Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Unfortunately I've spent months trying to get webcam mode working with the Maxi and either of my 2No windows 10 computers. The frustrating thing is that it did work for me many months ago, so I can only assume that it is a driver or firmware issue.
I guess I joined the same club lol. I wish I knew to be careful taking the lens cap off because the camera worked great until I twisted the lens cap off and the Lens turned with it, probably was not tight from the factory. There should be a warning not to twist the lens cap off just pop it off. Hopefully I save someone from twisting their cap off and ruining the focus.

I got the focus the best I could by eye, but I doubt its as good as it was from the factory when I received it.

I think I'll wait a little more before buying mine.....

I purchased a Mobius Maxi a couple of weeks ago and so far like it a LOT, except for one issue. For the life of me, I could not get the videos to work / play in RegistratorViewer. After a bit of digging I realized it has a problem with the MJPEG files that are produced when recording in the higher resolutions on the Maxi. I tried a few codecs to see it I could get it to work but haven't had any luck.

So my question is.... What's the best viewer for the high resolution MJPEG files from the Maxi? I have gotten VLC media player to work at playing the files but it's a pain to play multiple files and it can't zoom in on parts of the video, let alone save clips, etc.

I purchased a Mobius Maxi a couple of weeks ago and so far like it a LOT, except for one issue. For the life of me, I could not get the videos to work / play in RegistratorViewer. After a bit of digging I realized it has a problem with the MJPEG files that are produced when recording in the higher resolutions on the Maxi. I tried a few codecs to see it I could get it to work but haven't had any luck.

So my question is.... What's the best viewer for the high resolution MJPEG files from the Maxi? I have gotten VLC media player to work at playing the files but it's a pain to play multiple files and it can't zoom in on parts of the video, let alone save clips, etc.

Are you running Windows 10 by any chance? If so, you can use the built-in "Photos" app which allows you to trim, splice and do some basic effects with your dashcam videos. It is not very powerful in the sense that your export settings are simply low, medium and high quality (or source I think?) - rather than more powerful solutions that let you adjust bitrates, codecs and containers manually.

However for the simple task of splicing some clips and encoding the videos to a more shareable file size e.g. for Youtube, it works very well.

Have you tried DashcamViewer? It can play multiple files, zoom in/out and combine files. I don't use it myself, but it does play 2704x1524 Maxi files. Personally I use PotPlayer for reviewing video, and either Avidemux or VSDC for any editing.

Does anyone know if there is a dongle cable you can use for the mobius maxi where you have power in to the device and also microphone input. Going to use it as a dashcam but I want better audio, on the old mobius you could replace the internal microphone if you wanted to. It would be nice if there where two pins inside the unit you could use for a external microphone, and then selecting that with configuration. You would have to do some modification to the unit but that would avoid having to use the usb microphone.

I seem to recall seeing that having a remote mic was part of the reason for the 10-pin USB connection, but they haven't implemented anything extra with that part of the hardware yet. It will be interesting to see what they do with all the possibilities there.

Phil

SawMaster, mmm I do hope they have thought about this. I can understand if a action camera does not have a option for a external microphone but it is still nice to have that option if you intend to use the camera for other things, like a dashcam. On the old mobius you could solder and remove the internal mic and replace it with something else but it does not seem possible with this "maxi" version. USB mic is another solution but I would need some sort of adapter otherwise I can not runt the camera as dashcam. I will use it regardless of that external mic thing as I am in need to a dashcam now and the mobius seems good enough and most of all cheap so I do not have to worry to much about theft.

My maxi has frozen up multiple times while recording requiring a manual reset. When plugged into power it records as it should. After awhile the yellow light stays on without blinking and the red flashing light stays on without blinking. I reset my maxi 5 times in one day. I had to reset it again the next day (today).

frozen maxi.jpg

config file 1.png

config file 2.png

I used the above settings hoping to get better night video. That was a mistake.
These settings should never be used. The video gathered was completely useless even before the cam froze up.

This combination of settings created absolutely horrible footage as anyone can see. I will NOT be using these settings again for obvious reasons.

What is the setting Video OSD (on screen display) used for? Do I have to have it set to on for me to get to webcam mode? I still don't understand how to get to this elusive webcam mode so I can focus my camera in real time. My post #351 &356 didn't get any responses helping me to achieve an understanding how to attach my Maxi to a Monitor, TV, Screen, Computer, etc. so that I can focus my lens in real time because it was received with the lens loose enough that when I twisted the lens cap off the lens turned and ruined the focus. very frustrated. Love the camera though! How do I get these "iCatch Drivers" that the mobius maxi instruction is calling for? the instructions say to plug in and wait for iCatch drivers to install but they never arrive lol, how do you get the iCatch drivers? thanks

Last edited:
What is the setting Video OSD (on screen display) used for? Do I have to have it set to on for me to get to webcam mode?
That parameter toggles an on screen display of camera settings when using the AV out to a TV or monitor.

I still don't understand how to get to this elusive webcam mode so I can focus my camera in real time. My post #351 &356 didn't get any responses helping me to achieve an understanding how to attach my Maxi to a Monitor, TV, Screen, Computer, etc.
I'll connect my Maxi to my TV, then send you a couple of pictures showing how it works.

