Mobius Maxi Support Thread

No, the regular 5 pin cable is all you need. The 10 pin cable will be for as yet unavailable options such as an external microphone or GPS.

So to connect to a GPS/microphone if it's ever available the Mini 5 pin cables already installed will work, information is installed/recorded on the SD card and I just need a 10 pin cable to get that information when plugged into the computer
That right? So both 5 pin and 10 pin connectors are the same size?

Last edited:
So to connect to a GPS/microphone if it's ever available the Mini 5 pin cables already installed will work, information is installed/recorded on the SD card and I just need a 10 pin cable to get that information when plugged into the computer
That right? So both 5 pin and 10 pin connectors are the same size?

Both the 5 pin and 10 pin USB-A to mini-B cables have the same size connectors but have different numbers of pins. The 5 pin cable works for power and data transfer to your computer but you would need the 10 pin cable for a microphone, GPS or other functionality. So if GPS eventually becomes available it would require that you replace your 5 pin cable with the 10 pin but for just installing and using a Maxi in place of a Mobius 1 or M2 you can use your existing cables.

Both cables are essentially the same except that the 10 pin version has an extra row of 5 connector pins above the already existing bottom row of 5 pins.

10pin.jpg

5pin.jpg

Last edited:
@Dashmellow, another thing I wanted to run by you, I was thinking of why wouldn't a cold shoe setup not work well on a Mobius1 / Maxi when used in conjunction with a SmallRig setup like the 1598, (Actually any cmera with a cradle)? I don't have any experience with cold/hot shoes like you, but it seems if they are snug enough they would return to position time after time, making them ideal for those two cameras in particular.
Some models have a small screw that keeps a cold shoe unit from sliding out of its position in the cold shoe, sort of a safety protection. What's your opinion on the idea?

I know you didn't ask me, but in my opinion a cold shoe setup could work well. However the more components you use, the greater chance you will get excessive movement or jello.

I'm considering getting a 1568 plate and sticking two cradles to it for my wide angle and telephoto Mobius cameras. Then I can slide them in and out if I want to.

@Dashmellow, another thing I wanted to run by you, I was thinking of why wouldn't a cold shoe setup not work well on a Mobius1 / Maxi when used in conjunction with a SmallRig setup like the 1598, (Actually any cmera with a cradle)? I don't have any experience with cold/hot shoes like you, but it seems if they are snug enough they would return to position time after time, making them ideal for those two cameras in particular.
Some models have a small screw that keeps a cold shoe unit from sliding out of its position in the cold shoe, sort of a safety protection. What's your opinion on the idea?

It's really interesting that you should mention cold shoes. I was very unhappy with the design of the brass tripod mount on the bottom of the M2, what with the cumbersome tiny screws you needed to use to install and remove it. I tried to come up with an alternative approach and discovered that instead of using the brass T-stand mount supplied with the M2 I could easily install an old camera cold shoe mount on the bottom of the camera. I could then slide the camera on and off of a slightly modified 1/4-20 thread T-stand I had mounted on a tripod. It worked! It could also work with the original brass T-stand.

I was all set to post photos and instructions for this as a DIY project but as the problems with image quality on the M2 got worse and worse instead of better and better I became fed up with the whole thing and simply bagged the idea because the Mobius 2 was just not worth putting effort into an improved quick mounting system when the image quality was so poor as to render the camera essentially useless in my book. If I can find where I put the parts, maybe I'll post some photos of my little slide-in cold shoe mounting system.

Last edited:
That is almost exactly what I am intending to do, except I am using a flat shoe with 1/4 thread where you have the brass T-Mount plate. Possibly I might also use the flat shoe plate or regular shoe on the Mobius 1/4 mount.
Is the T mount using 1/4 thread?

I had most of what I thought I needed in the basket on AliExpress yesterday but they, sorta canceled/changed me out by refusing shipping I had picked unless I picked a ridiculous shipping charge or raising the price of the objects I wanted! I have no idea why they did all this, but it was very obvious and done in a hostel manner :cautious::rolleyes:!

That is almost exactly what I am intending to do, except I am using a flat shoe with 1/4 thread where you have the brass T-Mount plate. Possibly I might also use the flat shoe plate or regular shoe on the Mobius 1/4 mount.
Is the T mount using 1/4 thread?

