Mobius Super Capacitor.

Then if that is the case more people like myself would use the Mobius as a dashcam and not worry about the over heating issue which I have experienced.

the capacitors really only make it suitable for dashcam use, the issue with it running hot wouldn't go away, just make it a bit safer

I don't know a lot of people with RC planes, but almost everyone i know owns a car, some even two.
I think the dashcam represents a lot bigger market then the RC plane group. So it make sense fitting it better for a dashcam use to increase sales.

I don't know a lot of people with RC planes, but almost everyone i know owns a car, some even two.
I think the dashcam represents a lot bigger market then the RC plane group. So it make sense fitting it better for a dashcam use to increase sales.

Thats what we ( dashcam users ) for nearly 2 years trying to educate Mobius developers ( #16 team ) to understand where is potential market is, where money could be made.
Like Mtz said: Mobius without RCGrops is NOTHING ! ;)
RCGropus is only 1 drop in the ocean. More potential is in the dashcam market.
From isoprop words I understood that hopefully now they finally started listening to us and work is in progress towards more functions implemented that suits dashcam users.
Lets give them some time to came out with good result.

absolutely agree that the dashcam market is a lot bigger than the RC user market, I think in the case of the Mobius using as a dashcam is a nice bonus feature, using it only as a dashcam though I don't feel it's that great, has a good bang for buck because it's cheap but it is also quite limited as well, yes it gives them another potential market but there's a lot more competitors in the dashcam sector than there are in the RC sector

I prefer the real thing myself. We almost didn't get off the ground a few weeks ago with hill wind gusts. I was testing the Vicovation WF1 here: (2nd Video is WF1, Jump to 7m03s to match 1st video)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Isoprop
Please confirm that latest FW v0.57 (v3) had been adopted to work with Supercap, so now we can DIY exchanging battery for capacitors like you and @Mtz posted in other threads:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius.1303/page-18#post-28775

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius.1303/page-18#post-28806
Support for supercaps was introduced in Firmware v0.48, so all later versions (that includes v0.57) also support them.

I don't know why the developer hasn't officially released the supercaps. There may be a valid reason or maybe he just hasn't had the time or he wants to do further testing. I know he is extremely busy at present.
For the time being, I don't know the reason why they are not yet officially available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support for supercaps was introduced in Firmware v0.48, so all later versions (that includes v0.57) also support them.

I don't know why the developer hasn't officially released the supercaps. There may be a valid reason or maybe he just hasn't had the time or he wants to do further testing. I know he is extremely busy at present.
For the time being, I don't know the reason why they are not yet officially available.

Thanks for replay. For me ( for many DIY enhusiasts ) is no problem to fit supercap.
Just wanted to know so you confurm that time / date / settings will stay saved inside memory when using supercaps with FW v0.48 and above ?
I guess that Only thing can not use is delay recording option after turn off ignition, right ?

Thanks for replay. For me ( for many DIY enhusiasts ) is no problem to fit supercap.
Just wanted to know so you confurm that time / date / settings will stay saved inside memory when using supercaps with FW v0.48 and above ?
I guess that Only thing can not use is delay recording option after turn off ignition, right ?
Right. Although the supercaps store an enormous amount of energy, there just isn't enough power to keep the Mobius recording without external power. If you inadvertently set the delay to 10 seconds you'll lose the last clip and most likely the date and time as well (untested) as soon as you disconnect the external power supply.

The RTC (Real Time Clock) should keep the correct date and time for at least 7 days. My tests keep getting interrupted, but so faer I've been able to keep the RTC running for 9½ days. I need to confirm this figure. Unfortunately I don't have a whole bunch of cameras and supercaps for efficient testing ;)

Right. Although the supercaps store an enormous amount of energy, there just isn't enough power to keep the Mobius recording without external power. If you inadvertently set the delay to 10 seconds you'll lose the last clip and most likely the date and time as well (untested) as soon as you disconnect the external power supply.

The RTC (Real Time Clock) should keep the correct date and time for at least 7 days. My tests keep getting interrupted, but so faer I've been able to keep the RTC running for 9½ days. I need to confirm this figure. Unfortunately I don't have a whole bunch of cameras and supercaps for efficient testing ;)

Yes, was worried about RTC, but now thats fine.I set after rec delay to sero and connect to reading light power loom, it has power cut off delay, didnt measure exactly, but it has to be 30-60sec. so this way it will work for me.

