Mobius Super Capacitor.

I ordered two super-caps kits (5F @ 2.5V) and two mobius cameras, but none of them save last clip, in all combinations using the super-caps.
I have fw 1.20 and the config: "Power off when external power is disconnected" is set to "Immediately".
The last clip is saved only if the camera use the Li-Po battery.

Could be the fw the cause of this situation?

Well, that causes me to wait on getting a super-cap. Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
@russ331, I have almost same settings like on your mobius, with one exception, the clip length in my case is set for 5 minutes and you have 3 minutes.
But I made a test now with 3 minutes length and last clips is not saved. :(
I left my camera to record for 30 minutes and then I removed the power cable from the camera and the result is the same, last clip is not saved.
Also the card became corrupted, at least Windows suggest me to scan and fix errors.
Anyway thank your for your suggestions!

Attachments

• card_corrupted.png
    card_corrupted.png
    24 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@ciubex, Try removing the super-caps from the cameras and reinstalling them making SURE that they are properly seated and the plugs are fully pressed in. It almost sounds as if you are not getting a proper connection. It is worth trying such trouble shooting....you never know. Sometimes it could be some little thing you've overlooked.

Also, although it's hard to imagine that you received two defective caps, it is also a possibility.

If I let the camera powered for a long time, the supercaps are loaded, when I remove the power cable the red led starting to blinking which mean the shutdown process is started, but the last clip is still not saved.
I suspect the capacitors too, so I ordered from an electronic store 4 super capacitors (4 x SAMXON DRE5/2.5; 5F; 2.5V;) unfortunately those are too big to be placed on the camera case.

Those SAMXON caps are the same size as the 10F ones I found at 10mm x 20mm and they are the smallest I could find. I haven't found a source for anything quite as small as the ones provided in the Mobius super-cap module.
One thing you might try is to download a completely fresh copy of the v1.20 firmware (or earlier) and re-flash one of the cameras just to see if you get different results.

has anyone had issues with the mobius not auto recording when you first turn the car on? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - and when I checked the date of the recording it had reset the time and date.

I have the super caps installed and have left it charging for 30 mins after the green light went off.

First start car the cam will either start recording or

1. stay in a solid orange and red (rear) led
2. record for a few mins and turns off
3. turns on for a few seconds and turns off

thanks

I am facing the same problem (no 1) as you after i had installed the capactior.
It won't auto record when the power is on

Yes, the same thing happened to me. Latest firmware were installed.

From my tests, that’s because capacitors were accidentally discharged under specific voltage level (2.85V). There are two reasons for this.
Firstly, due to camera long time unplugged (longer than 2-3 days, the time duration variation related to the different capacitors leakage current).
Secondly, due to accidentally pressing the camera power on button for the situation no USB power cable connected.
In this situation camera start the recording for few seconds, later on camera power off, but the capacitors keep the discharging process up to 2V. In both situations the camera was reset and there’s no “Auto Record for Power on” the next time it's powered up.

Yes, the same thing happened to me. Latest firmware were installed.

From my tests, that’s because capacitors were accidentally discharged under specific voltage level (2.85V). There are two reasons for this.
Firstly, due to camera long time unplugged (longer than 2-3 days, the time duration variation related to the different capacitors leakage current).
Secondly, due to accidentally pressing the camera power on button for the situation no USB power cable connected.
In this situation camera start the recording for few seconds, later on camera power off, but the capacitors keep the discharging process up to 2V. In both situations the camera was reset and there’s no “Auto Record for Power on” the next time it's powered up.
The longest I've left my Mobius without power is 12 days. It lost the RTC, but still Auto Recorded on Start-Up.... The loss of settings is a weird one!
I gave my car and Mobius capacitor an unexpected 12 day break (after my son was admitted to Hospital).
For information (this is not a complaint, as I know it should last ~10 days) it didn't hold the RTC, but recorded fine on way home regardless. Quick reset of the date/time today & all is well again.;)
I suspect either you have a faulty Capacitor, faulty USB cable or a hardware problem. It is possible that the quality/length of USB cable you are using may not be allowing the Capacitor to charge to its maximum amount, due to voltage leakage. Have you tried a different or shorter USB cable??

Yeah, I've left one of capacitored Mobius cams run down a few times until it lost the RTC settings but after charging it back up and resetting the clock everything was back to normal. In fact, like Hilts said you just have to plug it in and it will record while it is charging again.

For my unit I have measured the stand-by current, and that’s approx. = 18.67uA (0.00001867 Amps)
Considering the charged battery = 4.2V, the equivalent resistance of the camera approx. 225000 ohms
End of discharging time capacitor voltage need to be greater than 3.3V.
Using the online calculator here:

http://mustcalculate.com/electronic...harge.php?vfrom=4.2&vto=3.3&vs=0&c=5&r=225000

For a 5F capacitor, 225k resistor, capacitor discharge time from the voltage U1 = 4.2V to voltage U2 = 3.3V we calculate approx. 75 hours = 3 days.
Are there any hardware modifications for the new MOBIUS cameras? (I just purchased my camera 1 month ago, latest firmware were installed.)

For my unit I have measured the stand-by current, and that’s approx. = 18.67uA (0.00001867 Amps)
Considering the charged battery = 4.2V, the equivalent resistance of the camera approx. 225000 ohms
End of discharging time capacitor voltage need to be greater than 3.3V.
Using the online calculator here:

http://mustcalculate.com/electronic...harge.php?vfrom=4.2&vto=3.3&vs=0&c=5&r=225000

For a 5F capacitor, 225k resistor, capacitor discharge time from the voltage U1 = 4.2V to voltage U2 = 3.3V we calculate approx. 75 hours = 3 days.
Are there any hardware modifications for the new MOBIUS cameras? (I just purchased my camera 1 month ago, latest firmware were installed.)
You might want to consider contacting the seller to see if they can help.... but try some simple tests first, e.g., a different USB cable.

Using a different USB cable won't help me to much. All the tests were done by monitoring the capacitor voltage. I'll try to measure the capacitors leakage current also, but if the camera stand-by current never drop under few micro amps, in theory I have a limited amount of time available, as the online calculator has it been proven that. Personally I prefer to keep the build in accu, using this camera as a stand-alone recorder sometimes. The capacitor tests were done just for my personal learning experience. :)

I'm trying to find out but I can't find any conclusive answer, sorry if I have missed any post telling this. :oops: But...

How long will mobius keep its settings and time/date when using a cap. Can I leave the car abandoned in the garage for a week without having to do an update??

I'm trying to find out but I can't find any conclusive answer, sorry if I have missed any post telling this. :oops: But...

How long will mobius keep its settings and time/date when using a cap. Can I leave the car abandoned in the garage for a week without having to do an update??

Yes, you can leave the car in a garage.

"A fully charged Supercap has enough energy to keep the RTC (Real Time Clock) running for several days (about 7-10) without external power connected." (Quoted from the Mobius Manual)

Download a copy of the Manual HERE if you haven't already obtained one.

Last edited:
How long will mobius keep its settings and time/date when using a cap.

The longest my car's been parked is 5 days so far, & the date / time was retained. Should be good for nearer 10 days, as per Dashmellow's post above.

Last edited:
"A fully charged Supercap has enough energy to keep the RTC (Real Time Clock) running for several days (about 7-10) without external power connected." (Quoted from the Mobius Manual)

The longest period my car's been parked is 5 days so far, & the date / time was retained. Should be good for nearer 10 days, as per Dashmellow's post above.

Brilliant, thank you! Then I will convert my front mobius and give it a shot.

Back