Mobius mounting solutions

I just realized your comments were links!~ Anyhow I did some more searching based upon the items you found and found this one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161360506810 I think it is the one you and I would like to have. There is also this one which is for the reverse direction (down): https://www.ebay.com/itm/150846787995I am going to order the 90 degree up one (item# 161360506810) at about $5.16 USD with free shipping it's not bad.
Cheers

Just ordered one and at current exchange rate it came to $6.75 shipped.
Cool Beans @Skysailer, the item# 161360506810 looks just like what I found but on eBay!
I saw you pictures and your install looks great, it is begging for this adapter, lol...
I am going to order too... cheers brother

Because the Mobius is too close to the windshield and it cannot be unmounted from the case holder.

Mine can barely be inserted/removed; there is an angle just as it enters the mount. It will go in, but I have to be careful because it can be inserted but not locked into the mount properly.

Basic physics tells us that the further a load is from it's support, the more force it will exert on that support (leverage). Car vibration, bumps and potholes, and inertia from braking all try to move the mount and they will exist with all installs. In my opinion most mounts are too long, allowing too much leverage. They seem to work well for most folks, it's just not optimum. Suction-cup mounts can also lose some of their grip introducing a weakness between the cup and the rest of the mount. This is why I made my 'custom' mounts, believing their soilidity gives a more stable cam. The downside of a more solid mount it that the mount cannot flex and 'soften' shocks to the car which may eventually 'shake the cam apart'. So like everything else, it's a compromise whichever way you go.

Being an action cam, the Mobius seems to be able to handle the shocks of more solid mounting well enough but I wonder about lesser cams. Just sharing some thoughts I've had and wondering if anyone has discovered problems which might have been caused by having a mount too solid?

Phil

I just realized your comments were links!~ Anyhow I did some more searching based upon the items you found and found this one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/161360506810 I think it is the one you and I would like to have. There is also this one which is for the reverse direction (down): https://www.ebay.com/itm/150846787995I am going to order the 90 degree up one (item# 161360506810) at about $5.16 USD with free shipping it's not bad.
Cheers

Just ordered one and at current exchange rate it came to $6.75 shipped.
I just ordered too, mine came out to $8.12 USD, go figure... maybe there was a run on them, lol
Anyway, I spent hours searching for that adapter and you put the icing on the cake with the ebay link. :cool:

I just ordered too, mine came out to $8.12 USD, go figure... maybe there was a run on them, lol
Anyway, I spent hours searching for that adapter and you put the icing on the cake with the ebay link. :cool:
Price was based on the exchange rate at the time...they must update it by the minute!! Glad to have been able to help and thanks for your inspiration which got me to order mine! Cheers

Same mount I used on our Odyssey. I did noticed it had a little slop but I just covered the mounting tab with a little tape and it tightened it right up.
Yes! I forgot to mention that. I placed a small piece of duct tape on the base and the mount snugged right up. Thanks for pointing that issue out as it will probably apply to all such installs. Cheers.

Just to put closure on:
Adapter USB-B mini 5pin male/female 90°UP angled.
Anybody not following the threads, you can buy this adapter on ebay.
They ship globally free. Says 65 % sold which is 26 so that's about 14 adapters left today.
Kudos to @salatoimikud (snagged pic from him) and @Skysailer for following up on my searches with an ebay link.
Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161360506810
Here is picture, looks clean !! ;)
mini usb 90 adapter.jpg

Just to put closure on:
They ship globally free. Says 65 % sold which is 26 so that's about 14 adapters left today.
Kudos to @salatoimikud (snagged pic from him) and @Skysailer for following up on my searches with an ebay link.
View attachment 15921
Nice :)

Just to put closure on:
View attachment 15921
Got Mine! Ordered on the 10th and received this morning the 13th! All the way from Ireland in three days...WOW! Pictures below show the quality of the product and packaging as well as the commitment to customer satisfaction. Wish it were like this for every eBay purchase.
100_4604.JPG 100_4605.JPG 100_4606.JPG 100_4607.JPG 100_4608.JPG

Got Mine! Ordered on the 10th and received this morning the 13th! All the way from Ireland in three days...WOW! Pictures below show the quality of the product and packaging as well as the commitment to customer satisfaction. Wish it were like this for every eBay purchase.
View attachment 15964 View attachment 15965 View attachment 15966 View attachment 15967 View attachment 15968
Cool Beans, that is incredible shipping, mine should show up soon...
Lets see a pic with adapter installed now ;)

While awaiting the arrival of my Mobius from MassiveRC I have been researching the forums for mounting solutions that would match my perceived needs.
And I am indeed open to have those modified by any input from more knowledgeable members.

I am sure that I have been thru in excess of 1200 posts in the General Dash Cam Discussion (where did you mount your camera) &
the full 34 pages (more than once) of the Mobius Mounting Solutions thread.

Aside from the fact that I am mind-boggled, I must express my admiration for the creativity & ingenuity of a lot of the members here.
You have also shed light on any number of the factors that influence the decision on where / how to mount the dash cam.

My reality, & perhaps difficulty, is that I am trying to find a solution that's in the context of "one size fits all".

