Mobius Varifocal Zoom IR

Really interested in this setup you have going on the tripod and separate cam viewer. How are the pictures for dark sky viewing?

Not entirely sure of what you are asking here. Are you asking about using the camera in IR mode without an IR-cut filter installed or as a normal color camera with a IR-cut filter?

Either way, for "dark sky viewing" I'm not so sure this would be a viable approach. For all the great features and strengths of the original Mobius 1 camera, low light capture is not one of them. Perhaps the Mobius Maxi might work better for this purpose?

It might be helpful if you could elaborate a bit more about what you hope to accomplish as well as specifically what you mean by "dark sky viewing".

The only night sky object I would attempt to capture with the Mobius is the Moon, and that's not dark at all.

Really interested in this setup you have going on the tripod and separate cam viewer. How are the pictures for dark sky viewing?

BTW, as to your interest in the set-up pictured in my initial post #1 of this thread, that is very easy to accomplish with the Mobius. The camera was originally designed for use by FPV enthusiasts flying drones and remote control aircraft. The camera is usually supplied with an AV wiring harness (which can also be purchased separately). This allows the camera to be externally powered through its mini B-USB port while simultaneously outputting audio and video to any analogue device using RCA plugs. In my case I output the video and audio signals to a 7 inch LCD TV which has a 1/4-20 tripod mount built in.

Last edited:
Maybe the A119 V3 with a different lens on it like a starlight might do what he is interested in? It has an AV out port and a sensor more suited to his purpose.

Thanks for the quick responses gents, after reading a little more in the links provided, I think this may not be a solution I was looking for

Thanks for the quick responses gents, after reading a little more in the links provided, I think this may not be a solution I was looking for

As I said in my first reply to your question, it might be helpful if you explained what you are interested in accomplishing, such as what you mean by "dark sky viewing"? You might get more useful advice from members here if you were to do that.

@Dashmellow Somewhat off-topic for DCT, but I thought you might find this interesting.

I was browsing eBay for used Mobius cameras and came across this one in Italy that has been modified for near-infrared photography using an 'infrablue' filter:
Mobius ActionCam - Used - Modified for Near Infrared Camera

Information links here:
https://publiclab.org/wiki/near-infrared-camera

That's very interesting. I've had more fascinating fun messing around with Mobius cameras than practically any other, regardless of cost.

There was a web site I used to visit that I found quite fascinating. I don't recall the name of the company and I can't seem to find the link at the moment. I don't even know if the company still exists, but it was an outfit that sold highly customized action cameras that were designed with specialized lenses and various types of IR and UV filters along with custom firmware that were used in drones for monitoring agricultural acreage, forestry and certain types of urban information gathering. NVDI is a big thing now! Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) is an index of plant “greenness” or photosynthetic activity. You may have noticed that the IR Mobius for sale on eBay is set up for NVDI. Farmers now use such drones to monitor the progress and health of their crops and professional foresters do much the same. Urban planners use IR drones to monitor heat loss from homes and businesses and other thermal and vegetative aspects of cities.

The fascinating thing was that all of the cameras the company sold were clearly Gitup cams both Git 1 and Git 2 models at the time, although there was no mention of Gitup on the site or on the cameras. They must have had some arrangement with the company to buy, repurpose and sell their cameras.

I've been fascinated by infrared photography since I was a kid when I started experimenting with B&W IR in my home darkroom that my dad built for me. Nowadays, there is quite a lot of interest in color IR because of all the cool things you can do with it.

Check out LifePixel.

They do DSLR camera conversions (and drone conversions) including IR options, Full Spectrum, UV, NDVI, H-Alpha, or will remove and replace Anti-Aliasing filters. They offer workshops, tutorials and all sorts of other related resources for this kind of work.

Last edited:
I did do some reading on NDVI and various camera modifications after finding that Mobius. It's not really my cup of tea, but I do find it interesting.

Used ones come up for sale occasionally and I was hoping to expand my collection. I'll keep looking.

Here it is their thread on the mobius
Funny they were smashing the IR filter to convert the mobius to IR instead of sourcing a lens w/o it.
On the subject of varifocal lens there is another (albeit pricey) 5-50 lens, w/o and with IR Filter

Attachments

• 5-50 lens.jpg
    5-50 lens.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 6
Funny they were smashing the IR filter to convert the mobius to IR instead of sourcing a lens w/o it.
Removing the IR filter will be cheaper than buying a new lens, although to be fair a new lens can be had these days for not very much - unless you want a 5-50mm varifocal!

