Mobius

Hey guys. Just ordered one along with a suction cup. Quick question. What's the best adapter I can get for my car to power this? I was thinking of finding some sort of cigarette lighter I could wire into my fuse box. And use a USB cigarette charger in it. Is there a better way you guys did it? Maybe a direct usb charger wired into your car? I don't want to use it with my current cigarette lighter charger because it stays on even if the car is off. I'd drain my battery.

I wired in this socket http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065 ... UTF8&psc=1 using this Add-a-Circuit http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA200 ... +a+circuit to tap into the fuse box (I tapped into the radio fuse). Then I ran this shielded USB cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/271085683654?va ... 1439.l2649 from the camera down to the socket. At the socket I used a USB adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/121141730552?ss ... 1439.l2649 to convert from 12v to USB (5v).

Most of this stuff is available from an auto parts store except for the 10' cable. USB adapters are not very reliable so I would not recommend wiring one in permanently, the socket is a better way. Also be sure to use a shielded cable and test your car radio for interference from the USB adapter. If there is interference to the radio, you may need to try another brand of USB adapter (another reason to use a socket). The power adapter/cable that came with my DR32 camera was very noisy and I could not use it and still play the radio.

Can a non-shielded cable affect GPS reception? My smartphone satnav keeps losing GPS lock and I'm wondering if the Mobius is contributing to this, although unplugging the cable from the usb adapter doesn't immediately restore the gps reception.

TonyM said:
Can a non-shielded cable affect GPS reception? My smartphone satnav keeps losing GPS lock and I'm wondering if the Mobius is contributing to this, although unplugging the cable from the usb adapter doesn't immediately restore the gps reception.

Thats familiar situation i had with some dash cams. Majority its not the power cable, but electromagnetic waves from dash camera board inerfering other gps units. Advanced Korean dash cams I took apart they had metal shield cover over almost half of the board especially where cpu located. Also cmos sensor was also covered with metal shield cover to stop interferings coming out.
I guess you can try to build DIY match box size box from thin metal, place mobius into that box and test if interference with gps is gone. If test is positive then you can built more precise and smaller in size shield to position it inside mobius to cover main board. But it is delicate job.
Also instead of inner metal shield cover you can paint inner case of mobius with paint containing metal particals. For example car rear window heating / demister stripes repair paint ( Permatex ) it has high concentration of metal in it, so this way you can also create an inner electromagnetic shield.

TonyM said:
My Garmin Nuvi GPS sits on the dashboard directly below a DR32 dash cam, and the GPS is not effected. You may need to experiment with all the various combinations of camera/cable/usb adapter connected/disconnected to determine what exactly is causing the interference with GPS reception. I think it's unlikely that just the cable only would interfere with the GPS as there are lots of unshielded wires in a car.

Thanks for the suggestions. However further testing today points to the smartphone being the problem as there were times I lost GPS even with the Mobius unplugged. It needs to go away for repair to the WiFi module anyway so I'll test it again when it comes back from repair.

TonyM said:
Thanks for the suggestions. However further testing today points to the smartphone being the problem as there were times I lost GPS even with the Mobius unplugged. It needs to go away for repair to the WiFi module anyway so I'll test it again when it comes back from repair.

May I ask what smartphone make / model it is ?

super max said:
That's the standard mount that comes with the DR32 dash cam. It does work well, and the 3M tape can be replaced if you have to move the mount.

I didn't get a mount....

niko said:
TonyM said:

Also instead of inner metal shield cover you can paint inner case of mobius with paint containing metal particals. For example car rear window heating / demister stripes repair paint ( Permatex ) it has high concentration of metal in it, so this way you can also create an inner electromagnetic shield.

I noticed a bad gps on my phone as well, and was blaming the darn thing to be going faulty, but it may be a good idea to test this out...... !!

Instead of paint maybe we could also use adhesive aluminum tape on inside.....? No problem wit heat?

dirkzelf said:
I didn't get a mount....

The basic Mobius pack does not include a screen mount to reduce costs - many other users fix theirs to model aeroplanes or bike helmets for instance - so you need to buy one separately.

The suction cup mount works fine and I used it to help find the best position on the screen. However once I had found the best location I preferred the smaller adhesive mount that is less noticeable from outside.

How do you aim the Mobius?

Do you remove the SD and view the video on a computer, or can you connect a remote monitor to the camera to aim it?

dirkzelf said:
niko said:
TonyM said:

I noticed a bad gps on my phone as well, and was blaming the darn thing to be going faulty, but it may be a good idea to test this out...... !!

Instead of paint maybe we could also use adhesive aluminum tape on inside.....? No problem wit heat?

There are many different DIY ways can be used as a shield. Dont know how much free space has Mobius inside. If space allows, then can try any kind of shield material ( be careful not to touch any microchips or any other board elements ), but of course aluminium tape should be also a solution. Before going with wrapping it from inside, you can wrap aluminium tape from outside of the Mobius and see if it makes difference with your GPS. If yes, then you found solution and can start wrapping from inside, which is more delicate procedure.
Of course there are different thickness's of aluminum tape and dont know how many layers do you need to use, or how thick should be a proper shield. I know that those Korean dash cams I looked inside, they used some kind of metal ( aluminium / steel ? )-type casing to shield major conponents like CPU, RAM, CMOS sensor etc. See pics below.

you see half of board from both sides is under shield, also CMOS sensor has shield casing

below you can see I have removed shield casing to look inside

here I have removed CMOS sensor shield casing to look inside

Attachments

• a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 350
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 348
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 347
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 350
super max said:
How do you aim the Mobius?

Do you remove the SD and view the video on a computer, or can you connect a remote monitor to the camera to aim it?

One way is test and try as you described, but it can be pain in the _ _ _ .
Best is to have special Mobius AV cable connected to car head unit with monitor or any other portable monitor with RCA Video IN :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TV-Out-Cable-for ... 2a2e55fbf0

Is it not also possible to aim the camera using the android app / smartphone ?

sludgeguts said:

If you will go trough rcgroups forum mobius thread, you will find an answer. I havnt had time to follow whole thread.
Will be getting mobius full complete set within few days and over the upcoming weekend will test how it works with android smart phone using special AV cable that I bought as an optional accessory.

tested the influence from mobius on my phone's GPS, and i can tell you it's there! GPS on phone is on, working nicely, switching mobius camera on, after a few seconds GPS is lost, switching mobius back off brings GPS right back. So, I have to keep them about 30 cm apart from eachother, then it's fine.

niko said:
sludgeguts said:

If you will go trough rcgroups forum mobius thread, you will find an answer. I havnt had time to follow whole thread.

At present the Android app does not feature live video, although I understand it is being worked on.

Back