Mobius mounting solutions

you can also create few notches with a knife on the nut cover so you will have more grip and you will be able to adjust it.

and i'm waiting to see the lens cover!!

When you put the magnetic plate inside, did you remove the protective sticker to adhere it? Or, did you do nothing and simply placed it inside? I'm trying to figure out how you can stick it inside. You can't, right? The side with the sticky glue would stick to the electrical components, wouldn't it? Or, does the magnet still work on the adhesive side? Which means you can stick it to the cover. Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. LOL!

Lastly, couldn't you stick it on the outside of the Mobius?

The magnet actually works on both sides, so I suck it to the inside of the case. But it wouldn't matter as its pretty tight in there, even with a supercap, the size of the magnetic plate means it wont move around and wont be far from the surface of the plate even if you didn't stick it down.

I didn't want it on the outside for aesthetics, but no reason why you couldn't stick it on the outside assuming the sticky pad will take to the Mobius material, as its a slippery rubber. I previously tried to attach Velcro to it and the sticky side wouldn't take. Its not much effort to pop it inside to be honest.

MrM, you can use sandpaper to remove a little of the rubber coating.

Nir is spot on about the sandpaper. I sanded the Möbius mount to remove the same rubber finished. Then used epoxy resin to attach neobydium magnets to it.

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a Mobius and was looking for some ideas for a good stealth installation. I've found here some pretty neat solutions and I think I'll make a mix with all of them. As soon as I receive all the items I'm waiting for (a capacitor, the wide angle lens, the 12V to 5V conversor...) I'll try to make a good stealth installation and post pics here.

This review was left by me. Having decided the best viewpoint for the Mobius would be in the centre of the windscreen behind the mirror, the search for a mount began. I had been looking for a convenient one for a while, considering many different options. In short I wanted a mount that was adjustable so that I could ensure the Mobius was perfectly horizontal, and preferred a ball and socket type joint, so that you can tilt the Mobius vertically to optimise the view on the road. Furthermore I wanted something as small as possible, so I could tuck the Mobius right behind the mirror, that had a small footprint on the windscreen glass to make it discrete as possible. I plan to keep the Mobius in the car at all times, so fast removal not essential but a bonus.

When searching for a mount I came across this Scosche dash mount and it looked exactly what I was after. They come in 3 varieties, fixed angle with 3M pad (parallel to mounting surface), gooseneck, and ball and socket mount with a 3M pad, which is the one I opted for and linked to above. The business end is a magnetic surface that measures approx. 40mm square (I don't have it with me to measure), in any case its slightly wider than the Mobius is, but not by much. The mount is supplied with 2 magnetic plates, again, I don't have them to hand, the smaller of the two is slightly smaller than the magnetic surface of the mount, the larger would probably cover 60% or so of the back of an iPhone. They have an adhesive surface on the the side that doesn't face the mount, so you can permanently attach it to your device, or you can simply slip it between your device and case for a less permanent solution. As a mount for a phone I think it would work well, with the only negative being the magnet on the phone/case interfering with the compass function of the phone.

The good news is that the smaller of the magnetic plates fits inside the Mobius! I opened the case up to fit a supercap and put the plate in at the same time, under the case (non heatsink side of course). The magnetic plate is at no risk of damaging the flash memory. The result is the Mobius attaches to the magnetic surface like a dream, its a very secure and wont move unless you want it to, but yet easily removable if required. The ball and socket gives ample adjustment for all the angles you would realistically want for a windscreen. The only thing to bear in mind is you cannot position the Mobius to be perpendicular to the base of the mount (where the 3 M pad is). So you would not be able to mount the 3M pad of dashmount on a vertical surface and achieve horizontal positioning of the Mobius. One other point to note is the 3M pad supplied is a light to mid grey colour, so will be visible from outside when stuck to the windscreen glass. This annoyed me, so I replaced it with some double sided black tape I bought from Maplins, so it is now harder to see.

To cap it off, I bought a little Motorola right angle mini usb adapter from Amazon to take the cable away from the Mobius, so as to have better access to the memory card slot. A USB cable completes the hardwire into the car.

I will post a few pics up when I can.

In summary, yes its a little pricey, cheapest seems to be £16 from Amazon. Its a great product and partners the Mobius really well in my opinion.

Big fan of this solution. I noticed you mentioned the supplied 3M sticky pad is grey. What is the 3M pad equivalent I should buy that is black? I looked at amazon and the choices were confusing.

I'm also contemplating about buying this

and wrap the legs around something. No tape, nothing permanent.

Thanks for the reply.

