Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Discussion in 'Mobius' started by GJHS, Feb 12, 2014.

1. CBW

CBW New Member

United States
    Many thanks to Dashmellow, Jokiin, Sawmaster & Bungus for all their guidance - thanks guys

ooh,ooh - 1 last question - if the Mobius does not have a battery and I use it as a dash cam, I presume that the time stamp will not be usable since the Mobius has no internal power source to keep it going? If I want to use a timestamp, I have to keep plugged into car power source when I take it down and tuck it away?

Bungus likes this.
  2. Dashmellow

Dashmellow Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    SG9665GC, Mobius/M2 (x7), GT680W (modded), DR32, others
    The super-capacitor will keep the time and date stamp going for approximately one week to ten days after the last time the camera gets charged up. If you drive your car regularly you shouldn't have any issues. :)

Edit: Also, here's an important little tip: When you use the mSetup application on your computer to configure your Mobius camera make sure to select "YES" where it says "Sync Date/Time. This will set the camera's clock to match the time set on your computer every time you use the mSetup software. Always remember to do this when Daylight Savings time comes around.

msetup.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. SawMaster

SawMaster Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, G1W-S, G1WHc x2, G1W clone, and more to come!
    Also on the at same msetup page, when using caps set the "Power-Off disconnect" to "Immediate" to save and close the last file properly.

Phil

Isoprop, russ331, Bungus and 2 others like this.
  4. civic

civic New Member

Turkey
    What's the best firmware and lens for low light? I'm running the cam at night while parked after battery thefts. I have a B lens Mobius and C2 lens Mobius. I purchased a Sandisk 64GB Class 10 card for longer storage times. The problem is, the safest spot is almost totally dark. I'll try to find a safe spot with more illumination, but until then, I need the best firmware and lens combination. I might opt for 32 GB Class 4 card if I have to go back to older firmware. Thanks in advance.

5. Dashmellow

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Use the latest firmware - v2.41 along with the C2 lens camera which should perform better than the B lens for this purpose.

This doesn't sound like the most ideal situation for the Mobius but try using the dedicated low light setting in mSetup as well as increasing the exposure setting under "Advanced Image Settings".

Be sure to do some tests and see what works best. Make adjustments as necessary.

(You can also try using the contrast and saturation controls in combination with the exposure control to refine your image results. You don't need the perfect picture, just the best evidence you can capture.)

M1.jpg

M1_2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    SawMaster, Bungus, russ331 and 3 others like this.
  6. SawMaster

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Does the low-light setting have an adverse effect on recordings made in bright sunlight? I could also tolerate some daytime losses as long as is doesn't 'wash-out' going from shade to bright sun; just need to see and identify the cars around me decently, not count their driver's hairs. I would forget to switch modes so I need one setting for everything :p

Almost ashamed to say it but mine is still on the firmware it came with but msetup has been upgraded- it's always worked good enough so I never 'fixed' it :rolleyes:

Phil

7. Dashmellow

United States
    Dash Cam:
    The effect of the low light setting is subtle but it does help a bit in low light. As you might expect, bright highlights will tend to blow out on a sunny day if set for low light. I wouldn't be inclined to use the low light setting during the daytime. The setting is kind of a little bump in the shadow detail in low light situations but it's not magic and will not turn the camera into a great low light performer or anything; that's not where the Mobius 1 strengths lie.

What version of the firmware are you using? The most recent is probably the best bet.

8. SawMaster

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Not sure, but I'll update it when I next pull the cam. I'll have something new soon to better handle the low-light needs (if the work here doesn't slow down) ;)

Phil