Mobius is not recognized

Excellent, glad it worked. Windows 8 is a mess, drove me crazy trying to get my phone recognized.

Just remember to point Mobius down a little to help with the exposure and if you need any help, we're here. Enjoy your Mobius.

yes thank you very much. i just installed my super capacitor and rehooked it to the computer just to double check that i wasnt imagining things and its still being recognized. so hopefully whenever i turn my laptop off, hopefully it'll save whatever its doing now and not mess up again lol

my friend is coming back to my house tomorrow so we can do dash cam install version 2 and make sure he's good to go... then im just waiting for my mini usb extension. i cant wait.

just did my first test drive and clip transfer, all is looking good

This camera is really flunky.
I got a new laptop, using the same camera, with the same USB cable, same sd-card, it is being recognized without a problem on my old laptop, but not on the new one.
On the new one it just says "usb device not recognized" (using the USB 2.0 port, on the USB 3.0 nothing at all).
Using it without an sd-card it is recognized as webcam in device manager, but as soon as i try to actually use it (through a software) i hear that windows sound of a device being un-plugged and plugged back in, and obviously it disappears from the software, so its un-usable.

On my PC the mobius is recognized on my rear USB ports, but not on the front panel ones. says USB device not recognized.

i really don't understand this inconsistency, and its quite a problem.
i never had this problem with any other usb device or any usb onkey/flash stick.

As Tom Frank at RCGroups recently said... "From my involvement with this thread since it's inception, I'd estimate that about 95% of the current camera problems users have are related to card compatibility and communication (inc. formatting and USB cables/plugs/ports) and battery issues. Most of the rest are user oversight or errors. Only about 1-2% are due to camera physical problems based on warranty returns last time I heard)".

did you miss the part saying using exactly the same USB cable and it works on my old laptop?!
but just for science i tried 3 different cables, one of them is the one that came with the mobius, same result.

same sd card, been formatted using msetup from within the camera.
currently empty.

the only difference is the computers (same OS though). i'd say its a windows problem, but since all other flash sticks have no problem being recognized i'm leaning more towards mobius fault here. not to mention it works on my rear ports but nor the front ones on PC. So thats definitely not OS problem. Could be a port problem, but then again, everything else works from the front.
hopefully the developer can take another look at it as i never came across another device being so picky about the USB ports its being plugged into. Its supposed to work in any usb port.

p.s.
firmware 2.33 (latest)

If it were an older computer I would wonder if it could be that the front USB ports aren't providing enough current for the Mobius?

My PC case is pretty old, its an antec sonata II, i think its ~10 years old?
but the power comes from the usb cable that comes from the motherboard, which is quite new.

I tried another cable that came with a pocket camera, and the mobius is recognized on my new laptop using it.
So i guess you are right. But then i tried plugging the pocket camera using one of "bad" cables and it also worked.
Why is the Mobius more sensitive to the type of cables then other devices then?

still have to test it on my pc when i get back to it.

I got a new laptop, using the same camera, with the same USB cable, same sd-card, it is being recognized without a problem on my old laptop, but not on the new one.
On the new one it just says "usb device not recognized" (using the USB 2.0 port, on the USB 3.0 nothing at all).
Using it without an sd-card it is recognized as webcam in device manager, but as soon as i try to actually use it (through a software) i hear that windows sound of a device being un-plugged and plugged back in, and obviously it disappears from the software, so its un-usable.

On my PC the mobius is recognized on my rear USB ports, but not on the front panel ones. says USB device not recognized.

i really don't understand this inconsistency, and its quite a problem.
i never had this problem with any other usb device or any usb onkey/flash stick.
There are too many USB chips/ports to count and many manufacturers cut corners to save costs. The Mobius is much more demanding than a general-purpose USB stick.
As you may be aware, one of the BIG advantages of the Mobius is that it uses a standard USB socket and not a non-standard USB connection which can cause all sorts of problems and is very inconvenient.
Using a standard USB plug/socket (we're talking about two wires, Pin #2 and pin #3) for video-out, audio-out, webcam, communication and storage requires additional circuitry which puts additional overhead on the communication protocol (more electronics involved). In addition, the Mobius requires the USB port to supply 500mA as defined by the USB specifications. If the PC/device manufacturer doesn't rigidly adhere to the USB specifications then it's not a Mobius problem, I'm afraid.
It doesn't surprise me that your front ports don't work but your rear ports do. The rear ports are soldered directly to the motherboard whereas the front ports may be shared with other devices or even have an integrated hub but are certainly connected with a (low quality?) cable to the motherboard. FWIW, I have tested the Mobius directly on many PC's/Notebooks and have never experienced a problem so long the ports are USB 2.0. I only use high quality cables and avoid hubs.
Another problem can be proprietary so called high-speed drivers, so make sure you don't have these installed. This could be the problem with your Notebook, although if you hear the plugged/unplugged sound I would think this is because of an underpowered socket as @map has posted.