The pad that ships with it is what I would call light grey. I forked out for some 3m tape which was described as "dark grey", which I would describe as mid grey at best, so no good. I ended up getting some double black sided tape from Maplins (not sure if you are UK based or not?) which comes in a roll and is pretty inexpensive. It's not overly wide, so I put three stripes on to cover the mounting area and trimmed round the edge with a Stanley knife.

I'm sure any decent motoring shop will sell black double sided tape.

Its not invisible, but a lot more subtle than the original pad.

I have bought a helmet strap to get my hands on the ultra shallow mount a few posts back. I like it, but the quick release mechanism isn't overly easy to operate and tucked up behind my rear view mirror access would be pretty tricky.

It's becoming clearer that solutions per car may differ due to windscreen angle, rear view mirror size and so on

MRM, I'm surprised this solution hasn't been discussed more often here. I think it's the best. I went with your recommendation for my mobius. However, out here in Southern California, unfortunately it will not survive the heat. It has fallen off several times now. The sticker remains on the windshield. So the issue is that it's not bonding with the bendy mounting plate. Because the plate has perforated lines that essentially allows you to bend it in three sections, I decided to bend them and wrapped them around the rearview mirror handle bar. I then tightened it with some black zip ties. It's been great and very stable. I'm working on making it more elegant. I have an idea, when I'm done, I'll post some pictures.

MRM, I'm surprised this solution hasn't been discussed more often here. I think it's the best. I went with your recommendation for my mobius. However, out here in Southern California, unfortunately it will not survive the heat. It has fallen off several times now. The sticker remains on the windshield. So the issue is that it's not bonding with the bendy mounting plate. Because the plate has perforated lines that essentially allows you to bend it in three sections, I decided to bend them and wrapped them around the rearview mirror handle bar. I then tightened it with some black zip ties. It's been great and very stable. I'm working on making it more elegant. I have an idea, when I'm done, I'll post some pictures.

Hey, do you mind taking a picture of that? I also have doubts about sticking the mount to the windshield. I live in Canada and in Winter it could be -30C and in the summer 30+C. I think strapping it to the mirror is safer.

I'll also go to the hardware store this week and see if they have some heavy duty black doublesided tape.

Thanks for the feedback. The climate in the UK certainly isn't that extreme, so I can't say I have or will likely suffer the same conditions as consistently.

I'm guessing there must be a high performance tape that will do the trick? One thing I bought but have not yet used is a product called sugru which I believe will bond plastic and glass. You could mould a blob on the mount and stick it to the glass.

Good luck with finding a solution and glad you like the magnet.

Best,

Thanks for the feedback. The climate in the UK certainly isn't that extreme, so I can't say I have or will likely suffer the same conditions as consistently.

I'm guessing there must be a high performance tape that will do the trick? One thing I bought but have not yet used is a product called sugru which I believe will bond plastic and glass. You could mould a blob on the mount and stick it to the glass.

Best,

Never heard of Sugru. Just watched a few youtube videos on it. It says it's resistant to -50 to +180 Celsius. If that's true, that should take care of the car heat issue. You just keep introducing me to great stuff. :)

Best,

MrM Your solution with the Scosche mount is so neat and discreet. Really happy with my installation yesterday - Like you mentioned in an earlier post, it's almost as if it was designed for the Mobius. Thanks for sharing the idea....

Oh, by the way I used a replacement (black) adhesive pad I found on Amazon. 8 for less than £2 with free delivery - BARGAIN! They are ideal and pre-cut to almost the same size at the Scosche mounting plate. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00E9VS2NS

Again, really pleased you JohnS, glad you find it a tidy solution. As you said it's almost like the smaller magnetic plate was made for the mobius. Having ordered the helmet strap and mount, I can't lie, that mount is slimmer line, no question. So you might be able to mount it closer to the top of the windscreen than you would the Scosche and thus it's less obvious from the outside.

Where it loses out is the ease of angle adjustment, neat footprint, the helmet mount has quite a large clumsy base. Most of all it loses out in ease of removing. With the magnet it's extremely easy to remove should you wish to or need to.

I also use a scosche mount to hold my phone in place in the car now. Superb solution in my opinion.

Moctoddct, check out sugru, I've read rave reviews but not got round to using it yet. People have made a mount out of sugru alone, I'm just not sure how neat and tidy it would look. But a blob to do what you are looking for would be perfect I imagine. I would just make sure you clean the windscreen with some IPA or similar alcohol based cleaner before applying.

Hope it works out.

