Mobius Super Capacitor.

Nope cam recorded nothing on the way out and last 10 seconds of the return trip.

will try tomorrow with a short USB wire between my PSU in the car and camera.

When you first got your Cap and fitted it, how long did you charge it for via the USB to your PC?
I'd left mine for a good 10-15 mins after the Green LED had gone out to ensure it was fully charged before first use.
I am also using the same type of 64GB Kingston card. It wouldn't loop using FW1.13, but is fine now I've gone back to FW 1.20, thanks to you.

P.S. Have you considered going into the Pizza Delivery business via Dashcamtalk Forum? You mentioning Pizza is making me feel very hungry!!;)

After install it was sitting connected on USB over night, it perform as its supposed to when connected to a power supply here on my table, so i figuere it must be the long USB extension cable i use in my car.

Tomorrow i will try to just use a 1 M cable in the car.
I think i will have to find a power source out back and then connect there in stead of exporting the power all the way from the dash outlet.

And thats okay too, just need a couple of houres and a day with good weather.

Another idea could be a Guardtrack camera in the front, and then move my lukas to the rear window

Yeah its the USB exension cable.

So i will have to find power closer to the rear hatch :) and that will be no problem.
But first i have to endure a week or more of bad weather ( rain ) meaning i cant Work on my car as i have to do it curbside as usioal.

Yeah its the USB exension cable.

So i will have to find power closer to the rear hatch :) and that will be no problem.
But first i have to endure a week or more of bad weather ( rain ) meaning i cant Work on my car as i have to do it curbside as usioal.

Glad to hear it wasn't the camera!

yep :) i guess the long extension cable act as a form of resistor.

I will splice into the rear light of my car for some close up power.

yep :) i guess the long extension cable act as a form of resistor.

I will splice into the rear light of my car for some close up power.

I've been using a 15 foot 28/28AWG shielded USB to miniUSB cable from Monoprice to run the Mobius (with super-capacitor) I use for the rear camera in my truck and haven't run into any problems with resistance. Maybe you just have a bad cable extension or need a heavier gauge one? Then again, there are so many instances of some people having one issue or another with their Mobius' and others not having any problems.

1 thing is for sure the extension cable is some cheap s...

I might route new cables from the battery to the rear, i have a lot of fuses( manual and Automatic ) and some heavy braided cable from my boomcar days.

1 thing is for sure the extension cable is some cheap s...

I might route new cables from the battery to the rear, i have a lot of fuses( manual and Automatic ) and some heavy braided cable from my boomcar days.
So how did it go, did you find a solution to your problem?

Yeah i just cant use my long USB extension cable, will splice into the rear light of my car and use a short cable, that should Work.

Havent gotten around to do the Work yet, my friend need my attention these days, and sadly i am so weak now i will need 2 days to get over 2 houres of light machineassisted gardenwork.

It suck to be old and sick :(

I installed the capacitor kit ($5.99 from Banggood) in my second Mobius on Thursday morning.

After 4 days use, it's holding date & time correctly, & saving the last file after the engine is switched off.

I now have two Mobius cameras equipped with capacitors. Both working perfectly (touch wood).

Anyone have tried to hook nimh battery from internal slot?
3cell nimh provides a nominal volt of 3.6v vs 3.7 of 1 lipo, should works so no worry about the lipo on fire under hot dash sunshine

you got to hang the battery outside of the camera.

I installed the capacitor kit ($5.99 from Banggood) in my second Mobius on Thursday morning.

After 4 days use, it's holding date & time correctly, & saving the last file after the engine is switched off.

I now have two Mobius cameras equipped with capacitors. Both working perfectly (touch wood).
I gave my car and Mobius capacitor an unexpected 12 day break (after my son was admitted to Hospital).

For information (this is not a complaint, as I know it should last ~10 days) it didn't hold the RTC, but recorded fine on way home regardless. Quick reset of the date/time today & all is well again.;)

Last edited:
I have been using mine with the super cap for about 1 1/2 weeks. The longest the car has sat is about 1 day but each time I have checked the date and time it has been correct.

My question about the capacitor: does it have enough power to keep mobius save last clip untill it automatically shut down? how do we set up mobius to let it shut down as soon as power is removed. mine take about 10 second to shut down when power is removed.

My question about the capacitor: does it have enough power to keep mobius save last clip untill it automatically shut down? how do we set up mobius to let it shut down as soon as power is removed. mine take about 10 second to shut down when power is removed.
You'll need to set "Power off when external power is disconnected" to "Immediately", then yes it will have enough power to save the last clip.

The Mobius Instruction manual (Portuguese version 'coming soon' ;)) and the relevant Graphical User Interface (GUI) to change the settings, for either for PC or Apple users, can be found on this web page:-
http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 months & 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. No problems at all.

Personally, I think that the Mobius ActionCam with capacitor kit installed, has a better claim on the title DashCam than any purpose-made DashCam that is only available with a LiPo battery, which is most of them.

has anyone had issues with the mobius not auto recording when you first turn the car on? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - and when I checked the date of the recording it had reset the time and date.

I have the super caps installed and have left it charging for 30 mins after the green light went off.

First start car the cam will either start recording or

1. stay in a solid orange and red (rear) led
2. record for a few mins and turns off
3. turns on for a few seconds and turns off

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered two super-caps kits (5F @ 2.5V) and two mobius cameras, but none of them save last clip, in all combinations using the super-caps.
I have fw 1.20 and the config: "Power off when external power is disconnected" is set to "Immediately".
The last clip is saved only if the camera use the Li-Po battery.

Could be the fw the cause of this situation?

Back