Mobius

Yeah I looked at the manual again and it only starts up (auto records) in Video Mode 1.
And to quote the manual:
  • If the camera has been configured with "Auto Record" set to OFF (default setting), the camera will switch to Video Mode 1 (yellow LED) and remain in standby mode untill a button is pressed or Auto-Power-Off times out.

Everything is possible, - matter or re-programming a firmware. Big job, but it can be done. Talk to "isoprop", he is good in this.

Separately, I'm confused about the rear LED. It's not mentioned or seen in the Aug version of the manual.
I gather it's supposed to be on when recording, but I get into a mode where it is on, but the top LED is dark.
What does that mean?

Separately, I'm confused about the rear LED. It's not mentioned or seen in the Aug version of the manual.
I gather it's supposed to be on when recording, but I get into a mode where it is on, but the top LED is dark.
What does that mean?
The rear LED indicates if the camera is recording or not. It will blink when recording, otherwise it will be on when the camera is in standby, except, maybe, at startup, before any buttons are pressed.
The developer implemented the rear LED especially for dashcam users, BTW ;)
If you have the recording LED disabled in the setup, the rear LED will not blink during recording.
The functionality of the rear LED will be described in the upcoming manual. There is added functionality in the upcoming firmware release, and I didn't want to publish an 'in-between' manual that will soon be incorrect.
I have never seen the rear LED on when the other LEDs are off. This is not possible, IMO.

I have never seen the rear LED on when the other LEDs are off. This is not possible, IMO.

I didn't know the rear LED would blink off when recording; I thought it would blink on.
Does the blinking occur in time-lapse?

I always seem to get into impossible situations/events, alas.
I'm glad to hear an expanded manual is coming. Thank you for you efforts.

I'm still learning by playing, but I seem to be stuck at a vital point:

1. I have it plugged into the USB for power.
  2. Auto Record is 0
  3. It's powering up in Yellow mode.
  4. I need to get it into Red [time-lapse] mode. [Since I can't make that the power-up default, I now know...]
  5. So I hit the mode button; no change, still yellow. Huh?

How do I set it up so I can get into time-lapse mode while powered?
Can I then start/stop time-lapse with the shutter button?
Will the rear LED blink on every exposure?

Last edited:
Press the Mode button a couple of times until it gets into 'red' mode.
Usually it's Video Mode 1 ==> Video Mode 2 ==> Photo Mode

1. I have it plugged into the USB for power.
  2. Auto Record is 0
  3. It's powering up in Yellow mode.
  4. I need to get it into Red [time-lapse] mode. [Since I can't make that the power-up default, I now know...]
  5. So I hit the mode button; no change, still yellow. Huh?
How do I set it up so I can get into time-lapse mode while powered?
You have it connected to your PC, so the Mobius is connecting as an external disk drive.
You must use external power that doesn't use any handshaking, i.e. pins 2 and 3 must not be connected. All you need is a +5V and a ground.

Either that or use a USB CHARGE ONLY cable that does not have the other pins...

You have it connected to your PC, so the Mobius is connecting as an external disk drive.
You must use external power that doesn't use any handshaking, i.e. pins 2 and 3 must not be connected. All you need is a +5V and a ground.

Thanks for the input.

I'd dismounted the filesystem on the machine but it made no difference.
I just tried running it off of a powered USB hub, but that was no help, either.

I'll try a 12V->5VDC adapter on a car.

pins 2 and 3 must not be connected. All you need is a +5V and a ground.

What if they are shorted together? It looks like my 12V->5C adapters are built that way.

Update: the 12V->5V regulator with 2&3 shorted works fine on the camera. It's snapping away at 0.5 Hz, while powered.

Last edited:
There is a new version of firmware. The best is to download mSetup and using it to download and install firmware.
You can see the new options in the mSetup GUI.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
There is a new version of firmware. The best is to download mSetup and using it to download and install firmware.
You can see the new options in the mSetup GUI.

enjoy,
Mtz

Strange,
I downloaded mSetup, but antivirus scanner giving me a warning message "mallicious".
Any comment on that ?

mSetup warning message.jpg

Usually Unfocused said:
Should I really fear the direct approach of loading the firmware to flash, and executing the upgrade from there? What does chasing down a Windoze machine to use buy me for this task?

I used to use the Text only method on my Mac, but once you use mSetup on a PC there's no going back really.
Too many possible pitfalls using the geeky way but it can be done if so inclined. But nah, I just bring it to the office and use the Windows 7 machine there. ;)
Niko - if you downloaded mSetup from the proper place there is no problem with the software, although I have yet to install the latest version released this week.

Last edited:
I used to use the Text only method on my Mac, but once you use mSetup on a PC there's no going back really.
Too many possible pitfalls using the geeky way but it can be done if so inclined. But nah, I just bring it to the office and use the Windows 7 machine there. ;)
Niko - if you downloaded mSetup from the proper place there is no problem with the software, although I have yet to install the latest version released this week.

I clicked on Mtz posted link which took me to:
http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/

mSetup Download link.jpg

Then I would think that it's safe to proceed as that is the right site

Then I would think that it's safe to proceed as that is the right site

I know its the right site.
Just wanted to draw site admin attention on warning message, which can scare away many people who would like to download from there.
There is no problem for me to scann downloaded file before saving it, but to some people it can give alert of miss-trust.

Strange,
I downloaded mSetup, but antivirus scanner giving me a warning message "mallicious".
Any comment on that ?

View attachment 1701
I don't know what anti virus program you are using, but it's showing you a false positive.
Agreed, the program contains some pretty low-level USB routines and also connects to the internet if you allow it to, but there is no assembler or disk manipulation code whatsoever.
I also don't have the time or the money to digitally sign a freeware program, so it's obviously not signed!
My development PC is used for development only. It's not used for surfing and no email client or java is installed. It is also protected by an external hardware firewall and there is no Wireless LAN or connection to drop box and co.
So long as you are the only person receiving the message and you download from the official site you are safe.

Back