Mobius

dirkzelf said:
tested the influence from mobius on my phone's GPS, and i can tell you it's there! GPS on phone is on, working nicely, switching mobius camera on, after a few seconds GPS is lost, switching mobius back off brings GPS right back. So, I have to keep them about 30 cm apart from eachother, then it's fine.
I seem to be having trouble with my TomTom app, although Sygic and CoPilot so far appear unaffected. Still trying to determine if it's an app, phone or Mobius issue for me.

dirkzelf said:
tested the influence from mobius on my phone's GPS, and i can tell you it's there! GPS on phone is on, working nicely, switching mobius camera on, after a few seconds GPS is lost, switching mobius back off brings GPS right back. So, I have to keep them about 30 cm apart from eachother, then it's fine.

Did you test with usb power cable connected for power feed or without?
Try both ways to find out if problem caused by device, power cable or both of them.

niko said:
dirkzelf said:

Did you test with usb power cable connected for power feed or without?
Try both ways to find out if problem caused by device, power cable or both of them.

May I ask why? The problem is solved for me, I left the cable on, because it HAS to be in the car for continuous recording.

However I don't believe it's the cable since that is wired close to the phone at setup.

But you may have a point, so I will try tomorrow without the charger cable.

I had in the past different causes with some dash cams. Never tested mobius, still waiting for it to arrive. But best way is to eliminate step by step each possible cause to get final verdict.

niko said:
I had in the past different causes with some dash cams. Never tested mobius, still waiting for it to arrive. But best way is to eliminate step by step each possible cause to get final verdict.

Right, well like I said, I will test it recording tomorrow w/o the USB cable.

I had the recording status light disabled today, and didn't lose GPS at all on my 60mile drive home - it usually goes once or twice, sometimes more than 5 times. Probably just a coincidence as I don't understand why turning off a simple led would affect the interference?

I'll keep the status led off for my commute tomorrow and report back later.

That status light has been reported to cause a low humming or buzzing sound on recordings as well, just like the 808 #16 before it.

I've now managed 4 hours driving without losing GPS since I switched off the flashing led.

I suppose I ought to switch it back on again to check if this is a solution, or just a coincidence.

niko said:

OK, I've tried without USB charger cable attached, and it blocks GPS occasionally, but with USB charger cable attached, and actually charging, I get no GPS at all. Removing the cable results in the return of GPS, and it will still sometimes loose the signal, but when I place the two apart for about 30 cm, I have GPS all the time.

So there it is.

I still need to test with the recording LED off......

TonyM said:
I've now managed 4 hours driving without losing GPS since I switched off the flashing led.

I suppose I ought to switch it back on again to check if this is a solution, or just a coincidence.

please let us know how that goes!

I reported the gps issue to the RC Groups forum. It seems at least one user has had intermittent GPS on his model plane whilst flying with a Mobius attached.

I will report back if they have any solutions.

TonyM said:
I reported the gps issue to the RC Groups forum. It seems at least one user has had intermittent GPS on his model plane whilst flying with a Mobius attached.

I will report back if they have any solutions.

I know Tom Frank dont like dash cam related questions addressed there ( if you read that forum disclaimer ), but as I can see, "we" ( dash cam users ) can be helpful to each other ( to RC users ).
Hope they take your notice seriously and developer will fix that issue.

RC users suffer from the same GPS issues, so it's not just a dashcam query

TonyM said:

I am glad that RC users raised this issue as well, - this way we might get solution even quicker. Some time "they" ignore or not in a hurry to solve issues which are not RC users related. But this time is different.

niko said:
TonyM said:

I am glad that RC users raised this issue as well, - this way we might get solution even quicker. Some time "they" ignore or not in a hurry to solve issues which are not RC users related. But this time is different.

the RC crowd use GPS for the return to home function when their toys fly out of range, start losing a few $10,000 helicopters and they'll probably find a fix would be most welcome

I reported recently that the recording indicator light might influence GPS reception. I've now driven a few hours with the led on and off, and I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

It seems more likely that the phone is getting hot and affecting the gps unit, or the satnav app is a bit flaky. It struggled to maintain GPS on the M62 today with the Mobius completely off. I checked with the GPS Test app and the signal seemed ok (8 satellites, accuracy 1m).

can I buy a mobius camera module ribbon cable = + sensor + lens camera?
if possible, where?

because I have spoiled my first Mobius camera module.

Best regards
Suso

susobarral said:
can I buy a mobius camera module ribbon cable = + sensor + lens camera?
if possible, where?

because I have spoiled my first Mobius camera module.

Best regards
Suso

I am also looking for some DIY replacements, especially wider lens. Got lens extension cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-20cm-26PIN-Le ... 232dc1d924

As per TomFrank review in the "Vendors" topic, info about parts you need to contact vendors in order to get correct parts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st25170901

Vendors

The following web stores have been verified by the developer as selling the real Mobius camera, replacement parts and accessories with a commitment to customer satisfaction, both before and after a sale, if any problems are found when the hardware is put into service and not caused by user abuse, crash damage, etc. If parts are not listed on their sites, use their web site email contact link to request what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has somebody attached polarizing filter to Mobius cam? I have used Mobius a few weeks now, and the dashboard reflections are horrible when sun is at right (or wrong) angle. Or should it be better to fix somekind of tube shade between camera lens and windscreen? I'm afraid that cheap polarizing filters may cause bad lens flares when sun hits the lens, so I think maybe I skip cheapest filter solutions. :roll:

Back