Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Isn't that precisely what I said?

Didn't we just have a big general discussion on hyperfocal distances in this thread, and yet there is no real front to back sharpness here. It was intended to be a constructive comment. As for judging a videos sharpness, anyone can do that. They don't need to be in possession of the lens. Just compare this to Tony's shots and you can see the difference. That's not a criticism of Harsh, that's a constructive comment that the focus is good but could maybe be tweaked a little.

Maybe you should spend a little less time looking for negatives in other people's views.

@Harsh probably has more experience with a greater number of lenses on the Mobius than any of us and he has also likely published more video, still imagery and analysis than anyone here, all of it excellent, rather interesting and enlightening. I don't think he needs someone like you to come along and tell him how to go about focusing his lenses.

Compared with @Harsh or any of us for that matter you have never to my knowledge posted a single example of anything you've ever captured or created on any camera, much less the Mobius and we know that you have never owned any of the high end aftermarket lenses, or any of the lenses or cameras that you are constantly pounding the table about. And THIS is the reason why it becomes increasingly tedious listening to you constantly handing out learned opinions and advice to all of us.

@Harsh probably has more experience with a greater number of lenses on the Mobius than any of us and he has also likely published more video, still imagery and analysis than anyone here, all of it excellent, rather interesting and enlightening. I don't think he needs someone like you to come along and tell him how to go about focusing his lenses.

I never said he hadn't. I just commented that the video didn't appear perfectly sharp which is plain to see. I'm entitled to a view and to make constructive criticism.

I never said he hadn't. I just commented that the video didn't appear perfectly sharp which is plain to see. I'm entitled to a view and to make constructive criticism.

If you had any actual experience with this you would know that the issue you see in the screen shot has more to do with the way the Mobius 1 reacts to silver or white cars in bright, high contrast sunlight than any sort of focusing problem. And criticism that is unwarranted isn't constructive.

Last edited:
the issue you see in the screen shot has more to do with the way the Mobius 1 reacts to silver or white cars in bright, high contrast sunlight than any sort of focusing problem.

That sounds like some kind of dynamic range issue (never noticed it on my Mobius 1 but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), and you could just say that without being sarcastic or nasty to anyone who tries to post constructive feedback. I don't see Harsh complaining because he took it as it meant, helpful. This isn't you're private forum or thread in which you can choose who can post and who can not. When people try to post helpful comments it's helpful to respond nicely rather than behaving like a thread dictator. There are hundreds of members on here and everyone has a right to post comments in any thread.

That sounds like some kind of dynamic range issue (never noticed it on my Mobius 1 but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), and you could just say that without being sarcastic or nasty to anyone who tries to post constructive feedback. I don't see Harsh complaining because he took it as it meant, helpful. This isn't you're private forum or thread in which you can choose who can post and who can not. When people try to post helpful comments it's helpful to respond nicely rather than behaving like a thread dictator. There are hundreds of members on here and everyone has a right to post comments in any thread.

FYI, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being honest in my opinion that you frequently dish out advice about things you have no personal, hands-on experience with to people who do.

You have the right to say what you like on a public forum such as this and I've never suggested otherwise, as you falsely imply. It's simply that nobody likes an inveterate poseur.

I ended up ordering these two lenses on Ebay for approximately 6$ and 10$:

New IR Board HD 5mp 16mm 20° Angle LENS For CCTV IP Camera
Features:
1/2.5" 16mm 5mp 20° angle IR board lense for CCTV IP cameras has standard M12x0.5 thread, suitable for both 1/3" and 1/4" CCD chipsets, with an aperture of F2.0
Standard M12x0.5 thread
Image format for both 1/3" and 1/4" CCD
Specifications:
Angle of View: 20°
Focal Length: 16mm
Back Focal Length: 5.44mm
Format: 1/2.5"
F/No: 2.0
Mount thread: 12x0.5
Weight: 7g

Packaging included:
1× HD 1/2.5" 16mm Board IR Lens 5.0mp for CCTV IP Camera

Specifications:
Product type: IP Camera Lens
Mount: M12*0.5
Image format: 1/2
Mount: M12*0.5 IP camera
Focal-length: 25mm
Pixels: 5 million pixels
BFL: 9.33mm

IR night vision: Support

Suitable IP camera: For Gopro, for XiaoMi, for Firefly, for SJCAM and other IP cameras with M12*0.5 mount
Package size: approx. 10 * 7 * 2 cm/ 3.94 * 2.76 * 0.79 in
Package weight: 7g

Package List:
1 * 25mm CCTV Camera Lens

What is the approximate magnification effect on Mobius 1/2 from these lenses?

Are you planning to use these in the car?

For some reason I am not getting half of the posts in this and other threads and I can't figure out what is going on. Starting to believe it's Firefox.

I'm impressed with this lens as it seems to compare favorably with the 6-22 varifocal without the size or weight and like that lens provides good depth of field. Did this lens come with an installed IR-cut filter? If so did Fulkekan install it at your request?

I'm impressed with this lens as it seems to compare favorably with the 6-22 varifocal without the size or weight and like that lens provides good depth of field. Did this lens come with an installed IR-cut filter? If so did Fulkekan install it at your request?

Yes, very impressive. Was again getting shake with the Vairfocal today, it's the mount, after nearly two years it has stretched out a bit and the additional layer of foam didn't actually help. Ordered more helmet mounts, removing the Varifocal and putting back the 8mm till they're here.

Listing doesn't mention the IR-cut filter. Had messaged them before ordering and they agreed the install filters on both the 8 and 12mm at no additional charge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...For-1080P-4MP-5MP-IP/1862644_32792225850.html

Oops, the listing does mention - "1. This lens is without IR-Filter. If you need to used in action camera, car recorder, video doorbell, etc., pls buy IR-Filter in this link: 650nm IR-Filter"

Probably since I enquired before purchase they agreed to install for free. Wasn't anyway going to pay 3 bucks for a filter that other vendors installed at no additional charge.

Looks very good. I note the distortion figure is low which really shows in the quality of the video. Daytime, probably less obvious than at night, but in the day it's a little harder to judge the distance without a wide angle view to compare it to. At that price you can't go wrong.

I feel 8 mm are too much for the rear, or maybe i just dident test it long enough to get used to it.

Back