Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

Really looking forward to what you think about them, especially the 6mm ones. I was thinking they might make a great rear lens sense they would have more time then usual to get the rear vehicles plate number before the impact. Gruesome way to look at it though!

On the aspherical lens wouldn't the first lens be convex instead of concave?
I can confirm that the front element on the Treeye 6mm F1.2 is concave, which does seem odd.
This is a video clip of it as a rear view camera. I have since repositioned it but not yet checked the results. I've been far too busy with all the front facing cameras.

Yes, it certainly does suck. Even if I send them back there will be a huge delay until I get the proper lenses or a refund on my shipping. I will send them the photos of the lenses they requested and get them some prices on a couple of shipping options and see what they say.

Thanks for clarifying the IR filter question. Yeah, IR-cut filters are dichroic thin film coated and therefore appear different colors depending on the viewing angle of the light hitting them.

As for installing IR-cut filters on my own I've done it using glue but it is difficult and tricky and it is easy to damage both the filter and the lens. The fact is that IR-cut filters should be set with optical cement which is expensive and needs to be cured with UV light. I've even looked into purchasing some optical cement but it's not worth the investment to install just a couple of filters since you need to buy a minimum quantity and of course you still need the UV light source.

Good grief what a PITA! Is there any chance a local photography shop could install a couple cut filters for you reasonably ? I sure hope this doesn't end up in a bigger mess then it already is for you! Good luck and keep posting the outcome of this situation, some more of us are more then likely going to be in the same predicament someday!

When I do order, I'm going to ask for a provision in the contract that the manufacture is totally responsible if item not sent as descried and requested. That should/might help in ending some of this type of crap happening! If you end up needing a lock for the lens let me know and as soon as my order ( ordered 20) come in I'll send you what you need.

I can confirm that the front element on the Treeye 6mm F1.2 is concave, which does seem odd.
This is a video clip of it as a rear view camera. I have since repositioned it but not yet checked the results. I've been far too busy with all the front facing cameras.

Actually I like that, if that had of been a accident that guy wouldn't have had a chance arguing anything!

How many days did it take to get your lenses?

I'll try to answer your other questions when I have a little more time but it took exactly two weeks to the day from when I placed my order (11/11) for the first 6mm lens from Yumiki to that day it arrived in my mailbox here in New England (11/25). The TreeEye order placed the same day took an extra four days to show up.

Good grief what a PITA! Is there any chance a local photography shop could install a couple cut filters for you reasonably ? I sure hope this doesn't end up in a bigger mess then it already is for you! Good luck and keep posting the outcome of this situation, some more of us are more then likely going to be in the same predicament someday!

When I do order, I'm going to ask for a provision in the contract that the manufacture is totally responsible if item not sent as descried and requested. That should/might help in ending some of this type of crap happening! If you end up needing a lock for the lens let me know and as soon as my order ( ordered 20) come in I'll send you what you need.

I doubt that a local Photo store would even know what an IR-cut filter is and they certainly wouldn't be able to install one without sending the lenses out to a professional repair shop which would cost far more than what I paid for them in the first place.

TreeEye actually is responsible for what happened and AliExpress has a dispute mechanism in place if I wanted to go that route. They also have a feedback system similar to eBay. The fact is that so far they've been apologetic, very responsive, they accept that they screwed up and seem to want to find a way to make things right. It is indeed a PITA and I am very annoyed but I'm willing to work with them at least for now and see what happens. The fact that I ordered an alternative 6mm Starlight lens and have it installed in my camera makes the problem a little more tolerable for me. :)

This morning I unintentionally dropped melting ice into the path of a tailgater as we increased speed joining a dual carriageway (70mph). Recorded on my 6mm rear-facing camera.

When I left home 30min earlier this ice was stuck on the roof pretty hard, so I did not think it was practical to remove it before driving.

Last edited:
I'll try to answer your other questions when I have a little more time but it took exactly two weeks to the day from when I placed my order (11/11) for the first 6mm lens from Yumiki to that day it arrived in my mailbox here in New England (11/25). The TreeEye order placed the same day took an extra four days to show up.
That's not bad at all, some are waiting a lot longer.

This morning I unintentionally dropped melting ice into the path of a tailgater as we increased speed joining a dual carriageway (70mph). Recorded on my 6mm rear-facing camera.

When I left home 30min earlier this ice was stuck on the roof pretty hard, so it was not practical to remove it before driving.

Quite understandable, you did nothing wrong, darn tailgaters drive me nuts! You think there is any way I can artificially get some of that ice to stick on my truck :cool::D

When I left home 30min earlier this ice was stuck on the roof pretty hard, so it was not practical to remove it before driving.

