Mobius Super Capacitor.

Jim, may I ask why the delay in starting the car? You mentioned that you wait 5ish seconds on ACC before starting. Why not just start it up? I have a Satellite radio that is instant off and if I go from ACC to start it shuts down and restarts, so your problem may be in the instant disconnect setting. Try setting it to 3 seconds

Well apart from Isoprop mentioning this is a good idea in a previous post for the mobius.....

A lot of cars do a system check on key turn so you are recommended to wait until the lights go out before starting the engine. It probably down to brands i have had if its news to you but Fords used to have a red light in the middle of the dash between each passenger that you had to wait to go out before starting. Same with my Hyundai I have now.
I would also check with the dealer about starting. I have heard of diesels In cold weather needing to warm the block, not in gasoline engines.
Edit: I researched the Ford and Hyundai wait to start light and was to warm the plugs on a diesel in cold weather

Last edited:
I have power off disconnect to immediate. Also does this in our second car using a 1amp lighter connector and a shorter USB cable.

If I have to wait that precise a time between key turn and ignition, then the camera isnt really viable in being connected during that time but I have as a rule waited 10 seconds. I do however connect it after ignition via the USB plug now to avoid the lock up problem this seems to create.

Duplicated in the house as in the mobius doesn't start first time connected to a USB via a mains plug. If I re-format the cards (sandisk and Kingston class 4) then we are ok again until used in the car for about a day. Both cards are legit coming direct from both manufacturers and have worked flawlessly in both my Mobius, the Kingston since my first Mobius in July.

I am currently testing formatting the cards and not ever turn the key with the Mobius connected as I feel this is was screwing them up. Once engine on then I connect the USB, but this isnt install and forget which is a shame.
I agree the ~1 second 'gap' isn't an ideal situation. We'll have to wait until after the CNY until I hear back from the developer if a work-around is possible with the current hardware.
Formatting the card every day isn't ideal either. What size of card are you using and what is your configuration? (Loop recording, clip length). How can I replicate your issue on the workbench? If the card's messing itself up, then that's out of the scope of the Mobius. Is this happening with the battery or the supercap? I can understand if the supercap messes up the files, but not if it's the battery.

<snip>I do apreciate your assistance Isoprop, but as to replicating it yourself, not sure. i will keep trying all the variables I can, but considering its two different mobius and also in two different cars and with separate memory cards, I can only say that its a strong possibility its not my hardware. You kind of need to be using it in a car I would think to get a true environment to test. Then there's the type of car, brand or brands or charger, cable. All of which are different o each of the Mobius that I can recreate the problem.<snip>

Since both of you are in the UK the obvious solution is that Jim needs to arrange to lend one or both of his cars and all of his Mobius' to Isoprop for a few weeks until he can sort this out! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
An option to delay the recording and a longer shutdown time might be enough, can take a bit to get glitches like this sorted with firmware

I thinks there's a bit of trial and error involved but I'd think its something they'll be able to work out

I've already stated that I don't know much about electronics, so I make this suggestion with the knowledge that it may not be at all practical but wouldn't it be fairly easy to build a little DIY relay delay hardware accessory that would plug into a cigarette lighter socket and would have another socket built into it? (like a short extension cord) Over the years I've had friends with good electronics skills build little circuits for me that I've used in my photography profession and short wave radio hobby, for example.

a quick search turned this up:

relay dely.png

Last edited:
They should be able to sort this in the firmware, I don't think there's any need to resort to making up relays etc just yet

I see.

Edit: Apparently, I mis-understood the discussion where Isoprop said, "However you do it in firmware it won't work!" (post #181)

But there was this too: "That's why I keep saying it needs a hardware solution." (post #186)

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... There's a new super capacitor sitting on my desk- I think it will be staying there for now. :(

For the record : 44.7 degrees C yesterday ( 112 F ) with an overnight minimum of 30 C ( 86 F ). A new record temp for the month of February. The Mobius was alive and kicking yesterday morning, I haven't check it today.

Last edited:
I see.

Edit: Apparently, I mis-understood the discussion where Isoprop said, "However you do it in firmware it won't work!" (post #181)

But there was this too: "That's why I keep saying it needs a hardware solution." (post #186)

In relation to the posts that were quoted I believe that's correct, however I think they're just looking at it wrong, give the dev some time with it is say and see what they can come up with, I don't think the problem us insurmountable

In relation to the posts that were quoted I believe that's correct, however I think they're just looking at it wrong, give the dev some time with it is say and see what they can come up with, I don't think the problem us insurmountable

If it were from anyone other than Isoprop I wouldn't have cited those quotes but I agree with you too. Time will tell. One of the really enjoyable and gratifying things about the Mobius is that its development gets so much dedicated, ongoing attention. One issue though, is whether a super capacitor mod has a market that is worth the time and attention from the developers. My guess is that dash cam users constitute a nice (and growing) portion of the market with RC users being the bulk of sales. At least for the time being, super cap users would be only a tiny market segment. I imagine Isoprop and Tom Franks would be the ones who could answer this question.

If all else fails, there's always my DIY delay circuit gadget idea to try. :)

There's certainly no harm in doing your timer circuit, I believe the problems are addressable though

I certainly hope a firmware solution is doable. It's funny but since it has been hovering around -18C plus or minus several degrees for weeks on end around here lately, I could care less for the moment about battery overheating issues but come next summer I will have a whole new attitude about the subject. :)

Yes, the super capacitor mod has been interesting to me but I've had no intention of doing it yet until all the problems being reported are ironed out. Still, that heat sink on the Mobius sure does get hot and I do like to tinker though.

Ive seen a lot of people recommend the super cap in the Mobius forums but am yet to see anyone that like myself is actually using it in the car.

I would like to hear how you are getting on and also question the recommendation if you haven't actually used it as at the moment, I would say hold off.

Exactly my thoughts. I bought one and then started seeing all the posts pop up about subsequent issues with the Mobius operation. (Then, it seemed, some of the issues were deemed to be related to firmware and not the capacitor??)

As a capacitor user Jim, what are the limitations and what settings do you use?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
I have covered it quite a lot in this forum, you could say these are early findings and there may be some issues that are also linked with the 8" extension for the lens but I get a lot of interference now which I think is the shielding on the extension. Dont think its the super cap but i dont know.

As I have covered quite a lot you have to have instant power off set which causes the Mobius to get in a state of confusion with its power on process as you start the engine from ACC and it eventually will not start to record after a few days. You end up having to format the card, which seems to work. So with the current FW needing a few tweaks for the super cap its not a plug in and forget at all, which is annoying as I am currently nearly finished on a permanent install (see earlier posts). I have to plug in the USB insto the charger after the engine has started and as its only a few days into that, Im not sure if thats actually the solution either.

Thanks Jim. I have read through all the posts (a couple of times) but couldn't pick up on exactly what the issues were and what settings were best. The bit in bold cleared it all up and makes a lot of sense- the capacitor needs more capacity so a longer "off delay" can be selected.

IMHO the Mobius needs an external battery option (ie. wired to the internal charging circuit)- so a decent sized (remotely located) super capacitor can be wired in! That would appear to possibly be a (cumbersome) fix to the problem? Locating the battery remotely would also mean it could be located in a cooler area of the vehicle, possibly negating the super capacitor requirement?

Back