Why don't you update the GUI with option "Capacitor"? When this will be activated, the "mandatory" options will become grayed-out (delay recording) so that we are not doing some mistakes that would cost us (dascam users) a lot (like in case of accident there is high probability that the power will be cut and we would loose the most important part of the event)

Why don't you update the GUI with option "Capacitor"? When this will be activated, the "mandatory" options will become grayed-out (delay recording) so that we are not doing some mistakes that would cost us (dascam users) a lot (like in case of accident there is high probability that the power will be cut and we would loose the most important part of the event)

Good point, agree.

Good idea, but I think it would confuse the majority of users. It's just as easy to click on the "Immediate" Power Off button which is also used by non-dashcam users who have no interest in supercaps. The supercaps are mentioned in the tooltip and also in the manual and I also expect users to test the important settings before using their camera in the real world. I would think that anyone using supercaps is perfectly aware of the dangers of losing data if the parameter is incorrectly set, I least I hope so ;)

It may help if dashcam users would create a dashcam profile which they could then use as a basis before changing parameters. Of course, this wouldn't prevent users removing the "Immediate" Power off, but it could be useful all the same.

With each larger firmware update the GUI also becomes more cramped and I'm always battling to find space but still keep the parameters grouped together as best as possible. I've had to completely rearrange the GUI for the upcoming step 2 firmware versions, always keeping step 3 in mind!

... I would think that anyone using supercaps is perfectly aware of the dangers of losing data if the parameter is incorrectly set, I least I hope so ;)...
Yes, we are aware of dangers of loosing data, but some of us are not so good with setting the parameters (some of them might even look confusing to us, even if they are simple for you).

...It may help if dashcam users would create a dashcam profile ...
...or it may help if professionals like you would create a default profile for dashcam users in the GUI, so that they simply select "Capacitors profile" and everything would be recommended by the GUI.

Yes, we are aware of dangers of loosing data, but some of us are not so good with setting the parameters (some of them might even look confusing to us, even if they are simple for you).

...or it may help if professionals like you would create a default profile for dashcam users in the GUI, so that they simply select "Capacitors profile" and everything would be recommended by the GUI.
On the original #16 GUI I initially had a default GUI which reflected the most common values used by RC flyers. I had to remove the profile because some users didn't understand how the profile had got there and they thought they had made a mistake! Then I considered the possibility to download different profiles, but I abandoned that idea as well. Some people don't understand profiles. Unfortunately, it's not possible to satisfy everyone.
I have been writing software for "beginners" for over 30 years and have learned that one has to keep the layout as simple as possible and avoid unnecessary clutter or functionality that is too advanced. I never expected the #16 (and the Mobius) GUI to have so much functionality as it has today, but I know it's still too complicated for some. Others are overwhelmed by the number of parameters, but the more parameters the more flexible the product. Support for the supercap is just one example.
If you want to take full advantage of the Mobius you'll have to take the plunge, otherwise you can use the Mobius out-of-the-box, but don't expect special features like the supercap to work correctly. I highly recommend that any one new to the Mobius should fire up the GUI and move the mouse over each and every heading. There is a lot of interesting information to be learned from the tooltips ;). Those who don't have access to a Windows PC are, I'm afraid, out of luck unless they have a smartphone which is compatible with therau2000's app.

niko, if you can find a super capacitor to fit the Mobius could you please post where you got it from.
Isoprop has already posted the type and dimensions of the super capacitor but I have been unable to find one in Australia.

Yeah, Mac only iPhone fans should stay away unless they want to use the Text config tool :)

Can write code that upon loading GUI will sences what type of mobius it working with. If battery, then all settings options available, if supercap then some options will be blocked.

Last edited:
Can write code that upon loading GUI will sences what type of mobius it working with. If battery, then all settings options available, if supercap then some options will be blocked.
Unfortunately, that is not possible with the current hardware design. For the firmware, the supercap is basically no different than a battery. Building hardware sensing circuitry just isn't worth the trouble, IMO. Adding more sensing circuitry can drastically complicate the firmware and bugs can easily slip in. Maybe some users would want to use large external supercaps which have enough energy to record 10 seconds and more. These users would not want any automatic detection!

Back