Mobius Maxi Support Thread

This conversation about potentially "ending badly" has me remembering the time I noticed that the Maxi 2.7K had coffin iconography embedded into the design. I said at the time, "Hope it's not a bad omen.....:vamp:"

Interestingly, the new MM4K has a different design for the heat sink.

Some of us started calling the Maxi the MMCC (the Mobius Maxi Coffin Cam) :smuggrin:

caskets.jpg

Last edited:
This conversation about potentially "ending badly" has me remembering the time I noticed that the Maxi 2.7K had coffin iconography embedded into the design. I said at the time, "Hope it's not a bad omen.....:vamp:"

Interestingly, the new MM4K has a different design for the heat sink.

Some of us started calling the Maxi the MMCC (the Mobius Maxi Coffin Cam) :smuggrin:

View attachment 60107
Yeah, I guess I should have known...... :ROFLMAO:

Could it be battery related?

I just ran my original Maxi on caps 14:51 to 18:11 without one glitch or freeze, and the last file saved nicely....

Your question got me thinking, so I removed the super-capacitor from the dead camera, re-installed the old battery and plugged it in to see what would happen. Much to my amazement, the LED lit up green, blinked a few times and then became a solid green and started charging. I left if charging for a couple of hours until the LED went dark. After that I tried to start the camera up, but no, it is still dead. So the charging circuit still works but nothing else does. :(

Your question got me thinking, so I removed the super-capacitor from the dead camera, re-installed the old battery and plugged it in to see what would happen. Much to my amazement, the LED lit up green, blinked a few times and then became a solid green and started charging. I left if charging for a couple of hours until the LED went dark. After that I tried to start the camera up, but no, it is still dead. So the charging circuit still works but nothing else does. :(
Well at least you tried.....

Hope you're all well folks?

@Dashmellow now you have the camera at least doing something with a full battery have you tried putting the .brn firmware file onto a card to see if it will try and reload it?

Just dropped a copy of the latest Maxi firmware zip file here - https://file.io/Kr8n1MfooBHT

If it doesn't work with the default Mobius filename there is reference in the firmware to this filename also:

SPCA6330.BRN

If it's dead might be worth a go renaming the firmware to the above and trying powering up with that on to see if anything happens maybe as there's a small chance it may try and flash that.

I don't know if @Isoprop is still around as I don't get around forums much these days but if the above don't work maybe there's a method of getting the camera into a recovery mode and using some sort of Sunplus recovery tool to flash it.

@Dashmellow now you have the camera at least doing something with a full battery have you tried putting the .brn firmware file onto a card to see if it will try and reload it?

Just dropped a copy of the latest Maxi firmware zip file here - https://file.io/Kr8n1MfooBHT

If it doesn't work with the default Mobius filename there is reference in the firmware to this filename also:

SPCA6330.BRN

If it's dead might be worth a go renaming the firmware to the above and trying powering up with that on to see if anything happens maybe as there's a small chance it may try and flash that.

I don't know if @Isoprop is still around as I don't get around forums much these days but if the above don't work maybe there's a method of getting the camera into a recovery mode and using some sort of Sunplus recovery tool to flash it.

Welcome back Reverend!

I've been away a long time as well, and it feels good to be back here.....

I'm always amazed at how much better the 5MP varifocal looks on the M1 than the 3MP varifocal, even though the 3MP is not bad at all.

I kinda looked completely over this remark, what 5 MP varifocal lens are you referring to?

I just checked my spare camera drawer and found that I still have one working Maxi. I can't remember when I last used it, however the battery had kept the RTC going all this time.

There is a backdoor recovery method if anyone wants to give it a go. I can send instructions by PM.

There is a backdoor recovery method if anyone wants to give it a go. I can send instructions by PM.
Would that solve any freezing issues as well by any chance?

SPCA6330.BRN

Hi reverend, long time no see!

