Mobius Super Capacitor.

Ok, thanks.

My Mobius is a fairly long winded process and tricky to take out to change the firmware so can anyone confirm that FW 2.33 has also resolved this issue for them please?

@Isoprop Would be great if it has but i thought i remembered reading that it wasn't possible to address?
I don't count as a regular dashcam user, but last week I drove well over 3000 KM in 4 days using the Mobius as a dashcam. It worked perfectly with my 128GB Sandisk with V2.41 and never missed anything. I always use the latest firmware.

jokiin, Oct 9, 2014

@jokiin @Isoprop

Did this ever get addressed does anyone know? Or am I still correct using a switch to turn the camera on after Ive cranked the engine?

Is there a way to edit the firmware to have a 5-10 second delay on turn on for the supercap users who's cars have the power dip when the engines turned on?

This issue has come up now and again and has been discussed many times in older threads (including this very one we are in right now) going back two years ago. There is also a whole thread dedicated to it HERE. "Unreliable Ignition On Recording" - (When viewing that thread, be aware that a former DCT member who was one of the primary people dealing with this issue at the time deleted all his posts before he left and so there are some informational and contextual gaps).

One DIY solution is to install an inexpensive 5V delay timer in the circuit that will not allow the camera to begin recording until after your accessory circuit is on and powered up full time.
Such timers are widely available on eBay and elsewhere which allow you to select how many seconds (or minutes/hours) you wish to delay before the circuit turns on your camera.

Check this eBay link to see some examples or do a search for "5V delay timer".

5vtimer.jpg

5v-timer3.jpg

Analogue version
5vtimer2.jpg

Features:
Low voltage for power supply, the lowest is 3V, convenient for use.
Can be powered by 3.7V lithium battery, 5V power bank, switch power, transformer, etc.
Adjustable delay time range: 0.1s to 999 minutes.
The use of opto isolated input and output, enhanced anti-jamming capability and consumption.
The setting parameters can be memorized after power off.
To ensure stability, industrial grade PCB board.
Applied to control motor, bulb, LED light string, mini pump, etc.

Specifications:
Display: LED Digital Display
Timing Range(Adjustable): 0.1s to 999 minutes
Working Voltage: DC 3-7V(with mini jumper: 3-5.5V; without mini jumper: 3.8-7V)
Signal Source: DC 3-12V
Output Capacity: Can Control the Load within DC 30V 3A or AC 220V 3A
Static Current: 15mA
Working Current: 30mA
Working Temperature: -40-85°C
PCB Size: 64 * 35 * 15mm / 2.52 * 1.4 * 0.in (L * W * H)
PCB Weight: 20g / 0.72oz

Last edited:
This issue has come up now and again and has been discussed many times in older threads (including this very one we are in right now) going back two years ago. There is also a whole thread dedicated to it HERE. "Unreliable Ignition On Recording" - (When viewing that thread, be aware that a former DCT member who was one of the primary people dealing with this issue deleted all his posts before he left and so there are some informational and contextual gaps)........

Thanks, thats a great suggestion. Super!

I don't count as a regular dashcam user, but last week I drove well over 3000 KM in 4 days using the Mobius as a dashcam. It worked perfectly with my 128GB Sandisk with V2.41 and never missed anything. I always use the latest firmware.
You miss understand me. Mines been flawless for 2 years with a super cap, ive driven to scotland without a hiccup.

I was asking if a delay had been added to the FW for the pause in current during ignition that some people experience. That was because @Quidagis said using FW 2.33 worked for him.

In no way did I question the reliability, why would I, its been the most reliable dashcam I could ask for. Im buying two for my father and a second one for my car as they are so reliable and picture quality outstanding for the price rather than anything new on the market that hasnt proven itself.

Last edited:
I was asking if a delay had been added to the FW for the pause in current during ignition that some people experience.

It's been requested on a number of occasions, but never implemented by the Developer. As it hasn't happened by now, it probably isn't going to. Maybe it'll feature in the upcoming Mobius 2?

It's been requested on a number of occasions, but never implemented by the Developer. As it hasn't happened by now, it probably isn't going to. Maybe it'll feature in the upcoming Mobius 2?
Thanks.

I just didnt wanted to be turning mine on and getting others to in their car like a Muppet if it had been added as a feature. :p

Thanks, thats a great suggestion. Super!
You miss understand me. Mines been flawless for 2 years with a super cap, ive driven to scotland without a hiccup.

I was asking if a delay had been added to the FW for the pause in current during ignition that some people experience. That was because @Quidagis said using FW 2.33 worked for him.

In no way did I question the reliability, why would I, its been the most reliable dashcam I could ask for. Im buying two for my father and a second one for my car as they are so reliable and picture quality outstanding for the price rather than anything new on the market that hasnt proven itself.
It's not possible with the current hardware design. The supercap can't hold enough charge to 'wait and see' if power will be applied again after a second or two. Removing power while the firmware is booting will prevent the firmware from loading properly and thus the camera will turn off. You'll need an external device that is either permanently powered by the car battery or has a larger supercap.