I live in a region that endures a lot of snow in the wintertime and frozen snow or ice flying off the roofs of vehicles has caused damage, injury and even fatalities. The result has been that many states now have laws in place requiring drivers to remove snow and ice from rooftops, rear windows, fenders, etc., before driving off or you can be subject to traffic violations and stiff penalties. “Ice and snow, remove it before you go!”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/automobiles/19SNOW.html
'Ice missile' law hits drivers who don't remove snow
https://www.carpeylaw.com/blog/too-...w-from-you-car-you-could-be-breaking-the-law/

I live in a region that endures a lot of snow in the wintertime and frozen snow or ice flying off the roofs of vehicles has caused damage, injury and even fatalities. The result has been that many states now have laws in place requiring drivers to remove snow and ice from rooftops, rear windows, fenders, etc., before driving off or you can be subject to traffic violations and stiff penalties. “Ice and snow, remove it before you go!”

https://www.carpeylaw.com/blog/too-...w-from-you-car-you-could-be-breaking-the-law/
I live in a region where it snows about 1 day a year, so we don't have laws like that. Sure, common sense should apply. I cleaned all windows, lights & number plates before setting off, which is more than most people seem to manage around here.

You're absolutely right. I meant my comment in jest when it's not. I'm fairly sure their is a law concerning ice and snow accumulation on vehicles in Maryland. However I still hate tailgaters and believe they need some real shocks in their lives relative to their actions as AH's in the human race that do it because they like to disrupt peoples feelings and get a kick out of.

You're absolutely right. I meant my comment in jest when it's not. I'm fairly sure their is a law concerning ice and snow accumulation on vehicles in Maryland. However I still hate tailgaters and believe they need some real shocks in their lives relative to their actions as AH's in the human race that do it because they like to disrupt peoples feelings and get a kick out of.

Yeah, the climate in New England and Maryland (and the UK) are very different but tailgaters deserve to get hit with flying objects wherever you reside! :mad:

Once, driving at 65 mph out on a major highway I took a direct hit to my windscreen from a huge six inch thick slab of frozen snow and ice that came flying off the roof of a tractor-trailer out in front of me. Scared the pants off me and left a dent in my hood. :eek:

It's always a PITA to have to clean heavy snow off of my truck before heading off but I'm glad they passed the law requiring it.

I doubt that a local Photo store would even know what an IR-cut filter is and they certainly wouldn't be able to install one without sending the lenses out to a professional repair shop which would cost far more than what I paid for them in the first place.

TreeEye actually is responsible for what happened and AliExpress has a dispute mechanism in place if I wanted to go that route. They also have a feedback system similar to eBay. The fact is that so far they've been apologetic, very responsive, they accept that they screwed up and seem to want to find a way to make things right. It is indeed a PITA and I am very annoyed but I'm willing to work with them at least for now and see what happens. The fact that I ordered an alternative 6mm Starlight lens and have it installed in my camera makes the problem a little more tolerable for me. :)

Is there any news on what TreeEye is going to do for you on the lenses you ordered from them. I have been contemplating and order to them but prefer to see how they handle your situation when it is all their fault! From my perspective they should just replace your order correctly, because in the long run it is going to hurt there business more then a complete replacement. Don't let the situation rest to long, bug them about where your new lenses are, it pays to be polite but only for so long.

Is there any news on what TreeEye is going to do for you on the lenses you ordered from them. I have been contemplating and order to them but prefer to see how they handle your situation when it is all their fault! From my perspective they should just replace your order correctly, because in the long run it is going to hurt there business more then a complete replacement. Don't let the situation rest to long, bug them about where your new lenses are, it pays to be polite but only for so long.

I just heard back from Treeye yesterday with news that they will be shipping two new lenses out to me today with IR-cult filters installed! I give then very high marks for how they've dealt with this screw-up. They've been very responsive, friendly, haven't played games and have handled the matter honorably.

There was a slight but amusing delay in working out the resolution though. First they wanted me to get a price on shipping the lenses back to them but at $13.75 for the cheapest option they felt that was too much. Then they asked me to send them a photo of the lenses I received and so I sent them one shot under studio lighting on a seamless white background. I think they wanted confirmation that the lenses really didn't have IR-cut filters on them. Two days later the person I've been dealing with all along (her name is Nancy) requested another photo of the lenses shot on a table so she could show it to her manager for approval. So I sent them one shot on my kitchen table and asked why the previous photo was unsuitable. I didn't get an answer but instead received a "thank you" note two days later (yesterday) informing me that the new lenses would be shipped out the next day (today). I think there was a suspicion that the first image on the seamless white background perhaps may have been Photoshopped from something I found online so they wanted to see if I actually had the lenses (without IR filters) in my possession. :)

Last edited:
Tried the 4mm as rear cam but it couldn't even hold a candle to the A119S, took it off.

Ok that was a little harsh. ;)

Gave it another spin before checking out the 6mm, this time side by side with the A119S.

