Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Due to working from home I've not driven a car for at least 8 weeks. I do however take an occasional bike ride with my kids, so I've been experimenting with cameras on my bike.

My pannier rack provides a stable and versatile platform for installing cameras, and the small storage bag contains a multi-port USB powerbank for powering multiple cameras (I only have one connected at present - the others run off their internal batteries)
1589667199752.png

My current setup has rear- and side-facing Maxi cameras. The cradles are fixed directly to the metal pannier frame with dual-lock tape.
1589667360589.png

1589667489449.png

The front-facing camera is a GitUp F1 in 1080p mode with image stabilisation ON. It is fixed to a light mounted on my handlebars and suffers from more vibration than the Maxi's which are fixed directly to the bike framework. I like having the side-facing camera since it looks sideways at junctions, and can see cars as they pass me. All cameras are recording at 1080p60.

I've modified my bike camera setup, partly because I've started driving again so one camera is going back into the car.

The rear-facing Maxi now has a weather sleeve to offer some protection from rain and dust. There is a hole on the underside that is just the right width for a strip of 3M dual-lock tape, so I can fix the camera directly to my bike frame. There is not enough space inside the case for the Maxi mounting cradle.

1591566444792.png
1591566567895.png

There are no cut-outs on the rear of the case for the mini-USB port or the microSD card slot, so I'm running the camera on battery power. It is easy to lift up the back of the case to access the port and slot as required when indoors.
1591568002236.png

The sleeve does affect the recorded audio, mostly reducing the volume of high-pitched sounds such as those from the bike moving parts, and also me talking. It can still pick up the sound of passing cars. Obviously the heatsink is covered - I have not yet recorded for long enough in warm conditions to know if this is an issue for an external-mounted camera.

The circle indicator light is visible through a transparent ring in the case, although it is not as bright as looking at the camera directly. The rear red indicator light is not visible, so I keep the ring indicator on to show when it is recording. The buttons are fairly easy to press through the case.

Last edited:
Bought me some guineepigs to silence the wind.... still need to test, can't ride just yet, cause 4 weeks ago I fell from the truck's trailer, some guy lowered the loader without telling me, jack@ss... right leg completely brused and hematoma'd.... still can't comfortably walk.... one week later I had an operation for removal of infected galblatter, 2 days later again, to get all the infections out...... so, that cleares up my abscence the last 4-5 weeks....

20200625_182404.jpg
20200625_182529.jpg
20200625_182814.jpg

I think the guinea pigs are a success, but they still need a haircut..... :ROFLMAO:

(PS it is recorded with the F1 Gitup, the Maxi comes here-after, but in general the sound isn't as good from the Maxi....)

Yeah, I'm a happy Dicky...... Hahaha... and finaly after 4 week on the horses again.... All 120 of them.... (y)

I’m having a problem I faced long ago with my maxi.

i have a honda civic and it has a ignition then push to start button. My maxi is hardwired to a ignition fuse and has a supercap. I note that sometimes I will turn to ignition, wait a bit before starting the engine by pressing the button. Thus the cMera won’t record.

the settings I have is

power off standby: off

autorecord external power: on

power off disconnect: 10 secs (putting to immediate makes it never record anything).

can someone recommend the correct dashcam maxi settings?

power off disconnect: 10 secs
10 seconds is probably too long for the capacitor

I use 2 seconds to overcome any short interruption in the power supply

IIRC (which I may not be doing) someone has mentioned that caps give roughly 4 seconds of usable power to a cam, which is about twice what they generally need to shut down correctly. If you're having last-file-corruption issues it could be your card has slowed down or is about to die. Try the shorter settings first, then if no improvement try them with a different known good card.

Phil

10 seconds is probably too long for the capacitor

I use 2 seconds to overcome any short interruption in the power supply
So I tried a different card (32GB vs the small one I had before). Records perfectly at 3 min clips, not missing any footage yet. This is with 10s power of disconnect. As I understand this means the camera turns of 10 seconds after loss of power,but obviously with the super cap it turns off before then.

