Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I think the mobius bitrate is 18000, option 1 is on the limit? Its write speed is 20mb/s
The Mobius records around 18Mbps - megabits per second.

The Samsung card has a write speed of 20MBps - megabytes per second

There's 8 bits per byte, so the card is nowhere near its limit

Class 4 was the original card recommendation from Mobius- not that you'll find any new ones these days ;) So any card we've discussed will be more than enough. The recommendations are mostly so you'll get compatibility, quality, and reliability- the speed is already there.

Phil

Hello again.

I received the two mobius and the two micro SD cards.
I used SDFormatter and h2testw. It's all right.

Now I want to format with guiformat.

What size should I select in allocation unit size?

Quick format on or off?

Thank you

Hello again.

I received the two mobius and the two micro SD cards.
I used SDFormatter and h2testw. It's all right.

Now I want to format with guiformat.

What size should I select in allocation unit size?

Quick format on or off?

Thank you
I recommend that you format the card in-camera using mSetup

I recommend that you format the card in-camera using mSetup
H2testw has left files on my SD card. I had planned to format with guiformat to FAT32 and then reformat the card into the camera with msetup.

Would this procedure be correct?

thanks!

I've formatted with mSetup

I'm testing with the camera.

Without disassembling the camera, how can I check that the lens is well focused?

the mobius lens is factory focused?

Without disassembling the camera, how can I check that the lens is well focused?

Connect the camera to your computer with a suitable USB cable and put the camera in "web cam mode". Point the camera at objects at various distances and see how it looks to you on your screen.

If you find that you need to focus the camera use the same method for focusing the lens. Personally, I use a three meter USB cable and point the camera out my office window to focus while looking at the computer screen.

Most web cam software will accommodate an external camera and should "see" the Mobius as an option once you set it to web cam mode. See the Mobius owner's manual if you need instructions on how to do that.

Connect the camera to your computer with a suitable USB cable and put the camera in "web cam mode". Point the camera at objects at various distances and see how it looks to you on your screen.

If you find that you need to focus the camera use the same method for focusing the lens. Personally, I use a three meter USB cable and point the camera out my office window to focus while looking at the computer screen.

Most web cam software will accommodate an external camera and should "see" the Mobius as an option once you set it to web cam mode. See the Mobius owner's manual if you need instructions on how to do that.

I recorded this video with AMCap at 1280x720. Can I have your opinion?
Lens c2 and updated to 2.41.

I notice that mobius less than 1 foot is observed somewhat blurry, in the video you can observe the letters.

At more than 20 meters the sharpness could be better, but, I do not know if it is the resolution (1280x720) or the bad approach.

You who have more experience sure you can help me

Thank you

I recorded this video with AMCap at 1280x720. Can I have your opinion?
Lens c2 and updated to 2.41.

I notice that mobius less than 1 foot is observed somewhat blurry, in the video you can observe the letters.

At more than 20 meters the sharpness could be better, but, I do not know if it is the resolution (1280x720) or the bad approach.

You who have more experience sure you can help me

Thank you

I think it looks OK but I can see where you might want to "tweak" the focus to be more optimal for how you use the camera. For example, if you wish to have farther away objects more in focus such as cars ahead of you in traffic you could move the optimal point of focus slightly farther away from where the lens is set now. The C2 lens is excellent but like most dash cam lenses it doesn't have the deep depth of field that some other lenses might. Each lens has what is called the hyperfocal distance. This is the point of focus that provides the optimal depth of field for your lens and your use of that lens. The depth of field is the range the lens can focus on simultaneously from the nearest object to the farthest object. The idea is to move that range closer or farther to meet your requirements.

Here is a graphic I made which I previously posted to another thread that may help you. The graphic refers to a variable focus lens from the thread Mobius 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 but the concept is exactly the same for focusing any dash cam lens including fixed focus M12 lenses like the C2.

FYI: The resolution has no effect on the focus of the lens.

hyperfocal-final-.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks OK but I can see where you might want to "tweak" the focus to be more optimal for how you use the camera. For example, if you wish to have farther away objects more in focus such as cars ahead of you in traffic you could move the optimal point of focus slightly farther away from where the lens is set now. The C2 lens is excellent but like most dash cam lenses it doesn't have the deep depth of field that some other lenses might. Each lens has what is called the hyperfocal distance. This is the point of focus that provides the optimal depth of field for your lens and your use of that lens. The depth of field is the range the lens can focus on simultaneously from the nearest object to the farthest object. The idea is to move that range closer or farther to meet your requirements.

