Mobius

I really want to like this thing, but it's just not working properly. I've swapped out the memory card twice, and it still will not function as advertised. Maybe I have a lemon.

Using the latest firmware I have auto power-on record set to on. When the camera is powered on for the first time it seems to work just fine. Pull the power after a minute and it immediatly turns off. The video is not saved to the memory card. Plug the power back in and nothing happens. The until will not respond to any button presses for 2-3 minutes. Anyone else experiencing this?

teej said:
I really want to like this thing, but it's just not working properly. I've swapped out the memory card twice, and it still will not function as advertised. Maybe I have a lemon.

Using the latest firmware I have auto power-on record set to on. When the camera is powered on for the first time it seems to work just fine. Pull the power after a minute and it immediatly turns off. The video is not saved to the memory card. Plug the power back in and nothing happens. The until will not respond to any button presses for 2-3 minutes. Anyone else experiencing this?

Usually in the past with some other dash cams I had similar symptoms ( last file not saved ) was because of dead / empty or faulty battery. Try to charge Mobius battery for 1h then reset all settings, then format microsd card inside Mobius ( not on PC ). If still the same bug, then it might be a faulty battery.

niko said:
Usually in the past with some other dash cams I had similar symptoms ( last file not saved ) was because of dead / empty or faulty battery. Try to charge Mobius battery for 1h then reset all settings, then format microsd card inside Mobius ( not on PC ). If still the same bug, then it might be a faulty battery.

Just tried it and experienced exactly the same issue. I'll try a replacement.

Hi everyone,
I am from www.JooVuu.com and we are currently the #1 seller of the Mobius Camera in Europe and the cheapest. The standard lens is £59.50 whilst the wide angle lens is £60 both come with free shipping to anywhere in the world. We also stock all accessories for the Mobius Action Camera and more and are continually expanding our range daily. We are based in the UK/EU so can ship very quickly within the EU and the rest of the world. Within the EU takes 3-4 days. Domestic is next day. So please check us out and any feedback is always welcome at info@joovuu.com or PM on here. We also have a competition on at the moment where all you have to do is like our facebook page (facebook.com/joovuu) and/or our twitter page (twitter.com/joovuu) and you will automatically be entered into a competition to win a Mobius and accessory package!
Kind regards,
JooVuu

Last edited by a moderator:
JooVuu said:
Hi everyone,
I am from http://www.JooVuu.com and we are currently the #1 seller of the Mobius Camera in Europe and the cheapest. The standard lens is £59.50 whilst the wide angle lens is £60 both come with free shipping to anywhere in the world. We also stock all accessories for the Mobius Action Camera and more and are continually expanding our range daily. We are based in the UK/EU so can ship very quickly within the EU and the rest of the world. Within the EU takes 3-4 days. Domestic is next day. So please check us out and any feedback is always welcome at info@joovuu.com or PM on here. We also have a competition on at the moment where all you have to do is like our facebook page (facebook.com/joovuu) and/or our twitter page (twitter.com/joovuu) and you will automatically be entered into a competition to win a Mobius and accessory package!
Kind regards,
JooVuu

Thanks for info, but you have double-posts copy-paste here and in Vendors Sites and Offers:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2504

I think all advertisement-type announcements should be kept in proper sub-forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't take much for Mobius to make an ideal dash-cam version.

(1) Use a wider angle lens.

(2) Put a large capacitor in place of the battery.

(3) Maybe a bigger or better heat-sink on top of the camera.

That's only a few minor changes in manufacturing to better address the dash-cam market.

Bob Diaz

I don't agree with the "wide angle" because you will loose quality with a wider angle the actual Mobius angle is pretty wide and the vehicles and stuff directly in front of you are looking on the video like they're far away.

I don't agree with the "wide angle" because you will loose quality with a wider angle the actual Mobius angle is pretty wide and the vehicles and stuff directly in front of you are looking on the video like they're far away.
With lower quality lens and low resolution recording ( 720p ), - I agree with you. You can even find Mtz made comparison video on 808 series keychain cameras, but its all different with newer generation CPU, CMOS and good high quality wide angle lenses.
I tested few dash cams with wide view lenses and there was no problem to read numberplates.
Of course we dont know what quality wide view lenses mobius vendors will be offering. Only real tests will tell.