4mm (1/2.5"), f/1.2

Well lit (T3)

Intermittent streetlights

Dark

One way or another these fast, large aperture lenses seem to absolutely transform the low light performance of the Mobius, sometimes appearing almost as if the camera has a different sensor installed. While not quite in the realm of a Sony Exmor they really seem to breathe new life into this older platform. Thanks to these lenses, once again the Mobius (1) has proved itself to be the funnest, most interesting and versatile camera on the market.

The only drawback I've encountered so far with these lenses is that in certain very bright sunny conditions the highlights can become overwhelmed and blown out.

Last edited:
I just heard back from Treeye yesterday with news that they will be shipping two new lenses out to me today with IR-cult filters installed! I give then very high marks for how they've dealt with this screw-up. They've been very responsive, friendly, haven't played games and have handled the matter honorably.

There was a slight but amusing delay in working out the resolution though. First they wanted me to get a price on shipping the lenses back to them but at $13.75 for the cheapest option they felt that was too much. Then they asked me to send them a photo of the lenses I received and so I sent them one shot under studio lighting on a seamless white background. I think they wanted confirmation that the lenses really didn't have IR-cut filters on them. Two days later the person I've been dealing with all along (her name is Nancy) requested another photo of the lenses shot on a table so she could show it to her manager for approval. So I sent them one shot on my kitchen table and asked why the previous photo was unsuitable. I didn't get an answer but instead received a "thank you" note two days later (yesterday) informing me that the new lenses would be shipped out the next day (today). I think there was a suspicion that the first image on the seamless white background perhaps may have been Photoshopped from something I found online so they wanted to see if I actually had the lenses (without IR filters) in my possession. :)

That's great news and as it should be I should add. Strange on the photos, but it is what it is, I can understand that, they are just trying to protect themselves. There are some really strange cons going on in China, I get the impression making a dollar is very tough on them, one reason being so many cons being played on them.
I have talked to a lot of the resellers their and most of them go out of their way to be as nice as can be. Lately I have come to realize that the resellers have a problem (my opinion) imposed on them by something I don't understand. On lenses for example, they will have a basic set of things/information concerning something you are interested in and will not deviate from that information set they are evidently given. If you request additional information and it's not on something they have been given permission to talk about, you will not receive an answer or a not understanding answer that is confusing. I have gone through this time and time again, till it finally sunk into my brain that they were intentionally being limited in answers to give out.
Where as in this country you can talk and argue back and forth, I don't believe it is allowed there, I could be wrong but I don't believe I am.
My latest dealing with a lady about a lens was particularly this way, she was being as nice as nice can be but just refusedto say any thing about what I was asking. In the end I thanked her for her help (?) and told her a few things concerning lenses that people in he US wanted concerning dash cams. She went into a paragraph of thanking me and assured me the information I gave her would go forward to the company. So, to make a long story short, I now treat them differently, recognizing that they are doing the best that they can under some circumstances!

I have never talked (email) to Nancy but perhaps soon because I will probably place an order very soon.

Short story referring to cons and making a dollar . Did you know that nuts are a very big thing in China when they/some can afford them, so taking walnuts for an example, they carefully open them into 2 halves fill empty shells with an appropriate weight substance (rock, sand, whatever) reseal and sell as walnuts!!!! Now tht's a hard way to make money, think about it.

Thanks dashmellow for getting/sharing a happy ending to the lens problem.

UV Light?
Try these UV pens with "welding" inside.Not glue
https://www.gearbest.com/other-tools/pp_470643.html
"It is a super powered liquid plastic welding compound that you can use to make permanent seals and repairs quickly and easily
● Not a glue
● Fast and strong! Create an everlasting bond in just 5 seconds
● Only cures with UV light so you can position and reposition your repair
● Permanently repair plastic, metal, wood, glass and more"

UV Light?
"It is a super powered liquid plastic welding compound that you can use to make permanent seals and repairs quickly and easily
● Not a glue

I have some of that stuff and have considered it for installing IR filters. It might work, but it is a lot harder to control and work with than you might think. It's all too easy to ruin a lens and/or filter.
It might be worth trying it on an old lens or some other practice objects you don't care about and see how it goes. I may try it since I recently removed a couple of IR-cut filters from old lenses using a heat gun.

I'd prefer to have these lenses provided with professionally installed IR-cut filters if that's what you are told will be supplied with your purchase in the first place and reserve stuff like this for DIY projects.

Last edited:
UV Light?
● Not a glue

Thanks for the reply Matt, but on gluing a IR filter on I would much rather have a connection that was very firm yet removable. Those filters are very delicate so if something happened to the filter or if you wanted to remove it for photographic purposes I would want a substance that was easily removed.

However it seems it would be good for other things if one wasn't concerned about the things mentioned above. When reading the link at the bottom of the page, questions/comments, I couldn't make out whether you could seal the tool/liquid for later use on another project or it was a 1 shot deal. That could get rather expensive!

Back