Idiots! Application of some heat with a hair dryer and the IR filter will pop right off.
On the subject of varifocal lens there is another (albeit pricey) 5-50 lens, w/o and with IR Filter

I've had my eye on that lens for some time now, trying to decide if I want to spend that kind of money. It would be great for surveillance duty and wildlife observation on my property where I can see hundreds of yards in any direction from my house, but it would, of course, be useless for dash cam duty.

Hi, everyone--

I bought the 2.8-12mm varifocal lens from the original post (or a newer version of the same lens since mine says "5megapixel" on the label).

A few questions about how to install it in the Mobius 1. For reference, I have a genuine Mobius 1 with A2 lens module. It has the longer plastic lens holder with grub screw.

The main problem is that the varifocal lens has to be screwed in further than the factory camera housing and lens holder allow.

1) Is it better to switch to a different lens holder that brings the sensor forward, towards the front of the camera? Such a lens holder would have to have a short square base less than 3.4mm tall (including thickness of the sensor PCB).

2) Or, am I going to have to cut the plastic notch out of the inside of the camera housing so that the lens holder can slide forward by about 4mm?

3) Or, is it better to cut off the front of the Mobius housing so that the entire lens can be screwed further back into the camera housing (probably a very bad idea, but I'll raise it anyway)?

4) Or, is it possible to file the lens holder down so that it can fit in the forward slot without having to cut the plastic notch mentioned in 2)?

5) Or, is it best to simply buy a different varifocal lens with a different focal length?

2) and 3) are irreversible--I don't like them. Seems it would be better to buy a new 18mm M12 lens housing that has a shorter square base, allowing it to sit further up.
4) is bad because filing down the lens holder is irreversible, but it is less difficult to get a lens holder than it is to replace a botched Mobius 1 housing.

What are you guys doing to solve this problem?

I suppose if I had a 3D printer, what I'd do is print a new top half of the camera housing (the side with the buttons that has the slots that can be cut out in 2)).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
@dchang0, are you sure you have a ƒ1.4 - 2.8mm to 12mm Varifocal? I'm not aware of that lens being available in 5MP. That lens is typically available only in a 3 Megapixel version. (unless there is a new version I don't know about)

Perhaps you are referring to the 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6?

I don't have time at the moment to answer your questions but you may find some answers in the other thread I just linked above.

One thing - You shouldn't need to do anything but screw the lens into the camera tightly regardless of which lens holder is in there and then focus and zoom as you please. The beauty of a varifocal is that it is indeed, um, varifocal. So you should be able to focus it no matter how far away the rear lens element is from the sensor (within reason). You don't need to alter the housing. In fact, with the varifocal lenses that's the last thing you'd want to do.

@dchang0, are you sure you have a ƒ1.4 - 2.8mm to 12mm Varifocal? I'm not aware of that lens being available in 5MP. That lens is typically available only in a 3 Megapixel version. (unless there is a new version I don't know about)

Perhaps you are referring to the 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6?

I don't have time at the moment to answer your questions but you may find some answers in the other thread I just linked above.

One thing - You shouldn't need to do anything but screw the lens into the camera tightly regardless of which lens holder is in there and then focus and zoom as you please. The beauty of a varifocal is that it is indeed, um, varifocal. So you should be able to focus it no matter how far away the rear lens element is from the sensor (within reason). You don't need to alter the housing. In fact, with the varifocal lenses that's the last thing you'd want to do.

I'm glad I asked and got your response. Here I was about to start cutting the camera housing or lens holder...

I don't really know for sure if this lens is legit 2.8mm to 12mm. It's just a foil sticker that could have been stuck on anything.
I tried the lens at both extremes of focal length and it doesn't work unless it is screwed about 4mm further into the lens holder.

Hmm. Perhaps it is time to return this and try a different seller... I got this on Amazon (quicker shipping from the USA) and not TREEYE on AliExpress...

I'm glad I asked and got your response. Here I was about to start cutting the camera housing or lens holder...

I don't really know for sure if this lens is legit 2.8mm to 12mm. It's just a foil sticker that could have been stuck on anything.
I tried the lens at both extremes of focal length and it doesn't work unless it is screwed about 4mm further into the lens holder.

Hmm. Perhaps it is time to return this and try a different seller... I got this on Amazon (quicker shipping from the USA) and not TREEYE on AliExpress...

Can you post a photo of the lens?

Back