Mobius

I don't know which generation/type of lens I have because mine is a little different from Isoprops. But for sure is not the lens posted on JooVuu site where the lens are outside of the camera. I don't want that lens, I don't care about what angle it can offer, I like more mine.
After my experience with 808 #16 I know the developer will improve the Mobius firmware. Unfortunately for us, the RC voices are stronger than our dashcam users voice so I expect the firmware improvements to be made in their favor. Of course, most of the things are common, but some are different.

enjoy,
Mtz

Reactions: Jim
I don't know which generation/type of lens I have because mine is a little different from Isoprops. But for sure is not the lens posted on JooVuu site where the lens are outside of the camera. I don't want that lens, I don't care about what angle it can offer, I like more mine.
After my experience with 808 #16 I know the developer will improve the Mobius firmware. Unfortunately for us, the RC voices are stronger than our dashcam users voice so I expect the firmware improvements to be made in their favor. Of course, most of the things are common, but some are different.

enjoy,
Mtz
Hey, hey, hold on :eek:
The developer investigated the Supercap idea for dashcam use. RC users don't need Supercaps. The auto-power-on and auto-power-off was/is also designed for dashcam use. OK, the auto-power-off support for the Supercap is coming in the next version but it's coming before other functions requested by RC users :D.

You are most probably right that the RC voices are stronger, but that doesn't mean the developer isn't interested in your (plural!) ideas. I believe he's interested in any good ideas that can be implemented using the current hardware design which will make the Mobius more flexible. Like I previously posted, a lot more functionality is in the pipeline, but this takes time and I know some functions aren't trivial to implement.

Our lens modules should be the same. There are a few different versions of the CMOS casing and ribbon cable, but the actual lens (the 7 glass layers) and CMOS are identical. The developer is most likely just trying to find the best (strongest) solution.
The quality of the wide-angle 'B' lens is excellent, but it does have a different color spectrum than the normal lens. There will be a new setting in the next firmware version where it will be possible to set the type of lens installed.

I prefer the standard lens (85 deg HFOV), but bought the wide angle lens (116 deg HFOV), as it's more useful for dashcam purposes.

Here's a 2 minute clip showing how the wide angle copes in a multi-storey car park environment (Video Data rate = Low)...

https://mega.co.nz/#!FB9nDZJa!G4fUX0UXj12GiI5YVxlfIF5jJgEmmUxHjRYH9iXJThU

I'm happy I bought a Wide Angle Mobius. Early days but, so far, it's been a hassle-free experience.

Reactions: Mtz
The white is amazing. Also I like the colors in the parking. Outside is not too much recorded video, but I can say I like your lens for a dashcam and I feel the good quality. When firmware will be improved I think we will have a great camera as dashcam at least regarding day video quality. :rolleyes:
You are most probably right that the RC voices are stronger, but that doesn't mean the developer isn't interested in your (plural!) ideas.
OK, started here the Mobius requests. I hope users will come with good ideas. :cool:

enjoy,
Mtz

The white is amazing. Also I like the colors in the parking. Outside is not too much recorded video, but I can say I like your lens for a dashcam and I feel the good quality. When firmware will be improved I think we will have a great camera as dashcam at least regarding day video quality. :rolleyes:

OK, started here the Mobius requests. I hope users will come with good ideas. :cool:

enjoy,
Mtz
Just an idea, but it may be a good idea to also put your link in your first post. That way your wish-list can easily be found and doesn't need to be bookmarked. You may also want to put a link to this thread from your wish-list.

I prefer the standard lens (85 deg HFOV), but bought the wide angle lens (116 deg HFOV), as it's more useful for dashcam purposes.

Here's a 2 minute clip showing how the wide angle copes in a multi-storey car park environment (Video Data rate = Low)...

https://mega.co.nz/#!FB9nDZJa!G4fUX0UXj12GiI5YVxlfIF5jJgEmmUxHjRYH9iXJThU

I'm happy I bought a Wide Angle Mobius. Early days but, so far, it's been a hassle-free experience.

This is really strange, ALL other Mobius video files were 100% compatible on my MAC. Almost all the video programs on my MAC do NOT like this video file. Something has changed in the format of the file that causes the MAC Software to fail and give a "bad format video" error message. I can only find one program that will work with this file. Something is very different with this format.

Is this part of their changes to the software (firmware)???

Bob Diaz, Mtz and jokiin, don't worry about the 720p "Zoom" (Angle Of View). You'll be able to select between a Small and Large AOV for both 1080p and 720p in the upcoming FW version which is just around the corner. However, the DSP can't handle a large AOV with 720p@60fps, so if you use 720p@60fps you'll always have the small AOV.

There are many more functions planned for future releases, but these will take a long time to implement. It's becoming all but impossible to correctly test all the different combinations and it's extremely time consuming. As Tom (from RC groups) has posted many times, the next major release will include the WB and color settings similar to the #16, but that is still a long way away. There has also been a delay in FW development due to the Chinese National Day holiday week. The developer has TONS of ideas thanks to all the input from RC groups. He's so devoted to the Mobius project that I'm sure he'll implement everything that's possible, but these things take a tremendous amount of time and the developer only has limited resources.