I had most of what I thought I needed in the basket on AliExpress yesterday but they, sorta canceled/changed me out by refusing shipping I had picked unless I picked a ridiculous shipping charge or raising the price of the objects I wanted! I have no idea why they did all this, but it was very obvious and done in a hostel manner :cautious::rolleyes:!

Yes, the T-stand is a 1/4-20 thread for a standard tripod mount. The brass one is the one that comes with the M2.

There are various sizes and designs available for T-stands. I buy ones like this at my local hardware store.

t-stand.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the T-stand is a 1/4-20 thread for a standard tripod mount. The brass one is the one that comes with the M2.

There are various sizes and designs available for T-stands. I buy ones like this at my local hardware store.

View attachment 39250

The minute you said hardware store, I remembered where I have seen them before, the hardware store:oops:.

I bought a bunch of things from AliExpress yesterday that should make this easy (famous last words). One thing that surprised me was they didn't have the the steel ones like I remember, like the one in your picture. The ones they had are like little square box's, some others are now made so you can tightening them up (side tension screw).
When this stuff all comes in I will let you know what I do.
BTW, the trouble I had there before all stopped when I went back, I believe someone was having a bad day on AliExpress:rolleyes:

Postman dropped off the Maxi at my place today, and at once,,, or rather after charging it i ran into problems.

So connecting it to my PC i saw there was a updated FW, and of course i wanted to go with that, so i DL the 1.86 FW and followed on screen prompts.
But now i have the VID=2AAD - PID=365C problem and cant do settings on it.

Have tried several USB ports and cables.

Last edited:
Postman dropped off the Maxi at my place today, and at once,,, or rather after charging it i ran into problems.

So connecting it to my PC i saw there was a updated FW, and of course i wanted to go with that, so i DL the 1.86 FW and followed on screen prompts.
But now i have the VID=2AAD - PID=365C problem and cant do settings on it.

Have tried several USB ports and cables.
Are you seeing this in mSetup?
1530025276995.png

If so, just tap the shutter button and re-select the camera. Then you should see something like this:
1530025249338.png

The Maxi can only be configured in webcam mode.

Yes i see the top one when it is plugged in, and a window of drive content pop up, in this mode i can update the firmware.
If i press shutter button i get the below picture but here it just say mobi,,,,,, unknown camera type, in this mode i can not update firmware as install button in GUI are "muted" and it say "No camera have been selected"

The camera record fine mode 1 1080/60 - 21 mbit / mode 2 720/120 - 20 mbit

But i just cant get to do any changes with the GUI due to that error.

Have tried camera reset button too.

Yes i see the top one when it is plugged in, and a window of drive content pop up, in this mode i can update the firmware.
If i press shutter button i get the below picture but here it just say mobi,,,,,, unknown camera type, in this mode i can not update firmware as install button in GUI are "muted" and it say "No camera have been selected"

Do you know what FW version is already in the camera?
Can you create a syscfg file by holding down 'M' whilst starting the camera?
Have you updated mSetup to the latest version?

Yeah the hold down M and start are my next thing.

Just do a manual firmware update by copying the file to your root folder. Check the Maxi Manual if you need precise instructions.

