Mobius mounting solutions

Any idea how to stick the Mobius on a wall without damaging the wall (no holes, no spots) ?

I tried Patafix but it do not stick well and have to "press" and "heat" it a lot.

You can try "Command Strips" from 3M - they are removable and hold up pictures to the wall etc. Work better than standard double sided foam pads.

I like the Command Strip idea. Also, a good sized wad of Blu-Tack can work very well in situations like this. I've used it in the past to securely hold a video camcorder to a car dashboard and to afix a Mobius to other surfaces. It's useful for temporary non-destructive installations like in rental vehicles.

All ready to go in the car and wire up the 12V/5V power connector.

Mobius is easily removed and is held securely with a pair of rare earth magnets (one hot glued to the heatsink, the other on the shell of the mirror). Its all very secure, no rattles or anything.
Hole put in for the microphone which matched up lovely.

Access to the memory card is also easy now. The Mini mirror has rear "colourful" shells you can buy which I happened to have a spare one. Redone in carbon 3M stuff, not brilliant but only thing I had in black. Shell simply slips off and there is a access hole to the memory card and USB port if desired.

Whole thing is then wired via a single JST connector to the 12/5 power supply which will remain in the car, simply twist off the mirror, disconnect and can take it out the car in about 10 seconds.

Hot glue on the heatsink?

Yes.
Hot glue melts at 100-120 degrees C.
Mobius is less than half that under load at the standard heatsink.
If it fails then I will just use a little two part epoxy instead.

what about cooling?
i think you need some air circulation on the chip and PCB

what about cooling?
i think you need some air circulation on the chip and PCB

AFAIK the camera works fine when its in its standard case, which has no air circulation on the chips or PCB and also works well in the underwater proof case. The later being even smaller and air/water tight.

Still waiting on mounting it - or rather the power source. I originally tapped into the clock 12V switched but there's not enough power to do both at the same time. Going to run a dedicated cable using a tap-a-fuse which is probably a better idea to be honest.

AFAIK the camera works fine when its in its standard case, which has no air circulation on the chips or PCB and also works well in the underwater proof case. The later being even smaller and air/water tight.

Still waiting on mounting it - or rather the power source. I originally tapped into the clock 12V switched but there's not enough power to do both at the same time. Going to run a dedicated cable using a tap-a-fuse which is probably a better idea to be honest.

The question about whether ventilation and cooling is required here will be answered when the unit is actually mounted in a vehicle on a hot sunny day and running for a few hours.

Last edited:

you don't understand my meaning:
you covered the heatsink with glue so now you will need at least some air circulation for the heatsink "missing"

you covered the heatsink with glue so now you will need at least some air circulation for the heatsink "missing"

I haven't "covered the heatsink in glue" - there is a bit on the top most part of a few fins to hold a magnet in place.

So we have gone from a piece of pressed metal (approx 1mm thick X 30mm X 20mm) of which only about half that is exposed to the outside of the case in standard form
To approx 5mm thick x 40 x 40 exposed minus a 5x2.5mm magnet which is on the tips of the fins, though the vertical parts of those are still exposed.

So yes, I have taken away some of the cooling potential, but at the same time have greatly increased it over standard in the first place by 2 or more times. We could then get into the thermal pads and compound and their spec if you want versus the original cheap stuff.

Plus add in that I live in the UK, we rarely get days of consistently high temperature :)

An alternate would be to drill and tap a couple very small holes to screw things together which would allow the use of a good thermal paste to help heat transfer to the sink. If you went back to using it the way it was originally designed I doubt the lost metal from drilling the holes would matter, especially of you popped in a couple set-screws to fill them flush.

Phil

VW Caddy 2012 Caddy 2.jpg Caddy 1.jpg

Bruuuz, how do you keep the suction cup attached to those patterned circles? My gopro mount wouldn't stay attached.

It's not a suction cup, just a plate with a thread. I used a special tape from Ford, which is used to mount the rear-view mirror.

I've used a spare money clip and some double sided tape, to make a very low profile mount for my rear-facing Mobius.

I had to sand the rubber-like coating off the cradle to get the tape to stick. It is also layered in a wedge shape, to angle the cam downwards a bit.
The clip was bent into shape using a clamp and a rubber mallet, so that it hooks over the ceiling.

Attachments

• rear-cam-1.jpeg
    rear-cam-1.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 163
  • rear-cam-2.jpeg
    rear-cam-2.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 157
  • rear-cam-3.jpeg
    rear-cam-3.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 154
  • rear-cam-4.jpeg
    rear-cam-4.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 150
  • rear-cam-5.jpeg
    rear-cam-5.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 154
  • rear-cam-6.jpeg
    rear-cam-6.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 153
Glue from the magnet came off :(

Used superglue to put it back together:D

In his original post #616 he showed a heat sink from a BT device that he apparently attached to the PCB to increase the heat sink properties. I believe he is just saying he applied some glue to a few of the peaks of that additional heat sink which in the final analysis still should result in more than adequate heat dissipation.
I am a newbie awaiting my first Mobius and just read this entire thread so please excuse me if I am off base here! :)

Welcome.
When will your Mobius arrive? Smart choice. Believe me, once you have your unit, all will become clear and this thread will be your daily read.

Back