and not communicating the plug-n-play protocol or whatever via the USB port.
Don't know how to make it stop recording.

I received a new mobius, but it has a problem, it seems like it cannot stop recording.
When i start it, the blue led blinks few times (starting up), and then the yellow one blinks constantly (Recording). If i press the snapshot button, nothing happens - the yellow LED continues to blink steadily.
If i press the Mode button, nothing happens.
when i start it up (with or without an SD card), the yellow light start blinking, then pushing the snapshot doesn't do anything. but if i push the snapshot once (stop recording) and then the Mode button (switch mode) then a red LED lights up constantly with the blinking yellow + read read LED. if i push the mode again, the red LED goes away but the rear LED stays.

When i connect it to the PC, it automatically loads and starts recording again. And it isn't recognized by the PC.
Even when i connect it without an SD card it goes into recording mode, but pushing the snapshot+mode doesn't light up the red LED like when its not connected.
When i disconnect it - it shuts down.

I tried the reset button, doesn't seem to help.

The problem it is not recognized by the PC and i'm guessing its because its recording and not communicating the plug-n-play protocol or whatever via the USB port.
Don't know how to make it stop recording.
I don't think it's recording but rather it can't record because there's a problem with your card. If the yellow LED blinks about twice per second then this is the case. Try another card, preferably class 4 or even less, or maybe your card is full?

bad card or not, shouldn't it stop blinking at some point?
Even without a card it should be able to connect to the PC in order to act as a webcam.

plugged it with a different cable to a different computer and formatted the card (which happened to be full). fixed.
that was some weird behavior nevertheless.

Last edited:
plugged it with a different cable to a different computer and formatted the card (which happened to be full). fixed.
that was some weird behavior nevertheless.
That's normal behavior. The yellow LED will always blink about 2 times per second when the card is full or there's a problem with the SD card. Had you connected your PC (or a monitor) you would have seen the message "Card Full".

It wasn't blinking exceptionally fast, it was blinking normal ~1 per second.
The problem is that it did that when connected to the pc as well, how was i supposed to format it if its not recognized? Im not supposed to have 2*pc +2*cable to use the mobius.

I don't think the pc nor the cable was at fault cus after formating the card, it now recognized and works as intended on the first pc using the first cable.
So only the state of the card changed. Full is not supposed to make the camera unusable and unrecognizeable. Thats the weird behaviour i was refering to.

It wasn't blinking exceptionally fast, it was blinking normal ~1 per second.
The problem is that it did that when connected to the pc as well, how was i supposed to format it if its not recognized? Im not supposed to have 2*pc +2*cable to use the mobius.

I don't think the pc nor the cable was at fault cus after formating the card, it now recognized and works as intended on the first pc using the first cable.
So only the state of the card changed. Full is not supposed to make the camera unusable and unrecognizeable. Thats the weird behaviour i was refering to.
Yes, that is indeed weird. However, I've also seen the weirdest things happen when there's a problem with the card. A lot also depends on the OS - OK, as of today XP should be 'out', but I still use it for testing.

What is the lifespan of the Micro with daily connect/disconnects?
They say 10,000 connections which is ~13 years if you charge (connect/disconnect) your camera once per day. The Mini will only survive half that amount of connections.
I've been using Minis for many, many, years and have never had a socket failure yet. The plug/cable is a different matter and I've had too many cable failures to count. I don't know if the Micro cables are better - most likely not.

Those Apple lightening connectors are rubbish, i have had lots of failures with them and im not exactly heavy handed

Those Apple lightening connectors are rubbish, i have had lots of failures with them and im not exactly heavy handed

This is the first time I've ever heard of any failure of a Lightening connector. Calling them "rubbish" seems a bit extreme. And specifically, my post was referring to the durable "slab" design of the plug compared to the semi-exposed pins and thin metal of a mini or micro USB plug. If the Lightening plug itself falls apart I would be rather surprised.

This is the first time I've ever heard of any failure of a Lightening connector. Calling them "rubbish" seems a bit extreme. And specifically, my post was referring to the durable "slab" design of the plug compared to the semi-exposed pins and thin metal of a mini or micro USB plug. If the Lightening plug itself falls apart I would be rather surprised.

I haven't read the thread, I just saw the lightening cable and shivered :)

I prefer the slab design over the lightening USB 100% I'm not the only one to suffer a failure. Search online for "iPad not charging" issues. I've gone through 3 in a year!

I haven't read the thread, I just saw the lightening cable and shivered :)

I prefer the slab design over the lightening USB 100% I'm not the only one to suffer a failure. Search online for "iPad not charging" issues. I've gone through 3 in a year!

I've not had any problems whatsoever with any of my Lightning connectors but I concede that you are correct that people have had issues after following your suggestion to search the topic. Perhaps the more recent versions are improved or like our favorite camera, the Mobius, some of us have had problems and some of us haven't. I guess it goes back to my previous post about connectors being the weak point in much of our fancy technology.

I've not had any problems whatsoever with any of my Lightning connectors but I concede that you are correct that people have had issues after following your suggestion to search the topic. Perhaps the more recent versions are improved or like our favorite camera, the Mobius, some of us have had problems and some of us haven't. I guess it goes back to my previous post about connectors being the weak point in much of our fancy technology.

I think the issue is more iPad related than iPhone related. I still own an iPhone 4 but own an iPad 4 so do not have any experience from the phone side.

I'm sure apple will loose the connector one day and/or come up with a docking charge system, my old blackberry used to charge like that, no messing around with wires just drop on the cradle and leave it

Back