Mobius Remote Lens Tube Camera

I like the simple idea of this mount. I'm curious about the notch in the loop. Is that a hole for a set screw?

Don't know if it's meant for a screw or not as no matching screw was supplied.

Didn't work. :(

Coverage wise this position gave the best view but the module gets in the way, hit my head and moved while getting in and out of the car.

Had attached the Mobius to the grab handle using a small piece of VHB tape, didn't like how the entire set up looked, especially how the lens module looked hanging off the FPV holder.

IMG_0596 (1).png

Moved it closer to the B-pillar and attached the Mobius to the interior B-pillar trim but this set up resulted in the B-pillar eating up most of the FOV.

IMG_0597.png

Really wanted this mounting location to work but the coverage wasn't adequate. All the camera saw was an angled view out the rear window, useless.

IMG_0605.png

An example of how fragile these bits are, snapped off while I was aiming the lens from next to the rear headrest. The 8mm's ribbon-cable came to the rescue.

IMG_0612.png

Since I'm left with no other choice and would still like some kind of coverage for the sides, plan on retesting all my cameras looking into the cabin from the rear, like I did with the C2 and D lens a few months ago. Will use whichever maintains the best exposure.

At least I learnt a couple of things. One, the extension cable set up isn't always more discreet. Each time I looked at the lens module sitting on or hanging off something, couldn't overlook the fact that the entire camera may just look more discreet in those positions. Two, my next car must and will have fixed C-pillar windows.

@Harsh, how about moving the camera over so that it is farther back? From my experience this may work better. The camera's FOV can then be adjusted by aiming it more to the left or right. The wide coverage of the C2 lens provides some wiggle room for aiming preferences.

Also, once you apply the heat shrink tubing, the fragile ribbon cable assembly will be well protected. The shrunken tubing makes for fairly good armor.

harsh's_side_cam.jpg

Tried it at intervals along the green line but still came in the way while getting in and out. Also moving away from the grab handle meant mounting the Mobius directly to the headliner, not something I want to do. Just didn't look right either...

IMG_0597.png

That's too bad. I really like the possibilities of that mount you found. I wonder if it might be possible to mount the module directly on the lip of your door so that it won't block egress or ingress?
I know it's not ideal but maybe it could work?

harsh's_side_cam2.jpg

That's too bad. I really like the possibilities of that mount you found. I wonder if it might be possible to mount the module directly on the lip of your door so that it won't block egress or ingress?
I know it's not ideal but maybe it could work?

Don't think that'll work, especially the way the wiring will have to go. Also too obvious just sitting there.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

I was wondering about a small cube box like many Chinese backup camera to put the Mobius inside. Have you tried that?

I read your post while searching through the forum. I'm not skillful enough for DIY project so I wonder if there is something available out there

I was wondering about a small cube box like many Chinese backup camera to put the Mobius inside. Have you tried that?

I read your post while searching through the forum. I'm not skillful enough for DIY project so I wonder if there is something available out there

Off hand I don't think you will find a ready-made solution (small cube box) that will not require at least some sort of DIY work.

It would be helpful if you could provide further details about what it is you want to accomplish. You mention putting "the Mobius inside" (the cube box). Do you mean just the remote lens module like in my two DIY threads here? Do you mean the whole camera inside a box?

It's hard to offer advice without knowing your goal for the project.

Last edited:
I mean I'll hide the mobius somewhere nearby while putting the lense into a cube like that

And how exactly does one do that without any "DIY" work? You said, :"I'm not skillful enough for DIY project so I wonder if there is something available out there."

That's a waterproof camera. It would be a fair piece of work just to get the housing open without damaging it.
Agreed. Just trying to find the closest thing to what was requested. I didn't find any empty shells, although they're probably available in bulk purchase.

Agreed. Just trying to find the closest thing to what was requested. I didn't find any empty shells, although they're probably available in bulk purchase.

Still not quite sure what @Noonamee has in mind, especially considering the aversion to DIY. Needs more details and discussion.

But you know, @Noonamee, from what you've told us so far and considering that you posed these questions here in this Remote Lens Tube camera thread, why not just do something similar using heat shrink tubing over the Mobius lens module with the extension cable just like you see here? It would make for a simple lower effort and uncomplicated DIY project that might accomplish what you want to achieve. One way or another there is no way around DIY when you want to create a custom camera.

Last edited:
A different form-factor might work better like the B1W or 70mai. Those sticky mounts don't have much depth but can take a good knock from getting in or out without the aim being displaced ;)

Phil

Back