With lower quality lens and low resolution recording ( 720p ), - I agree with you. You can even find Mtz made comparison video on 808 series keychain cameras, but its all different with newer generation CPU, CMOS and good high quality wide angle lenses.
I tested few dash cams with wide view lenses and there was no problem to read numberplates.
Of course we dont know what quality wide view lenses mobius vendors will be offering. Only real tests will tell.

I saw Mtz's videos. For my personal use the Mobius as enough wide angle I realy wouldn't like more.

I'm thinking about getting another Mobius cam, what do you guys think about removing this part of the camera (with the arrow on the picture) to get better air circulation and to avoid the overheating or do you think it will get even worse?

Foto1.JPG

Drilling holes on both sides of the case should help.

I know but I still want to know if it would help to to cool the temperature down instrad of drilling holes put the mobius togehter without the small metal and the radiator?

I know but I still want to know if it would help to to cool the temperature down instrad of drilling holes put the mobius togehter without the small metal and the radiator?

I see your point and agree with you in some way. By removing radiators from mobius will open more heat discipation from inside. For dash cams it might work because "we" use them inside car, so no need to worry about for example water ( rain ) going inside the unit. For RC users I think they can not allow this risk.

Looking at a photo of the board, the heatsink is there to remove heat from two critical chips.

a5889732-55-P6280048.jpg

If you remove the heatsink, you are removing a means of pulling the heat away from these chips and expecting extra airflow to make up the difference. IF that worked, WHY don't we see that on computer mother boards? With heat sinks, greater surface area results in increased cooling. That's why good heatsinks have ridges or several exposed edges. In extreme cases like most PCs today, an extra fan blows air across the heatsink.

11900.Jpg

5128.Jpg

Removing the heatsink lowers the surface area and reduces cooling. It might work IF you put a fan over the open hole, but the best solution is adding an extra heatsink with more surface area on top.

Bob Diaz

I'm thinking about getting another Mobius cam, what do you guys think about removing this part of the camera (with the arrow on the picture) to get better air circulation and to avoid the overheating or do you think it will get even worse?

Foto1.JPG

Bob Diaz is also right. I never tested Mobius by removing heat sink, so it was only "a might be working" idea from user "germany".
I support idea of drilling extra holes at both sides, - this way it creates free air-flow to "pull out" heat which is "trapped" inside mobius case. Hope you see my point.

Mounted In-car, Mobius heat sink can be also "attracting" a heat from direct or indirect sunlight or from inner car accumulated temperature. So, without "fan" like used in PC-s, heat sink can play negative role as well by not helping discipation, but by "collecting" a heat as well ( depending on circumstances ). By drilling a holes in both side you create free air-flow, which helps for heat dissipation.

Looking at a photo of the board, the heatsink is there to remove heat from two critical chips.

a5889732-55-P6280048.jpg

If you remove the heatsink, you are removing a means of pulling the heat away from these chips and expecting extra airflow to make up the difference. IF that worked, WHY don't we see that on computer mother boards? With heat sinks, greater surface area results in increased cooling. That's why good heatsinks have ridges or several exposed edges. In extreme cases like most PCs today, an extra fan blows air across the heatsink.

11900.Jpg

5128.Jpg

Removing the heatsink lowers the surface area and reduces cooling. It might work IF you put a fan over the open hole, but the best solution is adding an extra heatsink with more surface area on top.

Bob Diaz

I understand your point but I don't think we can compare real heat sinks on mainboards with this small plate on the mobius. I think this little thing can't avoid a lot of heat.

So I thought maybe someone has tested the mobius a lot of hours without the small plate (which we call heatsink)

With this heat which is actually on the mobius cam I'm afraid of the case will melt or even burn.

is this heatsink on the top or bottom when mounted for car use?

I can mount it bouth ways because in the menu is a point to turn the picture 180 degrees.

But actially the heatsink is on the bottom. (Mounted under the mirror)

I can mount it bouth ways because in the menu is a point to turn the picture 180 degrees.

But actially the heatsink is on the bottom. (Mounted under the mirror)
Heat rises so I suspect mounting it with the heatsink side down isn't really doing it any favours

Back