Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

@harsh I always like watching your videos.... Do lane markings mean anything in India? :eek:
I can see why you would want as many cameras as possible (y)

Has anybody seen these Mobius "scope cams"? They come in 16mm and 25mm. I'm thinking about getting one to supplement my 180 degree Garmin 65W https://www.buymobius.com/products/25mm-mobius-scope-cam

You could save yourself quite a bit of money by simply purchasing your own 25mm (or other focal length) lens as everyone else here in this thread has done. This will also give you control over which aperture lens you install which BuyMobius doesn't bother to inform prospective customers about. (or any other information about the lens for that matter)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...r-HD-CCTV-Camera-Lens/725056_32806270601.html

@harsh I always like watching your videos.... Do lane markings mean anything in India? :eek:

They do seem to wander around a bit from lane to lane, NASCAR drivers do that when a race starts to warm up the tires (early) which gains traction, however that seems to be a different situation:D.

Actually insurance works a lot differently here. Though 3rd party liability cover is included in all policies on a mandatory basis, the clause is rarely enforced. Even if it's the other person's fault, the company you're insured with ends up paying for the damage. In most cases a police report is not required.

I have cameras in the car to avoid the hassle of dealing with liars in case of an incident. I've been there before, not at all pleasant when someone is lying through their teeth, but as much as you want, you can't knock them in.

Has anybody seen these Mobius "scope cams"? They come in 16mm and 25mm. I'm thinking about getting one to supplement my 180 degree Garmin 65W https://www.buymobius.com/products/25mm-mobius-scope-cam

You could save yourself quite a bit of money by simply purchasing your own 25mm (or other focal length) lens as everyone else here in this thread has done. This will also give you control over which aperture lens you install which BuyMobius doesn't bother to inform prospective customers about. (or any other information about the lens for that matter)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...r-HD-CCTV-Camera-Lens/725056_32806270601.html

I've been using that 25mm F2.4 lens. It's a bit TOO close for dashcam use, but fun to experiment with.

I've been using that 25mm F2.4 lens. It's a bit TOO close for dashcam use, but fun to experiment with.

Yes, and as it is designed for a 1/2" format the telephoto magnification will be even greater than a 25mm designed for the 1/3" sensor Mobius. Still, if one wants to use it as an actual gun scope camera, it could be just the thing to capture rounds hitting a target.

Does give the tunnel vision effect especially on turns. An truer actual capture will be nice.

Actually insurance works a lot differently here. Though 3rd party liability cover is included in all policies on a mandatory basis, the clause is rarely enforced. Even if it's the other person's fault, the company you're insured with ends up paying for the damage. In most cases a police report is not required.

I have cameras in the car to avoid the hassle of dealing with liars in case of an incident. I've been there before, not at all pleasant when someone is lying through their teeth, but as much as you want, you can't knock them in.

Harsh you really got that last sentence right!! That is exactly what started me here, a little old lady just lying over and over in court!!!

12mm (1/2.5"), f/2.0

Night

A telephoto lens dash cam definitely makes for a very valuable auxiliary camera to go with a typical wider angle one. As good as this footage looks though one thing seems not to my liking, or I should say not to my preference. In my experimentation with the 12mm varifocal and so far more recently with the 6mm I find that having a small section of the car hood in the FOV is very important. If something should happen having a little bit of car hood in the frame explains and establishes the distance between the dash cam equipped car and the other cars or pedestrians. I think this is important because these telephoto lenses really tend to give the illusion that the dash cam vehicle is so much closer to other cars than it really is and I worry that could be an issue if the video is shown to another party who doesn't quite get that. So for me I try to tilt the camera down just enough to catch a little of the hood in the picture. Having a bit less sky hasn't been an issue and sometimes has improved the exposure in certain situations. Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.

Harsh, how do you ever survive the horrific smog conditions in Dehli? Every time you show us a new video it seems worse than before. Hope the just rolled out "Smog Cannon" works to good effect!

Last edited:
A telephoto lens dash cam definitely makes for a very valuable auxiliary camera to go with a typical wider angle one. As good as this footage looks though one thing seems not to my liking, or I should say not to my preference. In my experimentation with the 12mm varifocal and so far more recently with the 6mm I find that having a small section of the car hood is very important. If something should happen having a little bit of car hood in the frame explains and establishes the distance between the dash cam equipped car and the other cars or pedestrians. I think this is important because these telephoto lenses really tend to give the illusion that the dash cam vehicle is so much closer to other cars than it really is and I worry that could be an issue if the video is shown to another party who doesn't quite get that. So for me I try to tilt the camera down just enough to catch a little of the hood in the picture. Having a bit less sky hasn't been an issue and sometimes has improved the exposure in certain situations.