Here is a graphic I made which I previously posted to another thread that may help you. The graphic refers to a variable focus lens from the thread Mobius 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 but the concept is exactly the same for focusing any dash cam lens.

FYI: The resolution has no effect on the focus of the lens.

View attachment 54716

Dashmellow, I have no words to tell you how grateful I am for your help.

I don't want to open the camera to adjust the focus because I'm afraid to break something.

I have 2 mobius to ride on the handlebars and saddle of my road bike for safety. I don't want beautiful landscapes or spectacular sunsets. The only goal for which you buy mobius is to identify license plates for dangerous drivers. I just want the license plates to look as clearly as possible.

If you consider that the right approach I will not touch anything else.

I only have two more doubts.

1- How can I protect the lens from the possible impact of some stone, gravel, insect?
2- In mSetup, advanced image options, I have not touched the settings, everything is in normal and by car. Should I leave it at that? Any adjustments that can improve the identification of license plates on sunny days, clouds - sun and clouds?

Thank you

Dashmellow, I have no words to tell you how grateful I am for your help
You're welcome!

I don't want to open the camera to adjust the focus because I'm afraid to break something.

It's not really difficult and you probably won't break anything. Basically, it is two screws on the camera housing and then you loosen the little hex screw on the lens and then focus and re-tighten.

See: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170910&postcount=4

1- How can I protect the lens from the possible impact of some stone, gravel, insect?

Yes, the issue of wind blown sand and road grit has been discussed time and again here on the forum. You would need to come up with a DIY approach since as far as I know there is no protective filter on the market these days for the Mobius.

A few of us have come up with methods to attach a polarizer to a Mobius using an extra lens cap. You could do something similar but instead use a clear filter in place of a polarizer.

Here is one I did for a Mobius Maxi. @TonyM and @Harsh and a few other members here have done their own versions but I don't have time to search for them because I need to get back to work but maybe they can post some examples?

Anyway, if you carefully cut a hole in a spare lens cap and glue a filter to it you can make a protective filter for your camera. You could even use an inexpensive polarizer instead of clear glass and replace it when it gets too dinged from wind blown road particles.

lenscaps_cpl.jpg

Maxi_cpl_2.jpg

Last edited:

I've been reading the topic that mentions @Harsh. The cpl filter improves the image substantially but for comments it also adds motion blur. On a bike where there is a big speed difference with the vehicles and you only have 5 or 6 frames to see the license plate this I do not know if it would be highly recommended.

I don't know what results Cpl can give with the wide-angle C2 lens.

So you have been able to experiment with cpl what is your opinion regarding this?

Plan B would stick a transparent glass 2mm thick. Possible reflexes?

Merry Christmas

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) mediante Tapatalk

A CPL in itself do not add motion blur, but as it do stop some light it can make the camera use a slower exposure, and that will introduce more motion blur.

When i use ND filters on my action camera it is always in fully manual mode, otherwise if left in automatic the camera will just move ISO around and so make the install of the ND filter useless.
In regard when people use ND filters it is to get a more cinematic look to the footage, which is motion blur.

I've been reading the topic that mentions @Harsh. The cpl filter improves the image substantially but for comments it also adds motion blur. On a bike where there is a big speed difference with the vehicles and you only have 5 or 6 frames to see the license plate this I do not know if it would be highly recommended.

I don't know what results Cpl can give with the wide-angle C2 lens.

So you have been able to experiment with cpl what is your opinion regarding this?

Plan B would stick a transparent glass 2mm thick. Possible reflexes?

Merry Christmas

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) mediante Tapatalk

You can buy a small UV or clear filter that could be mounted exactly like in the photo above or in @Harsh's link. They can be found on eBay and elsewhere online.

A small piece of clear glass, even a square piece with the cut lens cap glued to it should work fine as well.

