Mobius Maxi Support Thread

In my experience, the most stable setting on the MM with the least number of freezes was "OFF".

:ROFLMAO:

Periodic random freezes were fairly common and then during a firmware update it bricked itself. (My understanding is that most bricked MMs occurred during firmware updates.)

Right, would flashing an older FW be an option to get better results in reliabillity?

Right, would flashing an older FW be an option to get better results in reliabillity?

The problems with the Maxi always seemed to be more hardware related but I don't really know the exact cause. I recall always having to keep a bent paperclip handy for when it froze up. When my camera finally bricked itself I completely gave up on it, so at this point I don't even know if there were later firmware updates. Again, @TonyM would be the expert here.

Hi,
I recently bought the mm4k,
for now I am not having problems

Aaaaa a proper race track, back when race cars was made of wood and the drivers was made of steel, sitting in specially designed seats to be able to accommodate their huge brass balls.
Race car drivers today are a bunch of often overprotected rich father boys, which i care little for.
On the other hand that was good lately as that meant my man K MAG could return to F1 as the American team kicked out the rich father Russian driver.

I don't think there's much difference, if any, between old and new FW in terms of reliability on the Maxi.

Hardware issues such as locking up are unfortunately too common. I stopped using the original Maxi years ago.

Could you elaborate some more or what you mean by "some issues"?
My MM4K capacitor test camera stopped working - it's completely unresponsive. We suspect the problem is power related, since it is a new hardware configuration. It's on its way back to Mobius for inspection. Not much else to say really.

What are the symptoms that manifest from the higher power draw?
I received an error message when I plugged it into my laptop, about the connected device drawing more power than the port could deliver. I've never seen that before.

That leads me to wonder if my 12v-to-USB adapter and long USB-C cable in the car are capable of delivering enough current to the camera.

It's probably best to stop discussing the MM4K in this thread, as it might confuse future casual readers.

I don't think there's much difference, if any, between old and new FW in terms of reliability on the Maxi.

Hardware issues such as locking up are unfortunately too common. I stopped using the original Maxi years ago.

Could it be battery related?

I just ran my original Maxi on caps 14:51 to 18:11 without one glitch or freeze, and the last file saved nicely....

My MM4K capacitor test camera stopped working - it's completely unresponsive. We suspect the problem is power related, since it is a new hardware configuration. It's on its way back to Mobius for inspection. Not much else to say really.

Thanks for your replies Tony. You confirm my experience with the Maxi which one way or another seem to have repeated it with your super-cap MM4K getting bricked. This conversation prompted me to pull my old Maxi from the drawer and charge it up to see what would happen and it is dead as a door nail. It forced me to remember where the expression "bricked" actually comes from.

It is so disappointing that the Mobius product line is in the sorry state it is in, especially for those of us who have been so dedicated to the original platform and patiently looked forward to the new Mobius products to come only to see one promising but flawed new camera after another introduced with serious issues that never get resolved. What I find most discouraging is that Mobius continues to market the flawed Maxi and now the apparently problematic super-cap version of the Maxi 4K without a word to the buying public acknowledging that these problems even exist!

Many people have been reporting bricked Maxi cams for quite a long time now, yet there is no indication that the issue will ever get addressed. Meanwhile @Mobius has no interest in communicating with his customers and after all these years still offers no official customer support. I've never seen a company rely on a very small handful of unpaid volunteers to be their entire public face for the modest product support they can provide.

I speak as someone who altogether has owned at least 10 different Mobius cameras, plus accessories, lens modules, extension cables and spare parts. I don't even want to think about what I've spent here. I still use many of my original M1 cams in a variety of ways and am still a huge fan of the original product. Their performance and reliability is legendary and I had hoped to eventually migrate to the new 4K version even after the bricked Maxi debacle, but there is no way I would buy one at this point in time.

Could it be battery related?

I just ran my original Maxi on caps 14:51 to 18:11 without one glitch or freeze, and the last file saved nicely....

It's interesting that you would say this. I ordered a super-capacitor module for my Maxi but it got bricked after I installed it when I went to update the firmware. Now I just have a bricked Maxi and a useless super-cap module. AFAIK, most reports of bricked Maxis happened when attempting to update firmware with a super-cap module installed.

Last edited:
It's interesting that you would say this. I ordered a super-capacitor module for my Maxi but it got bricked after I installed it when I went to update the firmware. Now I just have a bricked Maxi and a useless super-cap module. AFAIK, most reports of bricked Maxis happened when attempting to update firmware with a super-cap module installed.
So werd this thing.... I'm not doing that then, for sure.....

Thanks for your replies Tony. You confirm my experience with the Maxi which one way or another seem to have repeated it with your super-cap MM4K getting bricked. This conversation prompted me to pull my old Maxi from the drawer and charge it up to see what would happen and it is dead as a door nail. It forced me to remember where the expression "bricked" actually comes from.

