Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Yes, you can prevent mSetup from disconnecting the camera after setting the parameters. The setting will then apply to the #16, M1 and M2.

1. Click the 'Tools' button.
2. Click 'Advanced Settings'.
3. Under 'Safely Remove Device after setting parameters' to 'No'.
4. Click 'OK'
5. Back on the 'Tools' dialog, click 'Exit'.

if you set it like this will formatting the camera through Msetup still cause it to disconnect?

Is the mov format better or mp4 for this cam?

In win7, one of the port doesn't recognise the maxi, doesn't have the usb connected sound.
When I press mode it cycles through all the colours but nothing happens.
But when I press shutter, it starts recording, then press shutter again, it stops and computer now starts showing usb mass storage folder.

Why is it like that? On this same usb port, mobius 1 is ok.

If I use the maxi on another usb port, it gets detected and start usb mass storage straight away.

1)Have an option to have LED indicator turns off after blinking for 10 secs. No matter which mode or function, led works for 10secs only until any button is pressed again.
2)Make the beep even softer?

if you set it like this will formatting the camera through Msetup still cause it to disconnect?
For the Mini and Maxi formatting the card with mSetup will never disconnect the camera because it is in USB video mode so isn't connected as removable storage anyway.

I don't have access to any of the other cameras at the moment so the following is from memory:
For the M1, M2 and #16 formatting the card will always logically disconnect the camera but you don't need to physically disconnect and then reconnect the camera. All that is needed is to press the camera's Power button, I think twice, once to turn it off and a second time to turn it on again. You can also use this trick when setting the parameters instead of specifically configuring the program not to Safely Remove Device.
Like I mentioned, this is all from memory and I'm not 100% sure the trick will work when formatting the card. It will definitely work when setting the parameters. Maybe you could try it?

For the Mini and Maxi formatting the card with mSetup will never disconnect the camera because it is in USB video mode so isn't connected as removable storage anyway.

I don't have access to any of the other cameras at the moment so the following is from memory:
For the M1, M2 and #16 formatting the card will always logically disconnect the camera but you don't need to physically disconnect and then reconnect the camera. All that is needed is to press the camera's Power button, I think twice, once to turn it off and a second time to turn it on again. You can also use this trick when setting the parameters instead of specifically configuring the program not to Safely Remove Device.
Like I mentioned, this is all from memory and I'm not 100% sure the trick will work when formatting the card. It will definitely work when setting the parameters. Maybe you could try it?

ok thanks, will have a look next time I'm using one of them, Mini I don't have, only have the M1, M2 and Maxi

check this out, seems there is a (?) new FW on rcgroups
"...
MOBIUS_MAXI_V1.90

1. Added recording LED indicator option. Now has Both Off, Rear Only On, Front Only On, Both On

2. Fixed bug affecting 2.7k video playback via the TV Out connection

3. Eliminated slight green hue in Auto WB default setting

4. Improved reliability of dashcam use with external auto power-on recording where momentary interruption of power occurs during engine starting.

5. Fixed bug that prevented normal motion detect recording from starting when auto external power-on recording started....

I charged the maxi via usb and the ring led turns off when fully charged but when I did the same with with ac adapter it stays charging after more than 3 hours...

Yesterday I tried recording for hours at something stationery,
after reaching the 3.97GB limit, upon starting a new clip, WB at the centre of frame will flickr.
This is true for every new clip.

And in one of the clips there is weird lines.

image stabilizer: off
loop recording: off
resolution: 2.7k, 30fps
video quality: extreme fine
microsd: sandisk extreme
Firmware: 1.90

Last edited:
These 2 are the worst from today's recording.
Proof that it flickers at the start of the clip.

https://ufile.io/q16b7
https://ufile.io/z3xdy
*valid for 30days.

image stabilizer: off
loop recording: off
resolution: 2.7k, 30fps
video quality: extreme fine
microsd: sandisk extreme
Firmware: 1.90
Ring Led off, back red led working only.

*Original file format was in mp4, but the video cutter can't output it in mp4, so these files are in AVI now.

Last edited:
Please excuse the temporary name, I intended to lurk, but ended up buying a Maxi myself.

It just came through the post and I managed to set it up fine. The thing is even tinier than I imagined! One of the first things I noticed is how mSetup includes a setting for external microphone - does this mean that feature is available now? I've seen posts and forum threads talk about wanting that feature, but none of them with an example of how to use it yet.

Secondly, I wonder if anyone more familiar with the circuit board design could help me here. I intend to wire up some push buttons outside of the case. Perhaps a stupid question, but which two out of the four legs of the surface mount buttons on the PCB do I need to solder to? If anyone knows then that would save me the headache of probing with a multi-meter on this tiny tiny board.

Cheers.

Secondly, I wonder if anyone more familiar with the circuit board design could help me here. I intend to wire up some push buttons outside of the case. Perhaps a stupid question, but which two out of the four legs of the surface mount buttons on the PCB do I need to solder to? If anyone knows then that would save me the headache of probing with a multi-meter on this tiny tiny board.