One thing you may need to do is to make sure that whatever method you use is secure enough not to fall off the camera. There would likely be a lot of shocks and vibrations on a bike that you probably would never have to worry about with the same filter attached to a camera inside a car.

uv_filter.jpg

Last edited:
The biggest problem is that the camera does not record video properly. I've set my camera to record both audio and video. In the files that it saves the audio is fine, but the video is just a still shot that is kept across all recorded files for the duration of the driving. It's like the camera starts to shoot video, manages to store some frames and then the recording somehow brakes (or maybe the sensor; I don't know) leaving the rest of the videos having only that last frame printed on them. I tested it in webcam mode and a similar behavior happened: it started to display some video, but then the picture froze and didn't change. I disconnected it and tried again, but nothing happened.
Hello & please forgive me for reactivating such an old thread. I have not been on this forum for a long time & apologize for that too. Reason for my absence is that I have a Mobius which has performed so flawlessly that I've almost forgot about it. I'm Roger, 77 years old, reside in Paradise, Newfoundland & Labrador and I have had several Mobius cameras & love them. I can't remember what my forum name was but I did contribute for quite awhile and enjoyed every minute of it. Not even sure what I have now but I think it's a Mobius 2 with a "C" lens - I'm sure about the lens. The camera have work perfectly up until today. I've played with it, connected it to my computer reset the parameters & tried a few things to get it working again. Current reality that prompts my visit here today is that the camera "appears normal" when it's in the car - comes to life when I open car door, red light on rear is blinking, light underneath starts with the quick blue then turns to the blinking amber which is the normal process. We went for a long drive & the camera stayed on and appeared to be functioning as normal & expected. Upon arriving home I took the camera to my computer to view the results. There were a fair number of 5 minute clips and the audio was perfect. BUT, there was no video. ALL five minute frames showed only the very first image, which was a "still shot" of the front of our condo building.
I'd like to fix the problem (if I can) & would welcome any advice/suggestions that some may have to offer.
IF /IF it's seen better days (like me) & time to be retired (like me), that's fine - it has served me very well & I'd be only too happy to buy another one & reinstall it in my vehicle as a safety measure. My need for it "may" be even more needed as I age and my reflexes gradually slow down....
So, if no reasonably easy fix / solution, could some one kindly direct me to a trusted source to buy a new one - many thanks.
P.S. if anyone on the forum remembers who I am / was (user name) I'd love to get reacquainted with myself. Cheers = Roger (is how I usually signed off my posts).....

Hello & please forgive me for reactivating such an old thread. I have not been on this forum for a long time & apologize for that too. Reason for my absence is that I have a Mobius which has performed so flawlessly that I've almost forgot about it. I'm Roger, 77 years old, reside in Paradise, Newfoundland & Labrador and I have had several Mobius cameras & love them. I can't remember what my forum name was but I did contribute for quite awhile and enjoyed every minute of it. Not even sure what I have now but I think it's a Mobius 2 with a "C" lens - I'm sure about the lens. The camera have work perfectly up until today. I've played with it, connected it to my computer reset the parameters & tried a few things to get it working again. Current reality that prompts my visit here today is that the camera "appears normal" when it's in the car - comes to life when I open car door, red light on rear is blinking, light underneath starts with the quick blue then turns to the blinking amber which is the normal process. We went for a long drive & the camera stayed on and appeared to be functioning as normal & expected. Upon arriving home I took the camera to my computer to view the results. There were a fair number of 5 minute clips and the audio was perfect. BUT, there was no video. ALL five minute frames showed only the very first image, which was a "still shot" of the front of our condo building.
I'd like to fix the problem (if I can) & would welcome any advice/suggestions that some may have to offer.
IF /IF it's seen better days (like me) & time to be retired (like me), that's fine - it has served me very well & I'd be only too happy to buy another one & reinstall it in my vehicle as a safety measure. My need for it "may" be even more needed as I age and my reflexes gradually slow down....
So, if no reasonably easy fix / solution, could some one kindly direct me to a trusted source to buy a new one - many thanks.
P.S. if anyone on the forum remembers who I am / was (user name) I'd love to get reacquainted with myself. Cheers = Roger (is how I usually signed off my posts).....
I've yet to run into this myself so i can't speak from experience.
But troubleshooting it from webcam mode seems the easiest to see instant results.
Try to hit the reset button, sometimes it works.
Try to disconnect and reconnect the lens ribbon from PCB.
IF it still persist, and you have another mobius camera on your hands, try to swap the lens. If it fixed after swapping - its a problem with the lens module. If its not fixed - its problem with the PCB.
If it runs on battery - try swap/capacitor connected to USB power. faulty battery may cause loads of issues.

Back