I have same problem, contact seller to ship back for replacement.

Best bet is try another computer, preferably not Windows 8, which is known to have driver issues.

The more I use my Dell W8.1 laptop, the more I wish I hadn't bought it :oops: Having recognition problems here too- new Mobius, new cable, tried all possible starting configurations (cam off/PC on; Cam on/PC off etc) to no avail last night. Always "device not recognized" even with another cable. Also tried 2 relatively new and tested cards (Samsung and Transcend 32G class 10) which work fine with my G1Wc that I manually formatted in the Mobius. So I'm figuring this has to be another Windows issue and not the cam. Just to see what would happen I let the Mobuis record inside the house a few minutes and it played back perfectly but I have no clue what the settings are without the GUI interface. I'm too rusty at things to try the manual text-config stuff unless nothing else works.

I also tried my ancient XP desktop and got similar but once it did identify it as mass storage. No card reader on it and it's nearly dead which is why I want to set this up on the laptop instead. Going to try again later, perhaps the more direct rear USB ports will work. If it will get me the GUI connected even once I'll be happy for now. When one runs out of patience, that's a good time to stop tinkering- W8.1 starts that process with me so there's not much left for the Mobius :(

I think this is an awesome little cam from what I've read and from what little I've played with it, but if the computer doesn't like it the GUI is of little help to me. It's definitely not as dummy-friendly as my G1Wc which was almost intuitive to set up. I will update here later as I learn, and if anyone has suggestions specific to getting the Dell Windows 8.1 laptop to properly recognize it I could sure use that help!

Phil

(Edit: Still no joy here after trying all USB ports with all other USB devices unplugged. More details in post 24 here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dui-doesnt-see-mobius.3839/page-2

Phil

(Added 6/18 : Not sure why but this time it worked in "Removable Drive" mode so I got the settings I wanted- next to mount it!)

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Had similar experiences to this with my Mobius today. I was trying to change a setting on the mobius, but when I plugged it in with the provided cable, it started recording, because I had it set to start recording when connected to external power. It would not be recognized by the software. Previously, this had not happened when I was using the cable that came with the camera - it would only happen when I used the charge-only cable that came with the mobius' car charger.

My computer kept trying to install new drivers, and restarting the computer didn't solve the problem. Also tried using a different USB port on the front of the computer - did not help. One time, the camera did show up as an external drive, but it would never load, the green bar would fill very slowly, but not quite finish.

I solved the problem by using a different cable - the cable that came with my PS3, which is used for charging the controllers. XD It was recognized by the software and I was able to update the settings.

Had similar experiences to this with my Mobius today. I was trying to change a setting on the mobius, but when I plugged it in with the provided cable, it started recording, because I had it set to start recording when connected to external power. It would not be recognized by the software. Previously, this had not happened when I was using the cable that came with the camera - it would only happen when I used the charge-only cable that came with the mobius' car charger.

My computer kept trying to install new drivers, and restarting the computer didn't solve the problem. Also tried using a different USB port on the front of the computer - did not help. One time, the camera did show up as an external drive, but it would never load, the green bar would fill very slowly, but not quite finish.

I solved the problem by using a different cable - the cable that came with my PS3, which is used for charging the controllers. XD It was recognized by the software and I was able to update the settings.

Yes, the Mobius cable is a 5-pin USB-A to mini-B which your computer recognizes because it has the wiring to create a DATA connection with the camera. The charging only cable doesn't have the white & green data wires and therefore won't allow the camera to be recognized by the computer but the camera will still get 5V power from the computer and will just start recording if set to do that.

USBpinouts.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware of that. What I was saying was that the mobius was no longer being recognized while I was using the included data transfer usb cable that came with the mobius, but It did work with a different data transfer usb cable.

Yes, I am aware of that. What I was saying was that the mobius was no longer being recognized while I was using the included data transfer usb cable that came with the mobius, but It did work with a different data transfer usb cable.

Oh, I see. Sounds like a bad cable then.

FWIW, here's my experience stuggling to connect Mobius to a desktop PC running Win XP. Issue #1: After a trouble-free beginning, my file transfer speed slowed drastically over several weeks, and eventually XP could not even see Mobius as a drive. Running DriveCleanup did not help. Simply hot-unplugging and re-plugging every USB cable into the PC completely fixed this issue. Issue #2: From the start, mSetup would not communicate ("unknown device") with Mobius, not even after resolution of the preceding issue. The workaround I found was to run mSetup with administrator privileges. With my Win 7 laptop, I've had NO issues at all.

my mobius has been running pretty well lately... just uploaded another dash cam video today.....

youtube.com/honhon05

and to reiterate my issue was the fact that i was using a class of card that wasnt able to be used by the camera

Back