It is so disappointing that the Mobius product line is in the sorry state it is in, especially for those of us who have been so dedicated to the original platform and patiently looked forward to the new Mobius products to come only to see one promising but flawed new camera after another introduced with serious issues that never get resolved. What I find most discouraging is that Mobius continues to market the flawed Maxi and now the apparently problematic super-cap version of the Maxi 4K without a word to the buying public acknowledging that these problems even exist!

Many people have been reporting bricked Maxi cams for quite a long time now, yet there is no indication that the issue will ever get addressed. Meanwhile @Mobius has no interest in communicating with his customers and after all these years still offers no official customer support. I've never seen a company rely on a very small handful of unpaid volunteers to be their entire public face for the modest product support they can provide.

I speak as someone who altogether has owned at least 10 different Mobius cameras, plus accessories, lens modules, extension cables and spare parts. I don't even want to think about what I've spent here. I still use many of my original M1 cams in a variety of ways and am still a huge fan of the original product. Their performance and reliability is legendary and I had hoped to eventually migrate to the new 4K version even after the bricked Maxi debacle, but there is no way I would buy one at this point in time.
Well, that cleares that up, no more New Mobii for me.... Oh well, maybe the #32.....

Yeah Yeah I know.....

Well, that cleares that up, no more New Mobii for me.... Oh well, maybe the #32.....

Yeah Yeah I know.....

It's still possible that they will be able to resolve the power draw problem. (not sure if Tony is referring to current or voltage here) The footage I've seen from the MM4K has been impressive. If Mobius can resolve this issue and the camera is stable I would buy one. (That's really what I meant by, "there is no way I would buy one at this point in time".)

The thing for me, and that goes along with what I said in my post is that I've been aware of issues with the MM4K for quite some time but had expected them to be ironed out by now, but this is starting to feel a lot like what happened with the Maxi (and even the M2, except that the M2 proved to be a real disaster).

Last edited:
I still use many of my original M1 cams in a variety of ways and am still a huge fan of the original product. Their performance and reliability is legendary and I had hoped to eventually migrate to the new 4K version even after the bricked Maxi debacle, but there is no way I would buy one at this point in time.
We also use a number of M1 cameras here, around the house and in my car. I no longer have an M2, and haven't used a Maxi for a long time.

I will say that my battery MM4K sample cameras have been extremely reliable, and I'm considering buying one or two for personal use. There is also a new improved backdoor fix that will make recovery much easier should that ever become necessary.

I'm not sure what's happening with the capacitor version. No one else has replicated this failure. The faulty camera has not yet arrived back at Mobius, so I'm not expecting a fix anytime soon.

. If Mobius can resolve this issue and the camera is stable I would buy one.

I would't....

(That's really what I meant by, "there is no way I would buy one at this point in time".

I understood that, but I don't want to be a guineepig (?) anymore... Mobius is't the only one anymore, and by a landslide too...

I know, I really love the Mobius One too, it is still great, and the MM4K concept is great as well, if it's reliable, but I have no use for products released before definite debugging and testing.

We should not be the ones doing that, don't you agree...? Unless we're on their payrol obviously.

And when we complain the makers are friendly, but offer no real solutions, as far as I believe.

I know, I really love the Mobius One too, it is still great, and the MM4K concept is great as well, if it's reliable, but I have no use for products released before definite debugging and testing.

We should not be the ones doing that, don't you agree...? Unless we're on their payrol obviously.

And when we complain the makers are friendly, but offer no real solutions, as far as I believe.

I agree, but "friendly", I'm not so sure. The "maker; who is a member here on DCT has made it clear at this point that he has no real interest in engaging in a dialogue with the most ardent fans and supporters of his products. The contrast with so many other successful camera manufacturers and developers who interact on a variety of levels with customers here on a daily basis is quite remarkable. It's an odd approach to doing business, this business in particular.

Hm, well it's really too bad, it started so good, shame if it were to end badly.

We also use a number of M1 cameras here, around the house and in my car. I no longer have an M2, and haven't used a Maxi for a long time.

I will say that my battery MM4K sample cameras have been extremely reliable, and I'm considering buying one or two for personal use. There is also a new improved backdoor fix that will make recovery much easier should that ever become necessary.

I'm not sure what's happening with the capacitor version. No one else has replicated this failure. The faulty camera has not yet arrived back at Mobius, so I'm not expecting a fix anytime soon.

While I haven't been quite so meticulous at keeping a record as @russ331, my experience with the performance and longevity of the Mobius 1 has been essentially identical over the last eight years or so. That's why I still use them and why the experience with the cameras that have come since has been so disheartening.

Back