Mobius

This converter is a great idea, but I think the conversion part is too close (6cm) from the MiniUSB connector. :(
For the Mobius the 90 degrees angle must to be in the way it covers the MicroSD card, not outside from camera.
But the best can be the up angle mini USB
USBAMBXMU.main.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

I was under the understanding that the Mobius could be set to record at different bit rates. See "Video Data Rate, "Low", Standard" & "High".

if that's the case then people using them as dashcams should think about dropping the bitrate down a bit to help with the heat

Reactions: Mtz
This converter is a great idea, but I think the conversion part is too close (6cm) from the MiniUSB connector. :(
For the Mobius the 90 degrees angle must to be in the way it covers the MicroSD card, not outside from camera.
But the best can be the up angle mini USB
USBAMBXMU.main.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Because i do not pull out microsd card that often, it does not disturb me if mini usd L shape connector covering slot, but your choice is good for front camera, however i could not find it with 12v to 5v converter option.
Also with your suggested can not mount in rear, if mounting Mobius to the rear brake light.
But of course different cars - different options.

if that's the case then people using them as dashcams should think about dropping the bitrate down a bit to help with the heat

In practice comparing 18mbps mobius to ls300w 15mbps I did not see much differences in video quality, so setting mobius to 15mbps would be a good opportunity to lower down overheating, this is theory. Never tested in real life.

In practice comparing 18mbps mobius to ls300w 15mbps I did not see much differences in video quality, so setting mobius to 15mbps would be a good opportunity to lower down overheating, this is theory. Never tested in real life.
the design of the DOD would be a bit better with heat, the Mobius is very cramped, 18mbps is really pushing things given the small form factor

the design of the DOD would be a bit better with heat, the Mobius is very cramped, 18mbps is really pushing things given the small form factor
For RC group users 18mbps for average video lenght recording 10 - max 20min outside in the free air is fine.
For in-car dash cam use is different story.

For RC group users 18mbps for average video lenght recording 10 - max 20min outside in the free air is fine.
For in-car dash cam use is different story.

they could manage this by having the bitrate limited if set for car use, auto start or recycle mode etc could be used as a setting to restrict the bitrate, maybe some people wouldn't like this but a molten camera is of little use either, need to be realistic about the application

they could manage this by having the bitrate limited if set for car use, auto start or recycle mode etc could be used as a setting to restrict the bitrate, maybe some people wouldn't like this but a molten camera is of little use either, need to be realistic about the application

Thats another great idea: if powered on / triggered by ignition, then records at one set bit rate, if manually then by another bit rate.

Yes, but these separate settings to be available from the GUI.

This is my night video about WDR:

enjoy,
Mtz

From a standpoint of video quality, 18Mbps is a bit of overkill. I'm glad it's offered, because if you were shooting a video for release, you want to keep the compression noise to a minimum. I could see the RC People shooting at 18 Mbps for the highest quality footage for editing.

The standard 15Mbps compression will do nicely for driving footage. You'd never notice the difference in the day and maybe some compression noise will slip through in the night footage. The random noise generated at increased gain for night causes some problems with compression.

I'm going to guess that the low data rate is 12Mbps. Even 12Mbps isn't too bad as far as image quality. While I don't have a Mobius yet, I did test bit rate with other cameras. I found that 13Mbps and even 6Mbps holds up reasonably well to compression.

13Mbps test:

6Mbps test:

Bob Diaz

They can make the Mobius a little thicker, i don't think anyone will mind if its to fit the capacitor in.
while they are at it, they can also put a heatsink that works a little better, and call it Mobius: DashCam Edition.
As long as the mounting line of the case is at the same height (from the bottom), i don't see why it wouldn't work.

I don't understand all this talk about parking mode really. parking mode / motion capture requires battery, and we want to replace the battery with a capacitor, so thats not going to work is it?

90 degrees / L shape USB connectors will be great. I don't pull my SD card out either. I don't think anyone using the Mobius as a dashcam does. Maybe just for the first few days to check out the footage and how nice it is, but nobody is actually watching it like its a movie. We only need to pull the SD once we record something worthwhile.

and for last - can any of the sellers confirm the optimal expected life cycle of the battery used in the Mobius?

Parking mode requires permanent power, having a device in a parked car with a lipo battery permanently powered has some inherent risks

90 degrees / L shape USB connectors will be great. I don't pull my SD card out either. I don't think anyone using the Mobius as a dashcam does. Maybe just for the first few days to check out the footage and how nice it is, but nobody is actually watching it like its a movie. We only need to pull the SD once we record something worthwhile.

Having OTG cable will do the job of viewing / copying / set-up, etc. via ANdroid phone.
So with OTG cable I practically very rare need to pull out microsd card.

Yes, but these separate settings to be available from the GUI.

This is my night video about WDR:

enjoy,
Mtz

Great comparison video. At hte beginning I did not see much difference, but later starting comparing "side-action". When WDR is on, I can see more of a buildings on the sides, more detailed trees etc.

Reactions: Mtz
I have a smaller mount from another camera which can be used with Mobius and my sugestion to the developer is to sell also a much smaller mount like the one from 808 #26.