I want to be able to use the Mobius in my car, easily move it to my SUV (when appropriate) & take it with me when I travel
to use it in a rental vehicle. Except for the rental vehicle, I hope to avoid any re-aiming issues between the car & the SUV.

Of all the options / solutions put forward in the forums, it's starting to seem to me that the 2 best possible solutions for me are either
the helmet mount (modified) or the Scosche Magnetic Magic mount which would not require any modifications other than the outlay of
additional dollars (one time investment).

The Scosche can be seen on page 28 of the Mobius Mounting Solutions in a post by "unni" who in turn gives credit to
fellow member "MrM" who made the original post on page 18....sorry but I don't know where or how to find the post numbers.....

My personal preference at this time favours the Scosche - no modification required.

If I were to use the Scosche, I would hard wire it into the car & the aiming would be done thru the swivel mount.
I would obviously have to find a way to "identify / mark" that location as a reference point in order to re-install it
without further adjustment.

For the SUV, I would buy a second Scosche, one with the suction cup mount & I would wire that one into the SUV with the 15 ft. long cord
& mini USB car charger adapter for the cigarette lighter location in the centre console. I would "conceal" the wiring in the SUV.
I would aim it in the SUV and mark the location.

That should allow for moving from the car to the SUV without having to readjust the aiming......I think....

I would buy a second 15 ft. long cable to use in a portable way. When travelling (limited number of times per year) I would take the suction cup mount
& charger adapter from the SUV & use that in any rental vehicle. Obviously I would have to "guess aim " it in a rental vehicle & upon return I
would have to aim it once again after I put it back in the SUV.

The "wiring" would remain in both the car & SUV at all times.The only thing taken out of the car would be the Mobius.

After "talking to myself" about this for the last 2 days, I thought it wise to seek out some advice / guidance from those with way more experience than myself....

Easy (for me) to see the "positives" in what appears to be a complicated solution - I'm concerned about some of the "negatives" that I may be missing.

Additionally, is there another or better solution that is escaping me ??

TIA for any assistance = Roger

Still waiting for solutions where cameras are separated from main body, and offers dual channel with lcd screen.
Tucking away the main unit gives you lower imaging sensor temperature, less heat related issues with the main body like processor locking up and etc, reduces camera footprint, increases positioning options and probably more that I haven't thought of.
Multiple image sensor configurations by allowing end user to purchase the image sensor and lens type they're interested in and hence further allowing image sensor upgrades.
There's obviously going to be improvements in main body processing and feature list so people will want to upgrade in order to utilize image sensors that cannot be physically supported by older platforms, like higher resolution and faster framerate would require a better processing unit, etc.

Still waiting for solutions where cameras are separated from main body, and offers dual channel with lcd screen.
Tucking away the main unit gives you lower imaging sensor temperature, less heat related issues with the main body like processor locking up and etc, reduces camera footprint, increases positioning options and probably more that I haven't thought of.Multiple image sensor configurations by allowing end user to purchase the image sensor and lens type they're interested in and hence further allowing image sensor upgrades.
There's obviously going to be improvements in main body processing and feature list so people will want to upgrade in order to utilize image sensors that cannot be physically supported by older platforms, like higher resolution and faster framerate would require a better processing unit, etc.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, I'm afraid the part of your post where you say, "Tucking away the main unit gives you lower imaging sensor temperature" isn't really correct. Even if the lens module is on a cable and separate from the main unit, the sensor is still inside the lens module, not in the main unit you've got "tucked away". These imaging sensors produce quite a lot of heat on their own and when the remote lens module is mounted up near the top of a windshield it will be subject to the ambient heat from the sun inside the car's cabin just like a typical all-in-one dash camera. I guess having it away from the heat put out by the DSP in the main unit might be helpful but the sensor is still going to get fairly hot. The reason the optical imaging sensor is in the remote lens module and not inside the main unit is that it is essentially the equivalent of film in a camera behind the lens so it can't be placed anywhere else.

Somehow, I'm not quite sure you could have multiple image sensor types used simultaneously with the same DSP. For one thing, the firmware probably can't be programmed to handle the characteristics of several different types of sensors at once even if the DSP itself could. Someone like @jokiin can probably provide a more learned and definitive answer about this question than me, however.

Actually I'm in the imaging sensor characterization field, so I know how much heat is produced by the sensors.
What I was alluding to is that by separating the sensor from the main body unit, you do get rid of the DSP unit heat but you also gain the ability to mount the image sensor in a package that helps to dissipate heat, essentially like a giant metal heatsink, which you cannot add if you got DSP and other stuff behind the sensor enclosed in a plastic shell trapping the heat dissipation.

Actually I'm in the imaging sensor characterization field, so I know how much heat is produced by the sensors.
What I was alluding to is that by separating the sensor from the main body unit, you do get rid of the DSP unit heat but you also gain the ability to mount the image sensor in a package that helps to dissipate heat, essentially like a giant metal heatsink, which you cannot add if you got DSP and other stuff behind the sensor enclosed in a plastic shell trapping the heat dissipation.

OK, I see. "Tucking away the main unit gives you lower imaging sensor temperature" sounded like you meant something else. Then again, that's why I said, "If I understand what you are saying correctly" as I wasn't quite sure.

People sometimes make some whacky assumptions here and I wanted to clarify.

Back