Mobius Super Capacitor.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 3 month & 2 years ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Russ331 are you always using the latest firmware?
I'm currently using the latest firmware, though in the past I was often a version or two behind what was then the latest release.

I think I've run into issues with incorrect card formatting and old firmware. (I was using old firmware because it appeared to exhibit better low light performance- but I haven't been on here for a while to check the latest versions out.)

Hi. Today are exactly 13 months since I put the supercapacitor and my rear mounted Mobius B Lens started and recorded every single time I started the car engine. The time & date are correctly kept but a single time when I did not drive the car for 5 days. Overall, I am a very happy Mobius user but I am also looking forward to the new Mobius 2.
Drive safe!

Something of interest- I bought a larger capacity 820mA/h battery from Banggood a while ago (due to the failure of an original Mobius battery after a couple of year's use.) The new battery had been working fine in a car was that wasn't driven much and garaged. That vehicle (about five weeks ago) became the "daily driver" and is now parked outside and used regularly. Since the change the 820mA/h battery has swelled up and distorted the Mobius case (and this is during Autumn.) An OEM battery left out in the previous vehicle survived a couple of Aussie Summers parked outside in the sun. Perhaps it was just bad luck- or the original fit batteries are more reliable in the heat?

(I know it has happened in the last 5 weeks as there was a lens cap attached via some cotton thread jammed between the upper and lower sections of the Mobius' case . The cap fell off a couple of weeks back- shortly after the usage change- but I didn't think much of it. It's fallen off because the sides of the case have bulged open!)

Time to order another super cap.

Edit: Just checked and I received the battery on 11th of November 2015.

Last edited:
Yes, out of the three Mobius' with OEM batteries the only one that has failed was in the car that wasn't used much. That car also has a front and rear camera and the 2nd camera still has the OEM battery working.

So, I still got well over a year out of the only OEM one that's failed and it didn't bulge at all. This higher capacity battery hasn't lasted half that time and has warped the casing. Mind you, it still appears to be working okay but it won't be going back in. It actually feels squishy like a balloon full of gas. :(

Yes, out of the three Mobius' with OEM batteries the only one that has failed was in the car that wasn't used much. That car also has a front and rear camera and the 2nd camera still has the OEM battery working.

So, I still got well over a year out of the only OEM one that's failed and it didn't bulge at all. This higher capacity battery hasn't lasted half that time and has warped the casing. Mind you, it still appears to be working okay but it won't be going back in. It actually feels squishy like a balloon full of gas. :(
I hope your OEM batteries have the tiny overload/underload protection circuitry built in. Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

The 820mAh version (that has bulged) appears to have one. I'm not sure if the original batteries have/had it or not?

Edit: found the only failed OEM battery and it has the circuitry as well.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 4 months & 2 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 4 months & 2 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.
Nice

I had two of my Mobius cameras replaced recently due to USB connection problems. I'm using the cameras with super capacitors and it seems that one of the replacement cameras I received does not hold time overnight - or when testing it - sometimes even a shorter time, like for one hour.

I wonder if it is technically possible for the camera itself to have such HW malfunction. It surely does not sound feasible to me at the moment, but I have not been able to figure what the problem could be.

I cross-changed the capacitors between the two cameras but the problem did mot move to the other camera. So the problem should not be in the capacitor. The other replacement camera seems to behave as expected so far.

I have the "Disconnect immediate" and "USB Data Port Charging" enabled in the camera setup. I also have "Power-On Auto Record" set to "Both" and never start recording manually.

The problem occurs both in my car and also when I connect the camera to a wall adapter.

When testing the cameras yesterday evening I connected the camera to my PC using the original Mobius cable, formatted the memory card with mSetup, then hit "Set Paramaters" to sync the date and time, then powered off the camera and left it connected to my PC for three more minutes before disconnecting. The camera stayed on my table overnight, and this morning I connected it into my car and did a test drive. The time was reset once again.

Firmware v2.41 in both cameras.

Any ideas what obvious I am now missing here?

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 5 months & 2 years 2 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 6 months & 2 years 3 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Hi. Today are exactly 16 months since I put the supercapacitor and my rear mounted Mobius B Lens started and recorded when I started the car engine. The time & date are correctly kept and the last saved file (when turning off the car engine) is playable on PC.
Off-topic: what I wrote above also applies to my JooVuu X and A119.
Drive safe!

Hi, I have a MK1 Ford Focus, when I turn the key in my ignition to start the engine my stereo will briefly go off then come back on. Can I expect the ignition issue? Am I better off with an A118 instead as I'd rather not manually start it.

Actually I've read it's only the first 5 seconds so I think it should be ok.

Last edited:
Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 7 months & 2 years 4 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 7 months & 2 years 4 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Essentially the same experience here, except with three Mobius cameras. Sometimes I get lazy and don't bother or just forget to check the footage on my rear or side facing cameras for over a month or even more but when I do the files are all there in good order with good exposure and sharpness ready for viewing. The Mobius camera can always be relied upon as a stalwart silent sentinel.

Last edited:
Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 8 months & 2 years 5 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Back