Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

It seems cheap enough. You could just buy some and try it.

I wonder how different the the K-3022 is from the K-302 and if each may require a different curing method?

I see on AliExpress there is also a K-303 and K-3181 along with the K-300 in one of the photos I posted. I would imagine each of these UV cements must have different characteristics and perhaps curing requirements.

One vendor sells both the K-302 and K-303 as a bundle. I wonder what the difference is between the two?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...id=53560185-3ac8-4a2a-ad5f-2c58ff9ce336&tpp=1

I've asked for the exact part/variant number.
It looks to be K-302. This product is recommended for glass to metal bonding.

K-300 is recommended for a large area of glass/crystal bonding

K-3022 is recommended for metal/plastic, plastic/plastic, and plastic/glass bonding

K-303 is recommended for hard to bond plastics like PC, PMMA, PVC, ABS, PS, etc. Also can bond acrylic substrates, plastics to metal, and plastics to glass.

Mobius 2 with 4mm F1.2 lens

These are my initial results, compared to my other M2 with 130 deg standard 'A' lens, and a Mobius 1 with 6mm F1.2.

I observed that the 4mm F1.2 has gone soft on one side (right) in the distance. It did the same thing the first time I tried it on the F1 - GitUp F1 - 4mm F1.2 lens

M2 - 'A' lens
MOBIUS0000029.mp4_20180206_141242.320.jpg

M2 - 4mm F1.2
MOBIUS0000487.mp4_20180206_135037.840.jpg

M1 - 6mm F1.2
M1A_1879.MOV_20180206_143920.306.jpg

M2 - 'A' lens
MOBIUS0000029.mp4_20180206_141409.633.jpg

M2 - 4mm F1.2
MOBIUS0000488.mp4_20180206_135156.000.jpg

M1 - 6mm F1.2
M1A_1879.MOV_20180206_144112.346.jpg

IMO 4mm is too wide to be considered a telephoto.

I like how with the 6mm you still have a bit of the bonnet within the FOV.

IMO 4mm is too wide to be considered a telephoto.

I like how with the 6mm you still have a bit of the bonnet within the FOV.

I very much agree that 4mm is not a telephoto lens.

I too like to have some of the hood (bonnet) within the FOV as it provides a frame of reference to my vehicle if something happens. With a pick-up truck I tend to end up with more of it in the image than might be the case with a compact car but that can depend on how the camera is aimed on any given day unless I actually aim the camera using an LCD monitor. With my "experimental" Mobius and my current set-up, the aiming is sort of random depending on how I eyeball it everyday.

Edit: Also, as you can see here, I often find I like to aim the camera a little more towards the oncoming lane of traffic which I find useful on many of the two lane country roads where I live. With a secondary camera you can do things like that.

6mm ƒ/1.2
6mm_2_5_18.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I mean to use the thread locker to lock the lens for the case where you have no set screw. I though it more as for a semi-permanent installation as I would use it myself for, you know, set and forget dashcam application. The red Vibra-tite actually stays relatively soft and does not appear to flake off like the normal stuff that jackalopephoto mentioned.

Obviously, if you intent on swapping out the lens frequently, then it's not a good solution. Personally, I find that swapping lens to be a PITA, these small threads seem to be very delicate, I've already damaged one mount. I'd rather swap the sensor board instead of the lens when I want to experiment.

I have not yet found a source for just the mount used by Mobius. Most of the ones I see are 20 mm hole spacing instead of 18 mm. I should contact buymobius.com to see if they would sell me just the mount and not the entire lens+mount+sensor assembly.

Hi Radius8, I contacted BuyMobius about 3 months ago, to see if I could get the Mobius 1 lens mount without the lens, but the answer was no. I won't spend $27.?? for a lens mount!

Hi Radius8, I contacted BuyMobius about 3 months ago, to see if I could get the Mobius 1 lens mount without the lens, but the answer was no. I won't spend $27.?? for a lens mount!

Radius, I just got through messaging with a company on AliExpress, they have 18mm lens mount I asked for a "picture, quality M12 mount with 18mm hole spacing, all metal". I also suggested he put the item on AliExpress so others could buy. The Chinese are in their New Year Holiday at this time, so I requested a response when it is over.

@Dashmellow, If every thing go's OK we will now have access to All Metal M12 lens mounts with 18mm spacing. Is their anything in the design that is particular that we should be asking/looking for relative to the Mobius 1, such as the box height/size, whatever you can think of ?

@Lola , thanks for the info. I've sent an inquiry before reading your post.

M12Lenses.com sell holders of various hights with 18 mm spacing but I have not checked them out in details yet. Unfortunately, all the 18 mm ones are plastic. On the other hand, they are also pretty inexpensive (like $3 USD). CAD drawing available for most.

@Lola , thanks for the info. I've sent an inquiry before reading your post.

M12Lenses.com sell holders of various hights with 18 mm spacing but I have not checked them out in details yet. Unfortunately, all the 18 mm ones are plastic. On the other hand, they are also pretty inexpensive (like $3 USD). CAD drawing available for most.