Anyway I hesitate to mess with the settings now as it's such a ball ache to get right.

Good afternoon!

I need a small, discreet camera to ride my bike. The recording is for safety during my walks, to identify the car in an accident.

My rides last between 2 and 6 hours, 15 hours a week. With a powerbank and loop recording can be valid mobius maxi?

I only use the bike by day and in dry weather.

Can mobius maxi survive several years?
Does mobius maxi have malfunctions? Overheating? cuts in the recording?

Excuse me, but I'm a rookie.

Good afternoon!

I need a small, discreet camera to ride my bike. The recording is for safety during my walks, to identify the car in an accident.

My rides last between 2 and 6 hours, 15 hours a week. With a powerbank and loop recording can be valid mobius maxi?

I only use the bike by day and in dry weather.

Can mobius maxi survive several years?
Does mobius maxi have malfunctions? Overheating? cuts in the recording?

Excuse me, but I'm a rookie.

Yes, a Mobius would be an excellent candidate for your needs. They are very reliable but the original Mobius is far more reliable than the Mobius Maxi.

I have several original Mobius 1 cameras that have been in daily service for at least 6 years or more.

Last edited:
Yes, a Mobius would be an excellent candidate for your needs. They are very reliable but the original Mobius is far more reliable than the Mobius Maxi.

I have several original Mobius 1 cameras than have been in daily service for at least 5 years or more.

Thank you for your ultra-fast response.

The optimal recording resolution to use I think is 1080 60fps.

Do you recommend mobius 1 over mobius maxi for my use?

Does the mobius 1 have enough quality to identify vehicles?

Where can I buy at the best price? Aliexpress, ebay...?

Thank you for your ultra-fast response.

The optimal recording resolution to use I think is 1080 60fps.

Do you recommend mobius 1 over mobius maxi for my use?

Does the mobius 1 have enough quality to identify vehicles?

Where can I buy at the best price? Aliexpress, ebay...?

Yes, the Mobius will do an excellent job capturing vehicles, license plates and other object during daylight hours. They are not as good as other cameras at night since their sensors are of older vintage. But since you are on a bike during the daytime that should not be a problem.

I would highly recommend purchasing on eBay from either Eletoponline365 or digitalele889. Both are direct authorized seller outlets from Mobius, the manufacturer and they will offer the best prices and excellent customer service.

I would recommend spending some time reviewing some of the many Mobius threads here on DCT, for both the newer Maxi and original Mobius before deciding which one to buy. You'll find much discussion, information many video examples that will help inform your decision.

At this point I prefer the Mobius 1 personally but the Maxi may suit your needs as well and it has some features and higher resolution that the original Mobius doesn't.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot, the Mobius cameras are available with different lenses with different focal lengths. (wide or narrower FOV) Make sure to study up a bit about the different lenses before deciding which one is for you.

Yes, the Mobius will do an excellent job capturing vehicles, license plates and other object during daylight hours. They are not as good as other cameras at night since their sensors are of older vintage. But since you are on a bike during the daytime that should not be a problem.

I would highly recommend purchasing on eBay from either Eletoponline365 or digitalele889. Both are direct authorized seller outlets from Mobius, the manufacturer and they will offer the best prices and excellent customer service.

I would recommend spending some time reviewing some of the many Mobius threads here on DCT, for both the newer Maxi and original Mobius before deciding which one to buy. You'll find much discussion, information many video examples that will help inform your decision.

At this point I prefer the Mobius 1 personally but the Maxi may suit your needs as well and it has some features and higher resolution that the original Mobius doesn't.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot, the Mobius cameras are available with different lenses with different focal lengths. (wide or narrower FOV) Make sure to study up a bit about the different lenses before deciding which one is for you.

thank you for your help.

The truth is that I have no knowledge of lenses, I do not know what their advantages or disadvantages are.

Seeing the features of mobius maxi, it seems the clear winner (more resolution,more fps, newer), excuse me but I do not understand why you prefer mobius 1.

There is also the mobius mini, I do not know if it will be recommended for my needs.

Back