Been reading this thread for over an hour and I am rather confused and a bit lost. I have yet to install my Mobius as I am waiting on an lens extension lead and have ordered a super capacitor, as this was recommended instead of the supplied battery. So, I install my cam with the Super Cap fitted. Turn on the ignition and start the car, will the camera turn on or do I need to turn on the ignition wait 5 seconds and then start the car? If I do not wait 5 seconds does this mean the camera will start then turn off?

If camera set to immediate shutdown in mSetup I just turn off the ignition and the camera will save the last clip and not lose the last 5 min clip?

I have a 12v dc ~5v dec 15w 3A dual USB car converter module connected to the rear wiper power fuse which is only live when ignition is on. I would assume the delay timer would be okay and go between 12v car supply and USB power adaptor?

Sorry for the dumbo questions, we all have to start somewhere and I do not want to fry the camera or the car!!

Been reading this thread for over an hour and I am rather confused and a bit lost. I have yet to install my Mobius as I am waiting on an lens extension lead and have ordered a super capacitor, as this was recommended instead of the supplied battery. So, I install my cam with the Super Cap fitted. Turn on the ignition and start the car, will the camera turn on or do I need to turn on the ignition wait 5 seconds and then start the car? If I do not wait 5 seconds does this mean the camera will start then turn off?

If camera set to immediate shutdown in mSetup I just turn off the ignition and the camera will save the last clip and not lose the last 5 min clip?

I have a 12v dc ~5v dec 15w 3A dual USB car converter module connected to the rear wiper power fuse which is only live when ignition is on. I would assume the delay timer would be okay and go between 12v car supply and USB power adaptor?

Sorry for the dumbo questions, we all have to start somewhere and I do not want to fry the camera or the car!!

Only a very small percentage of people run into a problem with ignition delay in certain vehicles and need to find a solution. Unless you find yourself among that population you needn't worry about it and won't require a delay timer. Just try it and see what happens; you won't fry the camera as long as you only connect it to a 5 volt power supply and your converter should be fine. The worst that can happen is that the camera won't power up and begin recording if something isn't quite right.

In mSetup just set the camera to "Power On - Auto Record" either "External Only" or "Both" (doesn't matter which).

If using a capacitor make sure to set "Power-Off Disconnect' to "Immediate". (It will do that automatically if you select "Both" or "External")

The camera should now start and stop automatically when you engage the ignition or shut off your engine and it will save the last clip.

msetup.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, had a read of the last few pages and I also have a problem with one of two cameras (both with super caps) not saving the last file. It is remembering the time. Should I try a firmware change or could it be a faulty capacitor?

Hi all, had a read of the last few pages and I also have a problem with one of two cameras (both with super caps) not saving the last file. It is remembering the time. Should I try a firmware change or could it be a faulty capacitor?
If it's remembering the time it's not the capacitor. Are you sure your setting are correct? I.e. Set to immediate shutoff?
As I write that and think about it, if it's not it would likely drain the cap and mess up the time, therefore I'd try to reload or update the firmware. Are they both at the same firmware?

Yes I double checked via the Android app that it was set to Immediate. I set it down to 3min files to help as well. Is the latest firmware all good to use with a super capacitor? Not sure if they are both the same firmware, the rear one is stuck to the roof and hard to remove but I don't think you can update from Android?

I have no idea how the Android app works or what it can do since I have an iPhone and use a windows laptop to program my camera (it's stuck to the third brake light).

I can't say for sure if there are any problems with the super cap and the newest firmware but I would assume a LOT of people would be writing about it, if it had a problem. I'm running a super cap on two cameras without issues and think it's v.2.37 but I'm not 100% sure. That version is the newest on my computer so I assume it's on the cameras.

If it's too hard to reload the firmware try to at least check if they are the same. You could also try a hard reset if you haven't already. Hope this helps.

Ok I updated from something like v0.59 to the latest, still doesn't save the last file. Not sure what version my other Mobius that does save it is but they were bought around the same time (years ago).

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 2 months & 1 year 11 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Ok I updated from something like v0.59 to the latest, still doesn't save the last file. Not sure what version my other Mobius that does save it is but they were bought around the same time (years ago).

Ok I finally managed to open and inspect this camera, and the super cap is leaking and the top is puffed! So it still kept the time but didn't have the juice to save last file.

Does a capacitor have anything that would leak? I think you have a battery, Yorky.

IMG_20150606_124142(1).jpg

That's a 'puffed out' battery on the left, and a super-capacitor on the right.

It would sometimes give a loud pop sound but it would smell bad for sure. We had a lot of those scenarios when I was in Uni :p

Back