Definitely, can't be used as a standalone dash cam. With a shorter and slanted hood it's just not possible to bring it within the FOV without going too low. Couldn't do it with the 8mm either.

My thinking is, the wide-angle camera takes care of perspective and if it doesn't catch a number plate, there's a good chance of capturing it with the 12mm.

Harsh, how do you ever survive the horrific smog conditions in Dehli? Every time you show us a new video it seems worse than before. Hope the just rolled out "Smog Cannon" works to good effect!

I like Delhi and all but the air quality is indeed worrying, and it gets like this every year. Happens mostly due to stubble burning by farmers in HR and PB coinciding with bursting of firecrackers on Diwali. Following days of low wind speed and dust storm particulate matter from the Gulf didn't help the situation.

What you're seeing now is more of fog.

The water cannon. LOL. Don't get me started on Kejriwal and his minions doings. :rolleyes:

Definitely, can't be used as a standalone dash cam. With a shorter and slanted hood it's just not possible to bring it within the FOV without going too low. Couldn't do it with the 8mm either.

My thinking is, the wide-angle camera takes care of perspective and if it doesn't catch a number plate, there's a good chance of capturing it with the 12mm.

I like Delhi and all but the air quality is indeed worrying, and it gets like this every year. Happens mostly due to stubble burning by farmers in HR and PB coinciding with bursting of firecrackers on Diwali. Following days of low wind speed and dust storm particulate matter from the Gulf didn't help the situation.

What you're seeing now is more of fog.

The water cannon. LOL. Don't get me started on Kejriwal and his minions doings. :rolleyes:

I see your point about the sloping hood. I guess I was thinking more in terms of the hood on my truck. And I think you are right that having the wide footage tells the story even if the telephoto doesn't quite fully do that.

Yeah, that anti-smog cannon seems amusing. Even if it works the city would need thousands of them to clean up the air and the causes of the pollution problem would still exist. At least the cannon makes it look like the authorities and doing something. Kejriwal doesn't seem to have a good track record with the toxic smog business. Anyway, glad to hear we are seeing fog because the smog is already bad enough from what I've been reading about and seeing photos of over the last few months. Seems even worse than Beijing if that is possible.

Last edited:
Yeah, that anti-smog cannon seems amusing. Even if it works the city would need thousands of them to clean up the air and the pollution problem would still exist. At least the cannon makes it look like the authorities and doing something. Kejriwal doesn't seem to have a good track record with the toxic smog business. Anyway, glad to hear we are seeing fog because the smog is already bad enough from what I've been reading about and seeing photos of over the last few months. Seems even worse than Beijing if that is possible.

Don't know the exact numbers but was quite bad a couple of weeks ago, you could actually smell the dust and particulate matter in the air, everything was just hanging as there was hardly any wind blowing.

It's mere eyewash. This is all they could come up with while sitting on 780 crore rupees collected towards green tax.

Anyway I don't trust a man who received foreign dignitaries wearing chappals with a shirt and trousers.

not sure, Beijing is by far the most polluted place I've ever been to

Photos I've seen of the air in both places look pretty bad....and quite similar. They look like scenes from the Blade Runner films, especially the ones of skyscrapers glowing through the smog at night in Beijing.

Don't know the exact numbers but was quite bad a couple of weeks ago, you could actually smell the dust and particulate matter in the air, everything was just hanging as there was hardly any wind blowing.

It's mere eyewash. This is all they could come up with while sitting on 780 crore rupees collected towards green tax.

Anyway I don't trust a man who received foreign dignitaries wearing chappals with a shirt and trousers.

It can get pretty depressing to look at photos and read accounts of what is going on all over the planet these days and then see what the crooked politicians and greedy corporations do to enable it all. :( Don't these people have children and grandchildren they are concerned about?

The only time I've ever experienced anything like what you experience in Delhi is when we had a summer air inversion on a hot day during severe wildfires/forest fires in Canada. The sky was red, visibility was very poor, everything had a weird burnt smell sort of like wood smoke but with other stuff mixed in and it was hard to breathe. And we were about 1000 miles away from where it was happening. Then again, I used to live in New York City and once in awhile the air could get really, really foul but it was nothing like what we are discussing here.

Last edited:
Back