These days I will post some pictures regarding these mounts, my actual ultra-mini-mount (for another camera) and in the future I hope to find a solution also for Mobius. Also a 90 degrees USB cable could be a better thing.

enjoy,
Mtz

I would appreciate seeing your pictures. I installed mine yesterday. It's fixed to the headlining using 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape SJ4570.

The adhesive grip on the headlining is much weaker than the tape to tape bond, so this is a temporary fix, & I'll have to find a better fixing. I do like the location ... near invisible from outside. I took several photos from outside, but reflections rendered them useless.

CIMG6216.JPG CIMG6218.JPG

They can make the Mobius a little thicker, i don't think anyone will mind if its to fit the capacitor in.
while they are at it, they can also put a heatsink that works a little better, and call it Mobius: DashCam Edition.
As long as the mounting line of the case is at the same height (from the bottom), i don't see why it wouldn't work.

I don't understand all this talk about parking mode really. parking mode / motion capture requires battery, and we want to replace the battery with a capacitor, so thats not going to work is it?

and for last - can any of the sellers confirm the optimal expected life cycle of the battery used in the Mobius?
The capacitors fit into the existing case perfectly, so there's no need to make the Mobius any thicker than it already is. It wouldn't make much difference in heat dissipation either. Actually, it may even make it worse!
Heat needs to be transported to the outside. Making a thicker heatsink inside a thicker casing would most likely make the inside hotter than the current design. An all-metal case would be the better solution but not if the casing is exposed to direct sunlight where it would do exactly the opposite as to what it's supposed to do :eek:.
There's no way we can have a tiny, cramped design, that will work in extreme heat without some form of active cooling. It just can't be done. If heat is a problem, then larger cameras specifically designed for dashcam use should be used. Small designs without any active cooling just won't work in extreme temperatures.
Adding an external, finned, heatsink is the most effective solution to dissipate heat away from the DSP. The fins maximize the surface area in contact with the surrounding air. The external temperature must, obviously, always be lower than the internal temperature. The more air flow the better. If someone does this, remember that the bonding thermal adhesive must be as thin as possible in order to maximize heat transfer. Only use specially designed adhesive.
As it is, the Mobius should work fine so long as the surrounding temperatures don't exceed ~47°C (118°F) - that's the temperature inside the car, not the outside temperature ;). These high temperatures are, however, not good at all for the internal battery and that's where the Supercap is the better solution.

Given we had some 47c days in Sydney last summer I'm thinking this is not ideal

I agree, the Mobius is far from ideal in these environments. It wouldn't last very long unless you have the AC cooling it, and you can forget motion detection (not currently implemented) when the AC is switched off.
Purely out of interest, do any 1080p dashcams without active cooling work with temperatures around ~47°C?

Active cooling means some fan? I have many dashcams and in this summer I tested the Hyundai R700, the Itronics ITB-250HD and the Livue LB300 and I didn't have any problem during the whole summer and my car is running all day under direct sun all summer. Here is a video about the mount of these 3 dashcams.
The video was recorded by the ITB-250HD at 6000kbps and this is the only available bitrate for its 720p recording resolution. But this camera was more protected from direct sun. More than 100 summer days it was working perfect without any missed video. All cameras were in auto power on mode.

There's no way we can have a tiny, cramped design, that will work in extreme heat without some form of active cooling. It just can't be done.
I am interested from about a year also about the Android TV sticks and I saw many of them have a lot of holes just for head dissipation and for example for the MK908 model was released the MK908II model which have more vent holes (not the holes was the reason of release, but an external antenna). Your idea about the heatsink outside dissipation is good, but couldn't some smart holes to help more?
Regarding the metallic case, I have also the 808 #26 which have a metallic case and it is very hot, sometimes I don't know if I can keep it in my hand, but at least I can keep it, but the Mobius heatsink is much cooler than the whole metallic case of #26. Comparing these 2 cameras temperatures I don't understand why people are worried about the Mobius heat. Of course I saw some youtube video with some melted Mobius and another strange thing is that I suppose that camera didn't came from a dashcam usage.

Another thing is that I would prefer the heatsinks to be black, not silver. But maybe adding some black paint will stop some heat dissipation?

I installed mine yesterday.
I the past I was testing the velcro with a 808 camera, but I don't like it because:
- the camera was not perfectly fixed and is vibrating
- one part of velcro must be sticked to the camera. I want it "clean".
But your mount is the smallest possible and I like it for this. Also we can see that the actual USB solution is good for your setup.

I will open a thread about Mobius mounting solutions.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I would appreciate seeing your pictures. I installed mine yesterday. It's fixed to the headlining using 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Tape SJ4570.

The adhesive grip on the headlining is much weaker than the tape to tape bond, so this is a temporary fix, & I'll have to find a better fixing. I do like the location ... near invisible from outside. I took several photos from outside, but reflections rendered them useless.

View attachment 1562 View attachment 1563

Can you adjust the vertical tilt of your Mobius? If not, the cam may be pointing too high up at the sky which can affect the the brightness of

Back