SYS cfg =

DateTime= 2018/04/01-12:19 ;date time setting,yyyy/mm/dd-hh:mm
DateTime_Update=0 ;confirm to update the Date/Time or not , 0: No, 1: Yes
DateStyle=0 ;set date format,0:YYYY/MM/DD, 1:MM/DD/YYYY , 2:DD/MM/YYYY
Image_Size=0 ;set image size, 0: 2704x1524, 1: 2048x1536, 2:1600x1200,3:1920x1080,4:1280x960
Image_Quality=2 ;set image Quality, 0: Super Fine 1: Fine 2: Normal
Photo_Osd=1 ;set photo preview OSD, 0:Off, 1:On
Time_Lapse=0 ;set TimeLapse interval, 0: Off, 1: 3sec, 2: 5sec, 3: 10 sec, 4: 30sec, 5: 1min
Time_Lapse_Duration=0 ;set Time Lapse Duration, 0: Unlimited, 1: 5Min, 2: 10Min, 3: 15Min, 4: 20Min, 5: 30Min, 6: 60Min
Driver_Mode=0 ;set shutter delay, 0: Off, 1: 2 Seconds, 2: 10 Seconds, 3: 10 Seconds double exposure
Photo_Burst=0 ;set Photo Burst, 0:Off , 1: 3 photos, 2: 5 photos, 3: 10 photos
Video_Size1=3 ;set Video1 Size,0:3840x2160(24fps),1:2704x1524(30fps),2:1920x1440(30fps),3:FHD(60fps),4:FHD(50fps),5:FHD(48fps),6:FHD(30fps),7:FHD(25fps),8:FHD(24fps),9:HD(120fps),10:HD(100fps), 11:HD(60fps),12:HD(50fps),13:848x480(240fps)
Video_Size2=9 ;set Video2 Size,0:3840x2160(24fps),1:2704x1524(30fps),2:1920x1440(30fps),3:FHD(60fps),4:FHD(50fps),5:FHD(48fps),6:FHD(30fps),7:FHD(25fps),8:FHD(24fps),9:HD(120fps),10:HD(100fps), 11:HD(60fps),12:HD(50fps),13:848x480(240fps)
FOV=0 ;set Field of view, 0:Wide FOV, 1:Narrow FOV
Video_Quality=1 ;set VideoQuality, 0:Super Fine, 1:Fine, 2:Normal, 3:Extreme(Warning: may have some dropped frames for some memory cards or other issues if set to Extremely High Bitrate.)
Media_Format=1 ;set Media Format, 0: MOV, 1: MP4
Sharpness=2 ;set Sharpness, 0:Super Hard, 1:Hard, 2:Normal, 3:Soft, 4:Super Soft
Saturation=6 ;set Saturation bias, 0:-6, 1:-5, 2:-4, 3:-3, 4:-2, 5:-1, 6:0, 7:1, 8:2, 9:3, 10:4, 11:5, 12:6
AE_Metering=1 ;set AEMetering method, 0: Center area, 1: Multi spot, 2: Center spot, 3: Top, 4: Bottom
Exposure=6 ;set Exposure bias, 0:-2, 1:-1.66, 2:-1.33, 3:-1.0, 4:-0.66, 5:-0.33, 6:0, 7:0.33, 8:0.66, 9:1.0, 10:1.33, 11:1.66, 12:2.0
Movie_Voice=2 ;set recording voice, 0: Off, 1: Low, 2: Normal, 3: High
Ext_Mic=0 ;set extern micphone, 0: Off, 1: On
Stabilizer=0 ;set stabilizer, 0: off, 1: on
Loop_Record=0 ;set loop record, 0: Off, 1: On
Recording_LED=1 ;set recording LED, 0: Off, 1: On
Clip_Length=1 ;set clip length, 0: 1 Min, 1: 3 Min, 2: 5 Min, 3: 10 Min, 4:15 Min, 5: Max to 4G
Invert_Mode=0 ;set sensor Flip, 0: Off, 1: On
Auto_Flip=0 ;set auto flip on/off, 0: Off, 1: On
G_Sensor=0 ;set gsensor sensitivity, 0: Off, 1: Low, 2: Medium, 3: High
White_Balance=0 ;set white balance mode, 0: AWB, 1: Daylight, 2: Cloudy, 3: Tungsten, 4:Fluor
AE/AWB_Lock=0 ;set AE/AWB lock(quick press power button to set locks), 0: AE/AWB lock off, 1: Both AE/AWB, 2: Only AE, 3: Only AWB
Video_Osd=1 ;set video preview OSD, 0: Off, 1: On
Motion_Detect=0 ;set Motion Detect, 0: Off, 1: On
MD_Sensitivity=0 ;set Motion Detect Sensitivity, 0:High, 1:Normal, 2:Low
MD_Timeout=2 ;set Motion Detect Record time, 0:5s, 1:15s, 2:30s, 3:60s, 4:3Minutes, 5:5Minutes
pwn_auto_rec=0 ;set Auto Record with external power, 0: Off, 1: On
TV_Full_Screen=0 ;set Full Screen On/Off, 0: Off, 1: On

I already tried that DM, looked to take just fine too.

I was expecting that too, so no idea why the GUI said a new FW was available, and then reading in it that it was release FW.

Anyway i proceeded to flash the camera, and that should be fine too i recon.

it is strange mine just say mobiu,,,, and then unknown camera, where yours say mobius maxi ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mobius maxi action cam

Back