I used the above settings hoping to get better night video.

This combination of settings created absolutely horrible footage as anyone can see.
Exposure +2.0 is a bit extreme! Have you tried smaller increases to see if night video can be a bit brighter? It's on my list of things to experiment with this camera.

My maxi has frozen up multiple times while recording requiring a manual reset. When plugged into power it records as it should. After awhile the yellow light stays on without blinking and the red flashing light stays on without blinking. I reset my maxi 5 times in one day. I had to reset it again the next day (today).
Sounds like a possible memory card issue. Try reformatting the card. That has helped when mine has frozen before.

View attachment 43083

View attachment 43084

View attachment 43085

I used the above settings hoping to get better night video. That was a mistake.
These settings should never be used. The video gathered was completely useless even before the cam froze up.

This combination of settings created absolutely horrible footage as anyone can see. I will NOT be using these settings again for obvious reasons.

If reformatting the card doesn't work, you might want to try re-seating the ribbon cable from the sensor to the PCB. My Maxi was DOA when I got it and Mobius support had me do that. It fixed the problem but a few weeks later while using the camera as an action cam, it froze up with the red and yellow lights on. Hitting the reset button didn't change the condition. I re-seated the ribbon cable again and the camera has worked perfectly since. I noticed that the battery in my camera sits loose, not attached by double sided tape as in the M1. The battery is pressed up against the fold in the ribbon cable so maybe that puts pressure on the cable connection. Other than this problem, I am very happy the camera so far.

This is much more confusing to me the more and more I look at the cables that came with Maxi and the AV Cables you guys recommend I buy from Amazon or elsewhere and the AV Monitors being sold with male connectors hanging from them .... this is like a Jigsaw puzzle and I cant see how to connect the maxi to a monitor, its funny LOL. sorry to bother you guys but if you look at the cable that came with maxi and the kit I should buy and the way AV Monitors are sold its really not clear how to hook them up, especially that I do not see USB or Mini USB's n the AV Monitors
thanks for your help
This is how to connect the AV cable to the Maxi:
y4msnVWfRZrQTOuE2OfRA3XwVTXO8Vb88cgkJhlDE9p6s-t8JE7EBF9LOJS4QKQUspNCl5mpE2KaC1ZxqGrMHWIHVmIWN5uAy_WgrDzy19CtIL0Z-yNFQCC6tUgSgOiqrsH0b020WzeJ24ONjwDRrnYZJMxRfKlZ2dGnG1Jjl2eAKn3A_ps76r7Abpcws1i_rIJSjsPztywt0vzV6hTDDGNRw

1. For video on your TV, connect the yellow plug to the yellow socket on your TV with a male-male RCA cable
2. If you also want sound on your TV, connect the white plug to the white socket on your TV with a male-male RCA cable.
3. Use the USB plug if you want to power the camera from a 5V DC wall socket or powerbank. You can get video out just using the internal battery.

To refocus the camera, you only need to connect the yellow video cable to your TV.

I will add that in my limited experience, the AV-out resolution is not great for fine-tuning the camera focus. Perhaps it's just how my TV handles the AV input? The forthcoming WiFi app will be better for adjusting focus 'in the field', especially if you do not have a portable AV monitor.

This is how to connect the AV cable to the Maxi:
y4msnVWfRZrQTOuE2OfRA3XwVTXO8Vb88cgkJhlDE9p6s-t8JE7EBF9LOJS4QKQUspNCl5mpE2KaC1ZxqGrMHWIHVmIWN5uAy_WgrDzy19CtIL0Z-yNFQCC6tUgSgOiqrsH0b020WzeJ24ONjwDRrnYZJMxRfKlZ2dGnG1Jjl2eAKn3A_ps76r7Abpcws1i_rIJSjsPztywt0vzV6hTDDGNRw

1. For video on your TV, connect the yellow plug to the yellow socket on your TV with a male-male RCA cable
2. If you also want sound on your TV, connect the white plug to the white socket on your TV with a male-male RCA cable.
3. Use the USB plug if you want to power the camera from a 5V DC wall socket or powerbank. You can get video out just using the internal battery.

To refocus the camera, you only need to connect the yellow video cable to your TV.

I will add that in my limited experience, the AV-out resolution is not great for fine-tuning the camera focus. Perhaps it's just how my TV handles the AV input? The forthcoming WiFi app will be better for adjusting focus 'in the field', especially if you do not have a portable AV monitor.

Hi Tony, Thank you so much for putting this together; this makes it very clear for me now.

I formatted my sd card and swapped to a different sd card. The maxi records but stops working after 1-3 hours. I wondered if the card was full but it started recording again as shown by the blinking lights after being shut off.

I formatted my sd card and swapped to a different sd card. The maxi records but stops working after 1-3 hours. I wondered if the card was full but it started recording again as shown by the blinking lights after being shut off.
Have you swapped to a different brand of SD card? Some card and chipset combinations do not seem to get along well together

I used both kingston and pny cards and it still freezes up. I even reinstalled 1.90 firmware. I could try a samsung evo card before to long.

Samsung EVO are what I use in mine

Back