It seems the link you provided is the same firmware version I already have on hand, and had also downloaded a fresh copy from RCgroups the other day (v2.40) . The problem, as I mentioned, is that even though I was able to charge the battery, the camera is totally DEAD :dead:. It will not mount, it will not do anything. It is a poster child for the word BRICKED, especially because unlike most circumstances where we hear that word the camera is actually shaped like a brick. I've tried various ways to revive it but nothing works.

I've been aware for some time there is potentially a way to revive the camera but I'm not sure it's worth all the trouble. As @TonyM points out it may be possible to restore the unit but it still won't solve the issues. It will surely freeze again repeatedly even if I don't brick it again.

I don't recall when V2.40 was released, but remember the days when we saw regular and ongoing firmware updates with bug fixes, improvements and new features for the M1? Times have changed at Mobius, haven't they?

Last edited:
I don't recall when V2.40 was released, but remember the days when we saw regular and ongoing firmware updates with bug fixes, improvements and new features for the M1? Times have changed at Mobius, haven't they?

my thought exactly. Mobius is suffering from "OnePlus syndrom" - now that we have a dedicated fanbase, we don't need to propely fix bugs, let's just release a newer phone

Almost 1.5yr old and my maxi is shedding it's skin :p . will be having a persuasive rubbing session similar to what I did with my M1.
Fun fact, the inside clips on my maxi got broken when when the internal battery got swollen (never happened to M1, but I guess the battery in the M1 is small?)

Have anyone tried using a 3rd party battery with the maxi?

TBJEmVg.jpg
6XcK3VF.jpg

shedding it's skin
I have that with Mobius one too, as I recall it was due to sweaty hands and maybe a solvent I used sometimes to clean the body from the sweaty stuf....

clips on my maxi got broken
Same here with my Maxi, but not from swollen batts, just broke of, it's very fragile. My mini has that too, it had swollen batts as your Maxi

3rd party battery with the maxi?
Nope, always originals.

These ar my Mobi these days, as you can see I'd like to fiddle around with them, and I like magnets for mounting.....

20220324_133324.jpg

20220324_133339.jpg

Rubber bands to hold the poor basterds together, and the metal clips just the same, as the screwholes got tired....

I also had a Caddx Dolphin once, but it was a big FAIL (some test report elswhere around here), so I disassembled it threw it away and kept a few parts, and but the lens was an F1.2, so you know where that one went.....

20220324_133524.jpg

Results in this theatre soon......

And then there's the Mate808.....

It records in AVI and isn't the best quality, but it was cheap, at intro I bought if for 11 bucs or so, and light as a fly, so ideal for hatcam use. But it has a curved body (bottom as well) and that's not ideal, so I used SUGRU

81sLLybj2RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

to mold and glue the metal plate on the bottom for a flat surface that can be put on a magnet easy peasy. This SUGRU is great, so many uses, check it out on Youtube, lot's of fiddlers there.....

20220324_134646.jpg20220324_134653.jpg

I also took out the original battery, opened the side of the body and put a bigger one in (same V, bigger mAh, I believe from a Foxeer Legend 2).

Yeah, I'm a fiddler alright.....

Almost 1.5yr old and my maxi is shedding it's skin :p . will be having a persuasive rubbing session similar to what I did with my M1.
Fun fact, the inside clips on my maxi got broken when when the internal battery got swollen (never happened to M1, but I guess the battery in the M1 is small?)

Have anyone tried using a 3rd party battery with the maxi?

TBJEmVg.jpg
6XcK3VF.jpg

If you contact eletoponline365 on eBay, they may be able to provide you with a replacement housing for your Maxi 2.7K. Banggood used to sell spare cases for the M1 and the Maxi but I don't see any on stock right now but I know Mobius makes them available.

I think my Maxi still work fine, but it is my Zoom camera and i dont look at its footage all too often.
Perhaps i should pull it and have a look, but visually at least it appear to be fine.

Back