Again, really pleased you JohnS, glad you find it a tidy solution. As you said it's almost like the smaller magnetic plate was made for the mobius. Having ordered the helmet strap and mount, I can't lie, that mount is slimmer line, no question. So you might be able to mount it closer to the top of the windscreen than you would the Scosche and thus it's less obvious from the outside.

Where it loses out is the ease of angle adjustment, neat footprint, the helmet mount has quite a large clumsy base. Most of all it loses out in ease of removing. With the magnet it's extremely easy to remove should you wish to or need to.

I also use a scosche mount to hold my phone in place in the car now. Superb solution in my opinion.

Moctoddct, check out sugru, I've read rave reviews but not got round to using it yet. People have made a mount out of sugru alone, I'm just not sure how neat and tidy it would look. But a blob to do what you are looking for would be perfect I imagine. I would just make sure you clean the windscreen with some IPA or similar alcohol based cleaner before applying.

Hope it works out.

MrM, sounds like you are not as enthusiastic about the Scosche... Which helmet strap are you mentioning? I considered also, so which is your preference?

My concern with any magnetic mount as a dashcam it will fly off the mount with any impact....

The helmet strap I'm referring to is the one on the previous page by JakeBlade.

The profile of the mount means the camera can sit further back away from the windscreen making it less visible from the outside. It is also more compact than the Scosche as there is no pivot ball. However, since every car is different, it's somewhat a case of trial and error to see what works best do you. As well documented on the last page, the adjustment bolts of the helmet mount are a little on the bulky side. The plate that mounts to the windscreen is larger than the Scosche and the quick release mechanism is too fiddly for a windscreen mount in my opinion. It's not that easy to fumble around behind a rear view mirror.

I won't be changing my Scosche mount for it. As I said in a previous post, the Scosche would have to take a direct hit from an impact for the camera to be separated from the mount in my opinion. The Mobius doesn't weigh much and I don't think movement would ever be an issue.

Far from simulating an impact, but of it were going to move, I imagine it would do on a bumpy track, so if you're worried maybe test it out.

In any case for me it's the most convenient solution.

Last edited:
MrM Your solution with the Scosche mount is so neat and discreet. Really happy with my installation yesterday - Like you mentioned in an earlier post, it's almost as if it was designed for the Mobius. Thanks for sharing the idea....

Oh, by the way I used a replacement (black) adhesive pad I found on Amazon. 8 for less than £2 with free delivery - BARGAIN! They are ideal and pre-cut to almost the same size at the Scosche mounting plate. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00E9VS2NS

Nice, now I just gotta find something similar on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca (which has significantly less stuff).

Nice, now I just gotta find something similar on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca (which has significantly less stuff).

I decided to use the Sugru. I'll let you know how it goes. Could be an option instead of those rearview pads.

Hope it works out.

MRM, I just sugru-ed my Scosche back on the windshield. We'll see how it works out. If it is indeed temperature resistant as it claims (-50 to +180 Celcius), then this should work, and actually opens the door to a whole new world. I started thinking, you're not limited to the Scosche model. You can buy any miniature ball head, sugru one end to the windshield, remove the 1/4 screw on the ball head plate, and sugru a neodymium magnate disc on the plate. These miniature ball heads usually come with a round plate, so you just need a round thin neodymium magnet. Unless, a neodymium magnate is too strong? How strong is the Scosche magnet? Is there a strength threshold that we shouldn't pass, or it will ruin the gadgets?

These miniature ball heads usually come with a round plate, so you just need a round thin neodymium magnet. Unless, a neodymium magnate is too strong? How strong is the Scosche magnet? Is there a strength threshold that we shouldn't pass, or it will ruin the gadgets?
I have four (4) disc shaped Neodymium magnets glued to the inside of the Mobius case. This will let me attach the Mobius to any metal surface, and so far it haven't interfered with the quality of the video or the functionality of the Mobius.

MRM, I just sugru-ed my Scosche back on the windshield. We'll see how it works out. If it is indeed temperature resistant as it claims (-50 to +180 Celcius), then this should work, and actually opens the door to a whole new world. I started thinking, you're not limited to the Scosche model. You can buy any miniature ball head, sugru one end to the windshield, remove the 1/4 screw on the ball head plate, and sugru a neodymium magnate disc on the plate. These miniature ball heads usually come with a round plate, so you just need a round thin neodymium magnet. Unless, a neodymium magnate is too strong? How strong is the Scosche magnet? Is there a strength threshold that we shouldn't pass, or it will ruin the gadgets?

Only a week with the Scosche mount... But I assure you (like MrM said) it is not moving. Solid and safe. A great way to hold the Mobius. Quick release and you don't leave behind something ugly.

Back