In case it helps anyone, I went ahead and got my multimeter out and it looks like the legs closest to each other are connected and disconnected when pressing the button. There are two pairs, one on each side, and they are both normally open contacts.

Please excuse the temporary name, I intended to lurk, but ended up buying a Maxi myself.

It just came through the post and I managed to set it up fine. The thing is even tinier than I imagined! One of the first things I noticed is how mSetup includes a setting for external microphone - does this mean that feature is available now? I've seen posts and forum threads talk about wanting that feature, but none of them with an example of how to use it yet.

Cheers.

In case it helps anyone, I went ahead and got my multimeter out and it looks like the legs closest to each other are connected and disconnected when pressing the button. There are two pairs, one on each side, and they are both normally open contacts.

The Maxi's basic functions such as charging, connecting to a computer to transfer data, or for use with mSetup work with a standard 5 pin USB-A to mini-B cable. The Maxi is also capable of connecting via a 10 pin USB cable which is intended for other (future) functionality such as an external microphone. It may well be that you can perform any DIY mods you might want such as controlling the camera externally or adding an external microphone by using a modified 10 pin cable rather than soldering anything to the micro switches or other connections on the PCB.

EDIT: Thought this may interest you. Although it was done with the original Mobius 1 camera, several years ago a member installed a remote mode switch by doing exactly what you propose with the idea of soldering directly to the switch on the board.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-remote-mode-button.3880/#post-45315

Last edited:
The Maxi's basic functions such as charging, connecting to a computer to transfer data, or for use with mSetup work with a standard 5 pin USB-A to mini-B cable. The Maxi is also capable of connecting via a 10 pin USB cable which is intended for other (future) functionality such as an external microphone. It may well be that you can perform any DIY mods you might want such as controlling the camera externally or adding an external microphone by using a modified 10 pin cable rather than soldering anything to the micro switches or other connections on the PCB.

EDIT: Thought this may interest you. Although it was done with the original Mobius 1 camera, several years ago a member installed a remote mode switch by doing exactly what you propose with the idea of soldering directly to the switch on the board.

Thanks for the link but I did see that thread before, and it probably gave me the idea to do the same thing. For me it's not so much about camera shake or anything, but more about accessibility. I am mounting my Maxi inside the rain sensor housing and as such I can't access the buttons. I will be "panel mounting" some buttons elsewhere in the car in a subtle but accessible way. I've gone ahead and soldered the wires on and applied some Sugru as stress relief (it's was very fragile). Doesn't look great but it works well. Also added a heat sink since it will be mounted outside of its case.

image1.JPG

I've also got the lens mounted in the cover using some Sugru (which makes it look almost moulded out of one piece from a distance):

image2.JPG

What @TonyM said. The AV wiring harness happens to work with ALL Mobius cameras including the M2, the Mini, the Maxi, the M1 and the #16 key chain cam.
I received the mobius tv out cable set in the mail today. Can I use the included connector designed for the mobius 1 or should I discard that original connector and instead use the one that came with the mobius maxi?

I received the mobius tv out cable set in the mail today. Can I use the included connector designed for the mobius 1 or should I discard that original connector and instead use the one that came with the mobius maxi?
I would use the one that came with the Maxi.

Hoping someone would create a filter that can remove fisheye from b lens, so nice to use at night.

When set to Auto rotate image, the image turns purple. Two examples below.
Firmware:1.90
Image stabilizer off
File type mov
2.7K, super fine.
samsung evo plus, sandisk extreme u3 v30.

HDtVsQG.gif

HDtWya0.gif

Last edited:
When using power on auto record, mobius maxi refuse to do that.
Using power socket. both mobius 1 and maxi works.
Using an AA battery usb power bank, mobius 1 works while maxi does not.

Readings from charger doctor:
M1
socket: 5.09V max, 0.28A max
aa power bank: 4.97V max, 0.30A max

Maxi
socket: 5.04V max, 0.29A max
aa power bank: starts, ring lights up but does not record, anyone knows why? Only when I press record button then it starts recording.

Did these without capacitor or battery installed.
Tried the maxi with battery installed, same outcome.
AA battery power bank uses both akaline and rechargeable batteries.
Same outcome with 18650 power bank.

Since it only turns on, can only use motion detection to trigger the maxi.

Last edited:
Anyone with some more in-depth knowledge regarding the Mobius cams able to help me out? To keep a long story short, my micro SD extension cable bent 3 pins inside the micro SD card slot on the PCB. I ended up having to solder a new slot onto the board, but it still doesn't recognise any cards.

I have checked continuity through the new slot and found no issues. I can read 3.3V from the VDD pin. There are no visible solder bridges or dodgy connections under a microscope.

At this point I have de-soldered the slot off again and discarded it thinking it might have superglue on one of the pins. I've cleaned up the PCB and no traces/pads are missing as far as I can see.

Any idea what I could possibly do to check if the PCB itself is damaged while I wait on new slots to arrive? I unfortunately don't have access to a scope.

Back