Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Since changing to a varifocal lens both front (6-22mm) and back (2.8-12mm) I admit I'm less excited by the fixed focal length telephoto lenses.

I prefer these to the Varifocals, mainly because of the size.

I haven't touched any of my fixed focal length lenses either for quite some time and prefer the varifocals too. In fact, I've just started using my 2.8-12mm ƒ/1.4 again on one of my Mobi.

For me, it's not the size, (which can be a drawback) it's that the results I get are superior to anything I was obtaining from the fast fixed focal length lenses. I've concluded that I'm happy to forfeit the faster lenses in favor of sharpness and greater depth of field.

I haven't touched any of my fixed focal length lenses either for quite some time and prefer the varifocals too. In fact, I've just started using my 2.8-12mm ƒ/1.4 again on one of my Mobi.

For me, it's not the size, (which can be a drawback) it's that the results I get are superior to anything I was obtaining from the fast fixed focal length lenses. I've concluded that I'm happy to forfeit the faster lenses in favor of sharpness and greater depth of field.

I think the Fulekan 5MP versions are pretty good, especially the 12, pretty close to what we've seen from the Varifocal.

As you have commented previously, I also like that the varifocals are so much easier to adjust focus, without having to take the case apart. That makes it possible to set the focus in the car, rather than pointing out of the office window.

Taking this CPL off. Like the image quality but the Mini series CPL is adding too much motion blur. Leave oncoming traffic, footage of cars whizzing past in the left or right lanes is also suffering. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Will try the glass from the SG CPL, should fit inside the holding ring from the Mini series CPL.

Will be interesting to see how the telephotos on the A129 do with the CPL on, being STARVIS and all.

Would have to see CPL and non CPL side by side, but neither of those videos look bad to me. With a CPL you are going to lose a couple of stops of light unless you make one from one of the HD range of CPL's where losses can be reduced to 1 stop. Ultimately, that might be the answer at night.

Would have to see CPL and non CPL side by side, but neither of those videos look bad to me. With a CPL you are going to lose a couple of stops of light unless you make one from one of the HD range of CPL's where losses can be reduced to 1 stop. Ultimately, that might be the answer at night.

I remember trying this CPL with the A118C, night-time videos were rubbish.

From what I've observed these telephoto lenses are not affected by glare and reflections as much as wide-angle lenses, not even close. Going to leave it off, not going to try the SG CPL. No point forcing the camera to step down and induce motion blur.

I remember trying this CPL with the A118C, night-time videos were rubbish.

From what I've observed these telephoto lenses are not affected by glare and reflections as much as wide-angle lenses, not even close. Going to leave it off, not going to try the SG CPL. No point forcing the camera to step down and induce motion blur.

The ability to see into the cabin of oncoming vehicles with virtually no reflections on their windshield can be of vital importance at times, especially for some of us. As I've often explained, I first became interested in dash cams because I was the victim of ongoing harassment and threatening driving behaviors from someone who became irrationally angry and out-of-control when I hired an attorney after a business contract was broken. I wish I had this capability years ago as it would have led to criminal charges sooner. As I see it, the slight increase in motion blur in some lighting situations seems quite acceptable in light of the benefits the CPL enabled telephoto provides, especially because I am simultaneously running a "normal" wide angle dash cam without a CPL.

The ability to see into the cabin of oncoming vehicles with virtually not reflections on their windshield can be of vital importance at times, especially for some of us. As I've often explained, I first became interested in dash cams because I was the victim of ongoing harassment and threatening driving behaviors from someone who became irrationally angry and out-of-control when I hired an attorney after a business contract was broken. I wish I had this capability years ago as it would have led to criminal charges sooner. As I see it, the slight increase in motion blur in some lighting situations seems quite acceptable in light of the benefits the CPL enabled telephoto provides, especially because I am simultaneously running a "normal" wide angle dash cam without a CPL.

I have two wide angle cameras in the front, one with and one without a CPL.

Point with the telephoto is to capture clear license plates at a distance, possibility of which reduces due to the added motion blur. As it is the FOV is so narrow and there's so much panning motion too, IMO any advantage gets outweighed.

I have two wide angle cameras in the front, one with and one without a CPL.

Point with the telephoto is to capture clear license plates at a distance, possibility of which reduces due to the added motion blur. As it is the FOV is so narrow and there's so much panning motion too, IMO any advantage gets outweighed.

As I said, the "point with the telephoto" might be not necessarily be to capture license plates but to capture the face and identity of the oncoming driver along with their gestures and behaviors. Personally, I find that license plate capture at a distance works quite well with a CPL, certainly far better than a typical dash camera. Motion blur increases the closer vehicles approach, but by then I've usually already captured it. At any rate, people should do what works best for their particular situation and requirements.

Last edited:
I keep switching my CPL between the front-facing Maxi with 6-22mm lens and rear-facing M1 with 2.8-12mm lens. I like being able to see into cars to see what the driver is up to, but at the same time I have noticed the extra motion blur. So far I have not made up my mind whether I prefer the CPL on or off with the varifocals.

I quite like the CPL on the rear camera as I often get drivers following very close behind me when I stick to speed limits driving through villages. Since there's not much relative speed difference between me and the following car, I can live with the slower exposure.

Up front, for the majority of my driving time both myself and the oncoming traffic are travelling at 50-60mph on two-way single-lane roads. For me, license plate capture takes preference over in-cabin visibility due to my recent experience. For front cameras I think I'm coming around to using the Maxi with its wide-angle F1.5 for plate capture, plus a Mobius 1 with (varifocal)telephoto & CPL alongside it. And the A129, with CPL.

A129 telephoto experiment didn't work, extension rings turned out to be useless. Need the lens to sit a few millimetres lower than the last point on the extension ring.

Getting perfect focus on holding the lens in front of the mount, loses focus the moment I start screwing the lens in. Only if the mount's barrel was longer by a few millimetres.

A129 telephoto experiment didn't work, extension rings turned out to be useless. Need the lens to sit a few millimetres lower than the last point on the extension ring.

Getting perfect focus on holding the lens in front of the mount, loses focus the moment I start screwing the lens in. Only if the mount's barrel was longer by a few millimetres.

Have you tried using two extension rings?

Also, you can buy M12 extension rings of different depths. HERE'S one that is 10mm deep.

Have you tried using two extension rings?

Just did after you post, didn't work.

Another ring causes vignetting and everything is blurrier. Need to get closer to the sensor, without an extension ring the mount falls short by a few millimetres and with the ring on I can't screw the lens far enough to get focus.

It's too short

129 - 1 (1).png

I'm a little confused about what your set-up is. I have extension rings that look like in this photo which is different than what I see in your photo. Maybe one of these would work? Also, a possible solution might be a installing different depth lens holder on the module.

xtring.png

I'm a little confused about what your set-up is. I have extension rings that look like in this photo which is different than what I see in your photo. Maybe one of these would work? Also, a possible solution might be a installing different depth lens holder on the module.

View attachment 40968

There's no extension ring in the photo, was showing how short the barrel is. The issue is correct focus is somewhere in between, can't screw it in any further.

129 - 1 (2).png

Yes, a holder with a longer barrel is what I need.

OK, thanks, now I get it. Yeah, a longer barrel should do the trick I think.

I have a couple of generic metal M12 holders but they're much bigger than what's used in the A129, the screw points and size differ.

I have a couple of generic metal M12 holders but they're much bigger than what's used in the A129, the screw points and size differ.

Looks like you're in for a visit to AliExpress where you'll likely find lens module barrels with the correct screw spacing. What is the spacing on the A129 lens module BTW?

Back