Mobius Super Capacitor.

What I can hear is a faint electrical pulsing.

A pulsating electrical noise in dash cam footage is often a symptom of the camera not receiving enough voltage, so rule out that the power supply/cable run is or isn't functioning properly as part of your troubleshooting. The issue may well having nothing to do with the super capacitor as the battery may have been compensating for some other problem.

A pulsating electrical noise in dash cam footage is often a symptom of the camera not receiving enough voltage, so rule out that the power supply/cable run is or isn't functioning properly as part of your troubleshooting. The issue may well having nothing to do with the super capacitor as the battery may have been compensating for some other problem.

It does it in two different cars.

Set up one from rear cig/12v socket via a nextbase plug in power supply 5v 2amp

Set up two is a from 12v socket in the other car via cheap and chearful usb adaptor 5v 2.1amp

Both supply plenty of amps/volts when i tested them initially.

What is the requirements for the Mobius?

The Mobius requires a minimum of .5 amps and should really have a least one amp so it sounds like you should be ok.

I was just suggesting another possible avenue to explore in your efforts to figure this out. It is a problem I've never heard of before.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 1 month & 1 year 10 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 2 years 1 month & 1 year 10 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.
Mine's been going for about the 2 year mark with a super cap. I had to buy a multi-socket car charger adapter with an on off switch to turn on when I start the petrol engine as there's a pause in the power when I start the engine (well documented here) and it would turn on and off after ignition. Just have to remember to turn it on.

Just doing my fathers car with a Mobius and super caps, his diesel does the same (thought a diesel would be different, must just be down to manufacturers and models), luckily Im prepared and have already ordered the adapter. Glad I didn't hard wire it without checking.

Can you explain that to me? Because I'm using the Mobius capacitor since one year and the last file is never saved to the camera even it's only 3 minutes parts. It would be horrible for me If I had an accident where the engine goes off and I wouldn't have the video file of the impact.

Mine's been going for about the 2 year mark with a super cap. I had to buy a multi-socket car charger adapter with an on off switch to turn on when I start the petrol engine as there's a pause in the power when I start the engine (well documented here) and it would turn on and off after ignition. Just have to remember to turn it on.

Just doing my fathers car with a Mobius and super caps, his diesel does the same (thought a diesel would be different, must just be down to manufacturers and models), luckily Im prepared and have already ordered the adapter. Glad I didn't hard wire it without checking.

Mine is hard wired, has a super cap too and used to do the same, I downgraded to FW 2.33 and problem solved.

Mine is hard wired, has a super cap too and used to do the same, I downgraded to FW 2.33 and problem solved.
Ok, thanks.

My Mobius is a fairly long winded process and tricky to take out to change the firmware so can anyone confirm that FW 2.33 has also resolved this issue for them please?

@Isoprop Would be great if it has but i thought i remembered reading that it wasn't possible to address?

Last edited:
check your settings, has to be set to instant power off

No way. You're telling me that this is solved with just change one of the setting. :eek:
I'm loosing the last clips since almost two years and thought there is now solution for that problem. :(
I feel really stupid right now. :confused:

with capacitors you need to have the camera shutdown straight away when power off, just mentioned it in case you had this setting incorrect

very helpful, I see now why some people have problems with not recording at power up, this is fixable in the firmware
jokiin, Oct 9, 2014

@jokiin @Isoprop

Did this ever get addressed does anyone know? Or am I still correct using a switch to turn the camera on after Ive cranked the engine?

Is there a way to edit the firmware to have a 5-10 second delay on turn on for the supercap users who's cars have the power dip when the engines turned on?

Last edited:
No way. You're telling me that this is solved with just change one of the setting.
Setting 'Power-Off Disconnect' to 'Immediate' in mSetup gives the capacitor long enough to save the file being recorded without exhausting the capacitor, & to maintain the correct date / time.

image.jpeg

Mine's been going for about the 2 year mark with a super cap...
My previous car was a diesel, & I had no problems. Current car is petrol-engined, again no problems. Both cars are Mini Coopers. Also works fine with the stop-start system. Am using Firmware v2.41

with capacitors you need to have the camera shutdown straight away when power off, just mentioned it in case you had this setting incorrect

I've got my SG set to never power off, is this wrong?

I've got my SG set to never power off, is this wrong?

The Mobius with its choice of battery or super-capacitor is a whole different animal with a whole range of menu options not available to the SG and of course, this is a thread dedicated to the Mobius super-capacitor. ;)

Setting 'Power-Off Disconnect' to 'Immediate' in mSetup gives the capacitor long enough to save the file being recorded without exhausting the capacitor, & to maintain the correct date / time.

View attachment 21508

Thank you both so much!!! :)

I had an older firmware where I wasn't able to make this setting. :( But now everything is fine.

By the way, what does the "power on delay" setting exactly mean? My english is too bad to understand this function. Can somebody explain?

By the way, what does the "power on delay" setting exactly mean? My english is too bad to understand this function. Can somebody explain?

The "power on delay" setting means that you have to hold down the power button for several seconds until the camera will turn on. This is used for example, so that if you have a Mobius in your pocket it will not turn on by accident. In my vehicle with super-capacitors in the camera I unusually set that menu button to "Fast".

In some vehicles, it might be useful to delay the power on.

Last edited:
By the way, what does the "power on delay" setting exactly mean?
Power On Delay is to prevent Mobius being accidentally turned on if, for example it's in your pocket. When the delay is set, the power button has to be pressed for several seconds before the camera will switch on.

My previous car was a diesel, & I had no problems. Current car is petrol-engined, again no problems. Both cars are Mini Coopers. Also works fine with the stop-start system. Am using Firmware v2.41
Looks like Mini's are fine then. Thats good.

2013 Diesel Honda CRV's and 2015 Hyundai i30's aren't. Still need a switch.

Just tried my Mobius in a mate's mini and it indeed turned on without any problems.

Its a fantastic little camera and I dont mind having to turn it on after ignition, its just Im setting two up for my father and Im not confident he will remember to turn it on. So I was just after an update if there was any workaround other than a switch for the unlucky ones with a power dip on ignition.

Last edited:
Back