Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Thanks - I learned something new today :)

I don't think that was intentional in the FW design. I suppose you have to time it just right.
something I noticed today: even if you turn recording off with the shutter button (auto record on power set to on), it will start recording again after a second or two

something I noticed today: even if you turn recording off with the shutter button (auto record on power set to on), it will start recording again after a second or two
I assume that's just during the startup procedure? If it is already recording when you stop it, it does not start again by itself.

I assume that's just during the startup procedure? If it is already recording when you stop it, it does not start again by itself.
no, i clicked the shutter button to stop recording. then it start reccording again "on its own" after a second

no, i clicked the shutter button to stop recording. then it start reccording again "on its own" after a second
I've never seen any Mobius camera do that, nor can I think of a reason why it would do so.

i found that weird as well, it definitely got into standby, a second later i noticed the red back led was blinking again

it is totally possible to start Wifi during startup , even with auto record on. I've been doing that since the first day I got the Maxi
I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm not sure that pressing buttons during the startup sequence is a reliable way to change a camera function, if that is not what the programmer intended. If you have been holding down Mode during startup in an attempt to start WiFi before auto record begins, that could trigger the syscfg read/write process instead with unintended consequences such as the settings changes you have described.

The beta firmware that I have been testing recently has an option to automatically start WiFi when the camera is turned on. Currently this is incompatible with auto record on startup, at least in the FW versions I have seen so far.

Future updates may allow auto record with WiFi on. However, Mobius' FW development time might be better spent on other Maxi functions besides WiFi features.

Yesterday I've tried many times to turn on wifi while in standby mode, and couldn't. The only way currently I'm able to turn it on , is during startup with exact timing for holding the Mode button after the Maxi goes into standby and a second before it starts recording.
Actually I'm also testing the beta firmware and tried Wifi auto on option - couldn't figure out what it's suppose to do. Now it makes sense that it's simply not compatible with auto record on startup.

Yesterday I've tried many times to turn on wifi while in standby mode, and couldn't. The only way currently I'm able to turn it on , is during startup with exact timing for holding the Mode button after the Maxi goes into standby and a second before it starts recording.
Actually I'm also testing the beta firmware and tried Wifi auto on option - couldn't figure out what it's suppose to do. Now it makes sense that it's simply not compatible with auto record on startup.
I believe you are using a newer FW version than me. I have not had time to try it yet.

With auto record on external power set to OFF, and auto WiFi set to ON, the camera will go into standby after starting and WiFi will be on and waiting to connect. You can then start a recording with either the app or the shutter button on the camera. The beta FW now permits WiFi to stay on while recording (with some restrictions).

Hopefully this can be released soon so everyone can try it and give feedback on the new functions.

Last edited:
I believe you are using a newer FW version than me. I have not had time to try it yet.

With auto record on external power set to OFF, and auto WiFi set to ON, the camera will go into standby after starting and WiFi will be on and waiting to connect. You can then start a recording with either the app or the shutter button on the camera. The beta FW now permits WiFi to stay on while recording.

Hopefully this can be released soon so everyone can try it and give feedback on the new functions.

I'm using fw V2.22_20190404
Good to know about the auto Wifi feature.
Wifi on during recording doesn't work for me as well as I'm using 2.7K quality, and get a warning it must disable Wifi during recording, after I click the record button in the app -
I think that's reasonable behavior as the Wifi being on does heat up the Maxi considerably .

Wifi on during recording doesn't work for me as well as I'm using 2.7K quality, and get a warning it must disable Wifi during recording.
Yes, the restriction is that wifi + record supports up to 1080p60, not 2.7k.

Last edited:
I have a situation where the Maxi turns on normally, and then it goes to red (back led) steady on, when it should be recording. When this happens, I can't turn it off, even after disconnecting power cable it only turns off after a couple of seconds - I guess the time the capacitor needs to fully discharge.
Does anyone know what steady red light means?

From what you described it sounds like the firmware has crashed, always harder to determine when there is no display though

A constant rear red LED can mean that WiFi is connected. However if the camera is unresponsive then it does sound like it needs a reset. This can happen when you have beta FW - fixing one thing occasionally affects something else.

So the Maxi keeps crashing on me, no idea why. after 10-15 min recording during drive, it suddenly stopped recording - all leds were off.
I've downgraded to the "stable" 2.11 FW . If it still keeps crashing on me even after it records for sometime, I'm going to ask for replacement / refund

So the Maxi keeps crashing on me, no idea why. after 10-15 min recording during drive, it suddenly stopped recording - all leds were off.
I've downgraded to the "stable" 2.11 FW . If it still keeps crashing on me even after it records for sometime, I'm going to ask for replacement / refund
There could be many reasons why a camera may stop recording after 10-15 minutes, perhaps related to the power supply or the microSD card, or possibly an error in the settings since you have recently changed FW version. Here's a few things to check and eliminate before requesting a refund/replacement:

- Did you reformat the card in-camera?
- Is the card full? Do you have loop recording turned on?
- Have you checked the card with h2testw? Can you try another card?
- Check the battery/capacitor is not loose inside
- Check the power supply. Does the camera behave the same if powered from a phone charger?

There could be many reasons why a camera may stop recording after 10-15 minutes, perhaps related to the power supply or the microSD card, or possibly an error in the settings since you have recently changed FW version. Here's a few things to check and eliminate before requesting a refund/replacement:

- Did you reformat the card in-camera? msetup doesn't support the beta firmwares, so i formatted through the phone
- Is the card full? Do you have loop recording turned on? the card is less than half full. loop recording is on
- Have you checked the card with h2testw? Can you try another card? i've tested it with dd writing 1GB and 2GB files
- Check the battery/capacitor is not loose inside i will but seriously doubt, i've opened it several times, everything looked fine (i'm using a capacitor)
- Check the power supply. Does the camera behave the same if powered from a phone charger? I'm going to connect it directly during next long drive to a new 12V power adapter I just got (Blitzwolf 2.4A) and see if there's any change

thanks for your help

no wonder it's locking up, format the card in the camera
Ok, I've just formatted the card using the app format (EDIT: Mobius Maxi Wifi app format feature)
and plugged it in to record all night (or until the car decides to kill accessories power..)

Last edited:
Back