I've been looking for them since the first day I saw the advantages of two different lens focal lengths in a view (wide and narrow). Sadly though I just couldn't find any all metal ones, and I will not use plastic, that would be like trading one problem for another because someone wants to save a few penny's! No Thanks!
I've sent inquires before to people/sellers in China who always said they didn't have any. So, I was actually surprised when the seller I mentioned above said he could get them, but after the Chinese New Year. I really hope he does have them or contemplating making some.
I did receive another message from him this morning after yesterdays message to him, he said he would be happy to respond after the Chinese New Year.

I would like to add that it is only going to become worse with the manufactures of the Mobius cameras starting to cut corners in it, to save a few cents and not answering other small problems like the power on latency problem. The company is making a killing selling them world wide, but people are going to stop buying if they don't start taking a responsible hold of their product. When's the last time they answered or interacted with questions about their product here on DCT!

Last edited:
Well, the stock Mobius lens mount is plastic and it does hold up pretty well. That said, they were not designed to be messed with, at least not with the frequency we are asking of them. I've detached/attached lenses only a few times on one of mine and I've already damaged the delicate threads. For sure, metal would be better but at least with a plastic mount, the weaker point will be on the mount and not the lens. Also, at $3 each (probably even cheaper on Ali), the plastic mounts are like a "disposable" item :).
In as far a making one, I, sure am not able to machine the M12 threads. On the other hand it may be easier to buy the much more common M12 metal mounts with 20 mm hole spacing and modify those to fit our 18 mm spacing sensor board. Not sure if the end result would fit in the stock Mobius case though.:unsure:

Well, the stock Mobius lens mount is plastic and it does hold up pretty well. That said, they were not designed to be messed with, at least not with the frequency we are asking of them. I've detached/attached lenses only a few times on one of mine and I've already damaged the delicate threads. For sure, metal would be better but at least with a plastic mount, the weaker point will be on the mount and not the lens. Also, at $3 each (probably even cheaper on Ali), the plastic mounts are like a "disposable" item :).
In as far a making one, I, sure am not able to machine the M12 threads. On the other hand it may be easier to buy the much more common M12 metal mounts with 20 mm hole spacing and modify those to fit our 18 mm spacing sensor board. Not sure if the end result would fit in the stock Mobius case though.:unsure:[/QUOTE

No, I didn't mean for us to machine/make new ones, I will tell the Chinese seller that there is a ready market for them if he has them made (if he can't supply).

I am getting the parts together to make a ball bearing mouse trap if you are interested ;):cool:

No, I didn't mean for us to machine/make new ones, I will tell the Chinese seller that there is a ready market for them if he has them made (if he can't supply).

Only a matter of them sourcing one from the supplier, they are readily available in the correct size, no need to get one that then needs modifying

I am getting the parts together to make a ball bearing mouse trap if you are interested

Sounds good :p

I was wrong about the Amazon 12mm lens, it does focus onto the sensor. I just screwed it in too much. I didn't get a good demo video but I'll post something. The field of view is of course about 50% wider than the 16mm

Here are a couple shots from the 12mm and then 16mm ScopeCam lens for comparison. The blurry area is a smudge on the windshield I think
SCO_0002.MOV_snapshot_37.08_[2018.02.08_21.25.58].jpg

Attachments

• SCO_0002.MOV_snapshot_28.23_[2018.02.08_21.30.28].jpg
    SCO_0002.MOV_snapshot_28.23_[2018.02.08_21.30.28].jpg
    330 KB · Views: 9
  • SCO_0027.MOV_snapshot_00.10_[2018.02.08_21.26.58].jpg
    SCO_0027.MOV_snapshot_00.10_[2018.02.08_21.26.58].jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 10
  • SCO_0026.MOV_snapshot_10.15_[2018.02.08_21.26.39].jpg
    SCO_0026.MOV_snapshot_10.15_[2018.02.08_21.26.39].jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 10
I tried the 6mm from the Amazon Cambase set and I think it's the perfect length for a "telephoto" supplemental dashcam. It's wide enough to get the vehicles passing. You can read some plates but it depends on heavily on speed. On this overcast day, it's too dark to read plates going the opposite way even at local road speeds so a wider aperture would be better. In my video you can see I turned the camera to the right to see how it would pick up cars parked at the hiking trail by the Pennybacker bridge, and they're blurry. Too bad you can't set a minimum exposure time on the Mobius

I just can't handle the speed of your video, it looks like a cartoon!

I tried the 6mm from the Amazon Cambase set and I think it's the perfect length for a "telephoto" supplemental dashcam. It's wide enough to get the vehicles passing.
So far my preferred telephoto lens is my 6mm F1.2, although I have yet to try my 8mm and 12mm lenses. As mentioned earlier, the FOV is just wide enough to keep a bit of the car in the frame to provide context to the video. As you say it is also wide enough to capture passing cars.

Back