For a cam camera, 720/60p is NOT important; however 720/30p is a nice option to have.

Thanks,

Bob Diaz

For a cam camera, 720/60p is NOT important; however 720/30p is a nice option to have.

Thanks,

Bob Diaz

Hi Bob, I'm interested in your thoughts on 720p, what's desirable about it when the camera does 1080p?

Have a reason for asking but interested in your feedback first

There are only 2 reasons for 720/30p when the camera does 1080/30p:

(1) Smaller file size; thus longer time per memory card and a lower data rate to the card.

(2) Less noise in night shots; when pixels are averaged together 3x3 --> 2x2, the noise in night shots drops a bit.

Is it that important? No, it's just a nice to have feature. If Mobius said, "Forget it, not possible!!!", OK I understand and the camera will do what I want anyway. So it does not really kill the sale of the camera.

I understand that 1920x1080/30p has 2.25x more pixels than 1280x720/30p, thus more detail in the shot. So 720/30p is just a user selected trade-off decision.

I wrote a post about my feeling about zoom for 720p mode.
Also the 60FPS mode contains duplicate frames. So if I have a 60FPS recording and want to convert it to 30FPS, SelectEven() in AviSynth will do the job.

Here is my 720p comparison between 30fps and 60fps in night mode. I used two cameras at the same time.
Top video was recorded at 30FPS, WDR Off
Bottom video was recorded at 60FPS, WDR On
I understand that actual 720p mode is experimental so this is the reason why this video is unlisted on my Youtube channel.
Because of duplicate frames, for now is no advantage to record at 60fps, just space wasted.

Here are few frames from the original video. Just the container was changed from MOV to AVI, nothing encoded.

And two screenshots from the same videos:
720p30fpsNoWdr.png 720p60fpsWdr.png

Here are another two screenshots, using the same camera, but first is at 720p#30FPS and second is at 1080p@30FPS>
720pNoWdr.jpg 1080pNoWdr.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
reason I ask is I'm considering pulling 720p and just having 1080p only (I already deleted the other useless resolutions) but offering a selectable low bitrate option if people want to save file space, we're doing dual memory card models so I don't see space as a major reason anyway but just trying to get some feedback from others on when and why you would want to use 720p mode

Settings are in the file names and the screenshots are from the same video which was uploaded on YouTube and described few rows above.
Left: 720p 30 FPS No WDR, Right: 720p 60FPS WDR.
But again, this will be not the final night recording quality of Mobius, because it will be improved.

The second screenshots comparison (added a little later) are showing to you why is better 1080p than 720p.
If offering lower bitrate for 1080p I think is better than offering 720p with a good bitrate. I don't know how the dashcams firmwares are working regarding the codec, but at low bitrates maybe is better to add some grain (H264 specs) to avoid macroblocks. Personally I don't like grain, but when it is needed I accept it.

Please don't confuse grain with noise or something like bad quality. The movie Black Swan have a lot of grain, and was recorded with professional cameras. That so much grain was just the (dumb, in my opinion) option of the director named Aronofsky.

enjoy,
Mtz

Settings are in the file names and the screenshots are from the same video which was uploaded on YouTube and described few rows above.

I see that now when I hover over the file and see the filename in the address bar, I had just clicked on them previously and wasn't clear which was meant to be which

I'm not really finding any valid reason to keep 720p as an option, I think if I offer a lower bitrate option for 1080p though it will satisfy anyone that wants to extend their recording time and will still offer better results than most 720p does anyway, even now I find most customers don't use the lower bitrates so it's more for marketing purposes to say you can get X amount of hours recording time than it is for any practical purposes

Yes, you are right. But if using 720p in parking mode?

enjoy,
Mtz

Yes, you are right. But if using 720p in parking mode?

enjoy,
Mtz

I think for our case you want to use one or the other, we wouldn't for example switch from a 1080p recording to 720p for parking mode, I'd rather keep it at 1080p and don't compromise quality, still working on the parking mode strategy to see what we can do, there's a few options

I saw at some dashcam lower FPS for parking mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

I saw at some dashcam lower FPS for parking mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

that's certainly an option, we'll have more storage space at our disposal than with previous products so not such an issue as it might have been in the past

reason I ask is I'm considering pulling 720p and just having 1080p only (I already deleted the other useless resolutions) but offering a selectable low bitrate option if people want to save file space, we're doing dual memory card models so I don't see space as a major reason anyway but just trying to get some feedback from others on when and why you would want to use 720p mode

From another posting:
jokiin said:
the thought was (and let me know what you think) to remove 720p as an option, offer 1080p at 5Mbit/sec as a space saver option, the regular 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 we have now and then offer 20Mbit/sec option as an extreme setting

My feelings are: If we're talking running out of code space, putting the code space toward extra options for different bit rates is a much better deal for the user.

We're not out of space but it never hurts to have a bit more, we already have a lot more functionality in our cameras than most anyway, I just see 720p as counter productive anyway, I've already stripped a lot of the junk functionality out, just fine tuning a few things now

Back